Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The terribly shitty melee combat of Fallout: New Vegas

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This thread seemed to have way fewer replies than it should've; then i realized why.

Anyway i don't think combat is the focal point of why i play NV, or why anyone would paly NV since there are better FPS shooters out there i'd say.
I thought the devs actually managed to sprinkle up melee with a few interesting things, but at the end of the day if you don't like action-rpg combat or simply like to abuse the fuck out of strafing/kiting then you're bound to not be satisfied with it.
I really do think JSawyer mod solves, at least partly, HP bloating and makes for a better combat experience. Though i doubt you'd want to tackle deathclaws, particularly ones in LR with melee while using said mod.
Might be possible with Slasher+Psycho+MedX+SuperSlam. Not verified that yet though.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I always found cazadors far more deadly than deathclaws. Especially in close combat, I believe I also had some bug (unless it's intended) where using stimpacks while poisoned makes your hp decrease.
Guess the healing rate<poison rate.
Snake tourniquets are pretty handy though.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Dunno man Roguey appeared ro hate beards as lacking personal grooming or some otherthing. when josh was a clean shaved faggot. Ask Roguey now what he thinks of unshaved manly beards now. :smug:
I think beards are gross, but his reason for having one is practical (keeps his face warmer while cycling during the SoCal winter).

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
(keeps his face warmer while cycling during the SoCal winter).
:hmmm:

weather.jpg

:rage:

Cadmus

Arcane
The hardcore level of this place has been fouled. I don't understand what the fuck am I reading, why are you discussing a beard on a game developer? Why do you even care about these people, it's not like their work stands out so much you could tell what game they'd worked on just by playing it. Stupid fucking Chris Avelone and Josh Sawyer and Brian Fargo. Better go back to discussing what is an RPG.

Lhynn

Arcane
The hardcore level of this place has been fouled. I don't understand what the fuck am I reading, why are you discussing a beard on a game developer? Why do you even care about these people, it's not like their work stands out so much you could tell what game they'd worked on just by playing it. Stupid fucking Chris Avelone and Josh Sawyer and Brian Fargo. Better go back to discussing what is an RPG.
we are doing that in other threads, keep up.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

This thread is about new vegas melee combat what the fuck else are we gonna do?

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Chaotic_Heretic has a grudge against me and everything I like because I refused to give him a free game after I caught him insulting me behind my back. :)

He could have apologized and learned a lesson about the golden rule, but some people just have to double down on their negative behavior.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Chaotic_Heretic has a grudge against me and everything I like because I refused to give him a free game after I caught him insulting me behind my back. :)

He could have apologized and learned a lesson about the golden rule, but some people just have to double down on their negative behavior.

Was it fallout new vegas?

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
I am disappointed.
By the way, shouldn't this thread be named "The terribly shitty combat of Fallout: New Vegas?"
If you not, it seems like this implying that the rest of the combat is any good.
I actually enjoyed punching things more, specially with the teleport punch, also known as VATS.

I am disappointed.
By the way, shouldn't this thread be named "The terribly shitty combat of Fallout: New Vegas?"
If you not, it seems like this implying that the rest of the combat is any good.
I actually enjoyed punching things more, specially with the teleport punch, also known as VATS.

The title just implies the rest of the combat is not terribly shitty. This means it could be anything between "very shitty" and "great". Guess which is it :M

I always found cazadors far more deadly than deathclaws. Especially in close combat, I believe I also had some bug (unless it's intended) where using stimpacks while poisoned makes your hp decrease.
Guess the healing rate<poison rate.
Snake tourniquets are pretty handy though.

That, or injecting yourself with drugs while there is a massive amount of venom cruising through your bloodstream is not the brightest idea

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
Poison rate is awesome. Any run in pre-Honest Hearts stage I pay massively in term of resources to prevent cazador poison. And those suckers are very fast, that each fight they guarantee to get a poisoned hit in. Especially the massacred village site, but also the central mountain range.

Eh Roguey. I actually hate RTwP and Obsidian's decision to make thier first KS a filthy RTwP game. Also Josh's design priorities about removing cool fun stuff like multiclassing from a single player cRPG in the name of balance as if this is a fucking MOBA. Also his design decisions in fnv.

On second thought, I actually hate most things Josh except all the rape stuff in IWD2. Still really shitty RTwP game overall. So yeah I hate all the stuff you like....unless you like the Josh approved rape in IWD2. :M

I have no idea what the parrot means though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom