Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The "what was that game called...?" thread

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
This is probably just a one-off, but we'll see. I need to know the name of this game, but I can only (mis)remember details about it.

In the mid-90s, I used to love Sierra demodiscs. I would literally play every title on the disc. By the CD era, this was quite a feat; you'd get free discs with what felt like hundreds but was probably dozens of demos, organized by developer. (Sierra was at this point at a massive publisher with numerous studios under its umbrella.)

One of these demos was an adventure game sent in ancient Greece. The demo was pretty fun, but I never did play the full version. I'm pretty sure it was low-quality FMV but still third-person in typical Sierra adventure game style. I don't remember anything about what you did in the game, except that there were gods and mythical creatures involved.

I thought the game was by Dynamix, but I've looked through the entirety of Dynamix's roster, followed by the entirety of Sierra's roster, followed by a Wikipedia list of adventure games released in the 1990s (1993-1997), and I couldn't find anything.

Additionally, if anybody knows how to get your hands on pirated versions of these demopacks on the Internet, that would be super. My favourite pack had everything from the Betrayal of Krondor demo to the Willy Beamish demo on it, including lots of cool stuff like noninteractive Quest for Glory cinematics featuring scenes that weren't in the final game.

Any clues?

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I actually am pretty sure I know which game you're talking about, and that I played that very demo myself, but the name eludes me at the moment. I'll look into it. In the meantime, you can download many of those old demos (for adventure games at least) from the ScummVM webpage: http://www.scummvm.org/demos/

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wrath of the Gods?

218588-wrath-of-the-gods-windows-3-x-screenshot-the-hero-and-his.png

Pretty sure I played the demo for this off a CGW or PCGamer disc.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Wow, I fucked up all the details and you still got it right. Thanks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom