Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview The Witcher interview

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Role-Player said:
But then you take all that guilt, transform it into a power trip, and turn the dagger in a 180º degree motion and go 'stabbity death' on others.

I just had a picture of Rex going through a series of robotic Power Rangers poses, leaping into the air afterwards while screaming "STABBITY DEATH ATTAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!"

Scary. :shock:

Mike CDPR]

Novice
Hi Elwro, Hi Everyone!

(from the newbie here;)

First I'd like to apologize if our answers weren't accurate enough! We did our best but as usual we answered in hurry and we missed some really important things :(

It is a great pity because in fact the game is non-linear and we spent quite a lot of time designing it. I'll try to answer this question again here:

14. Is the story linear? Is it divided into chapters or can we freely travel around the world and discover new locations and threads of the story?

The story is not linear. Depending on the Geralt decisions different things will happen. The game has three different endings and most of the quests can be accomplished in several ways. It’s worth to mention that the endings are different depending on the choices made throughout the whole adventure. Our approach is to give as much freedom as we can to the game which concentrates on the storytelling. Small example of this is a fact that player will be able to attack ALL met characters (including friends) and most of them kill (some are just too powerful). Of course killing people is quite easy but then you have to deal with consequences...

However there are some events which eventually occur in the game world and they are not depend on the Geralt actions. We have influence on the game world in many aspects but we cannot change "big history". It is hard even for the witcher to change the result of the whole war (for example:)

The Witcher is divided into chapters. Game architecture is similar in some aspects to BG and Fallout. You can travel between far locations on the main map, but first you need to discover them. After that you can travel freely between them during approximately 80% of the game. In some situations it wouldn't be possible, but it will be caused by some events in the world (not because designer made some places "grey" and not accessible on the map;) The distances are big and the roads are dangerous so your journey may be interrupted sometimes...

One more thing is that we planed really big amount of side quests not connected with the main story. More experienced RPG player will for sure explore them, newbie will rather follow the main plot. There are also some random quests, mostly typical witcher assignments like find and kill monster for money.

I hope that this time the answer was more precise and If you have more questions please let me know!

Cheers,

Mike
CDProjekt RED

Astromarine

Erudite
Hi Mike. That was damage control, but it was the good kind: going back, saying you screwed up, and fixing it.

The final answer is pretty satisfactory too. I'm not saying I'll *like* your game, but you managed to stop my recent feeling that maybe it wasn't even worth buying. If nothing changes till release, I'm pretty sure I will (I bought Lionheart, after all. I'm a sucker). As for what happens after... I sincerely hope I'll enjoy your game

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Holy cow, it seems that my actions had some positive consequences after all!!! I'll leave you all in blissful ignorance of the horrible mess my cultural and mild-tempered (I think) posts resulted in on the Polish boards. Mike's post was just the type of reaction I hoped I'd get.

The question about the dialogue system remains unanswered, alas.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Wow, thanks for answering our questions. It definitely makes me feel better about the game. Like many others, I was worried that the game would be completely linear.

Earthan

Novice
Elwro said:
OK, I was flamed, called a n00b, and then the thread got locked.
I haven't seen such a board in a while.

Dont worry , i experienced the same reaction , and my post was only " good luck to the project, im awaiting"

I hate to say it it as im polish , but the peeps out there on these forums seems ultra jerks .

Some kind of sealed brotherhood who make good to themselve and flame all outsiders .

Anyway game isnt done by forums dorks, but by devs who dont have time to visit it, so Im still awaiting the game with anticipation.The attitude on forums deosnt mean much to the game.

The witcher books were really great:)

Elwro

Arcane
Earthan said:
I'm still awaiting the game with anticipation.The attitude on forums deosnt mean much to the game.
The witcher books were really great:)
Coen, right? Check your PMs there because I think that one guy wanted to apologize or sth.
I'm with you on all three of the above points. Too bad I hear that the German translation of the books was bad. I hope he'll get translated into English, as he certainly deserves that...

PS You're Polish, not polish. :D

Earthan

Novice
Yes Coen.

Sorry to hear translations of Wticher are bad, would hope it can aslo be a hit worldwide ...:(

Elwro

Arcane
Earthan said:
Sorry to hear translations of Wticher are bad(
I'm not talking generally here; I only referred to Germany. I heard Sapkowski's a hit in Spain, can anyone confirm that?

Thydron

Liturgist
It'd be nice to know if these multiple endings happened just at the end of the game ala DX-IW, where you can back a certain side until the very end, then switch in the last 10 seconds of the game,
or if your actions throughout the game will block certain endings from ever happening which would be nice to see.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom