Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Thaumaturge releasing on December 5th

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Fool's Theory; The Thaumaturge

Warsaw, Poland - October 9th, 2023 — The art of the thaumaturge involves peering deep into the human soul. While this might sound elegant, even Wiktor Szulski, our main protagonist in the upcoming RPG developed by Fool’s Theory and published by 11 bit studios, occasionally has to get his hands dirty. During Steam Next Fest, running from Oct. 9 through 16, players can experience The Thaumaturge for themselves in an all-new demo, which offers a prologue introducing them to the beginning of Wiktor's story.

In addition, 11 bit studios is excited to reveal that The Thaumaturge will be making its way to PC on December 5th, 2023. Console versions (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S) are planned for early 2024.

After a lengthy time away, Wiktor returns to a Warsaw that feels familiar, yet he is also discovering how much has changed during his absence. The year is 1905, and the city thrives with culture but is also plagued by crime and the conflicting interests of a multicultural society. For Salutors, demons that feed on human flaws and can only be controlled by Thaumaturges, street thugs are no match, just like others who resort to violence to make their point. However, the gift they bestow upon their master—or perhaps a curse, depending on one's perspective—extends beyond mere combat.

Ordinary people struggle to comprehend that the boundary separating good from evil is hazy and elusive. Some might firmly believe their despicable deeds are the work of inner demons, but what they may never know is if those demons were manipulated by a thaumaturge bending their will to some other far-reaching plans.

The Thaumaturge possesses an arsenal of extraordinary power, and with experience, can further refine both his own abilities and those of his Salutors. Nevertheless, he must always be mindful that the boundary between thaumaturgy and insanity can be ambiguous.

The Thaumaturge will arrive on December 5th for PC. Console versions (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S) are planned for early 2024. Experience the prologue demo during Steam Next Fest running from today until October 16th.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Ultra-streamlined, high production standard, low depth kind of game where everything is voice acted and "cinematic"

Seen enough of that during the Dark age of RPGs (2004-2012) so no thanks

I'm concerned that luj1 is correct, but I'm not going to write it off just yet. Grimdark pokemon with card mechanics is unfortunate, but I will look to the reviewers on this one.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Looks like a BT4 "puzzle combat" game
Looks more like JPRG/Darkest Dungeon combat. Obviously without all the added stuff in DD, like stress and controlling a team.
But the visual presentation is good (jank animations), audio sounds okay (generic music for the trailer). The UI we saw shows a linear looking character progression. The dialogue we saw shows skill checks, maybe associated resources. The enemies shown were visually diverse, but with that combat system, we can't tell if they are mechanically fun to fight.
They have a few other videos on that channel, short ones, showing different spirits, bit of gameplay, the main character speaking.

I'll check it out.

Jinn

Arcane
I'm intrigued. I like the setting and overall concept a lot.

I asked on the steam forums if the save data from the demo would transfer over to the full game. The developer liked the idea, but said it wasn't implemented yet. If they respond in the affirmative I'll play the demo and update everyone here.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
booted demo, seem charming but my 3080 is spinning like crazy even after lowering graphix settings

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
booted demo, seem charming but my 3080 is spinning like crazy even after lowering graphix settings
Happens for me as well. I think frames aren't capped, so your video card is going 900001 frames per second.
And STILL the guy at the bottom took ~1 second to load his model and pop in, looked like he teleported.
20231010154853_1.jpg

Also was the game called Grimoire at some past point?
20231010154853_1.jpg

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Happens for me as well. I think frames aren't capped, so your video card is going 900001 frames per second.
which is why I cap frames in nvidia control panel these days. Too many games do it, some go crazy even in main menu.
However, this one is bad even with 60 hard fps cap. Only way I was able to tone fan down is when I went medium shadows/lightning and was inside that train station. Step outside and its full blast again.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
poles learn british english in schools.
if anything american english would be weird one, i can imagine it costs more too
You have the occasional Maxie, but people I've heard speaking English with Polish accents don't sound like Brits

elverkongen

Learned
poles learn british english in schools.
if anything american english would be weird one, i can imagine it costs more too
You have the occasional Maxie, but people I've heard speaking English with Polish accents don't sound like Brits

I hear a little bit of Pole-isms in the Thaumaturge trailer, but it sounds like a Pole is trying with all his might to mimic a British accent. I suppose if I were to play this game (most likely not based on the trailer), I'd just play in Polish with English subtitles.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
uhm... yeah?

im confused in what are you getting at so id go with lack of understanding.

Lets say you learn spanish. Your teacher happen to be colombian. Then you speak to someone in Madrid. Vocab aside, do you think that they will hear colombian flair?
No, you will be american.

Regarding 'gifted' people, they are rare and theory that proved itself in my life is that those who can sing well, learn accents well too.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Aren't these the guys who made Seven? That was pretty well-received.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Played through the demo. Its an interesting concept. The combat is both too simple, and too complicated. Hard to explain. The game runs like absolute shit, Cyberpunk puts less stress on my machine.
I'll try the full thing.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
British English is just better tho so that's a plus compared to American English.

Wouldn't mind having a Polish accented English tho, kinda funny when I talked with some supplier in Poland.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
British English is just better tho so that's a plus compared to American English.

Wouldn't mind having a Polish accented English tho, kinda funny when I talked with some supplier in Poland.
I agree with the producers of the Death of Stalin movie, and the Chernobyl series, that adding russian accent to a show where everyone is supposed to speak in russian, is dumb.
The accent makes sense if one character is russian and speaks english, and the others just speak english natively. It makes that one guy stand out. But if everyone is a russian speaking russian, the accent makes no sense. To the characters, it would be them speaking their own language, natively. So why add a funny accent?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Wouldn't mind having a Polish accented English tho
which game used that?
Nothing comes to my mind except Wolfenstein - The New Order when BJ is talking with grandparents of his future wife.

edit - and maybe voiced cutscenes in Frater - Well of Souls

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
i recall seeing some interview with polish actress doing gigs in hollywood and how big asset it is to speak english with various european accents, as it opens many doors

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom