Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane THEO Game Maker - the 3D editor that was used to create Arx Fatalis

ds

Cipher
Patron
This was the 3D editor used to create the models and levels in Arx Fatalis but there is almost nothing about this tool on the internet. Raphael Colantonio confirmed that this is the tool they used.

Only the following screenshots have survived, which I have tracked back to a post on the (most likely unrelated) Game Maker forums but the embedded images are gone and the Internet Archive doesn't have a copy of them or any hints were they are from.

Normal_Theo_scenes01.jpg

Normal_Theo_scenes02.jpg

Normal_theo_painter.jpg

Normal_theo-anim.jpg

The editor is also shown in the making of Arx Fatalis video included with some physical releases of the Arx Fatalis:

Not sure if there are any useful leads in there because I don't speak much French.

This tool spits out (potentially rigged) models (.teo files), animations for them (.tea files) and scene meshes (.scn files). The released AF source code does contain code to read these formats - .tea files ship with the game, .teo and .scn files don't as they are baked into AF-specific formats.

And that's pretty much all I have been able to find. Don't even know which company made it, but it's not an Arkane-internal tool. Can't even find the original source for the screenshots.

Mind you this is a different tool from Arx Fatalis' level editor (DANAE, a special build of the engine executable with editor controls) which was included with the open-sourced game code (minus licensed middle-ware tools).

Has anyone heard of this THEO Game Maker? Was it used anywhere else?

Last edited:

Old Hans

Arcane
ive never heard of the THEO game maker and if I did ever hear of it, or work with it, it is classified DoD information

ds

Cipher
Patron
Lajos aka Noden Gaming informed me that the screenshots come from an RPGDot gallery with full resolution versions archived here (I have updated the images linked in the original post):

https://rpgdot.rpgwatch.com/localho...l?level=3&sort=&from=0&d2=4&d3=Editor&d4=&d5=

I haven't found what article (if any) they were part of so no additional info yet. But I did find this artwork depicting the dev team lol:
Arx_Team.jpg

Lajos also pointed me to the fan blog at https://web.archive.org/web/20020424051433/http://notrecause.free.fr/ which has another THEO screenshot, this time with the ice dragon. But sadly only the thumbnail was archived:
THEO_dragon.jpg

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Looks a lot like early versions of 3DS MAX.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom