Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The other new JA game

Ausir

Arcane
FO:POS is a totally different kind of game in (supposedly) the same setting. JA:Whatever will be the same kind of game in a different setting.

Besides, it could be sci-fi in near future, with appearances of older versions of JA characters.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Even if it would make a good High Fantasy game, i dont want it because if I see or play another dwarve or elf i'm going to throw up.

Jebus

Novice
Ausir said:
FO:POS is a totally different kind of game in (supposedly) the same setting. JA:Whatever will be the same kind of game in a different setting.

Which makes it all the more sense not to call it 'Jagged Alliance', me thinks...

They could add a note 'based on the jagged alliance 3 engine', of course.

Ausir

Arcane
The point is, we don't even know if it's really not connected to JA at all. What if it's set, say, 30 years in the future, with some science-fiction weaponry, but with some older versions of familiar characters, some locations known from previous games, etc? That kind of game could easily be called JA:Whatever.

Jebus

Novice
Ausir said:
The point is, we don't even know if it's really not connected to JA at all. What if it's set, say, 30 years in the future, with some science-fiction weaponry, but with some older versions of familiar characters, some locations known from previous games, etc? That kind of game could easily be called JA:Whatever.

That would of course be acceptable. After all, that's kinda what JA2 did too...

I was talking more along the lines of 'JA: Praetorians' though.

Rosh

Erudite
I don't see a reason that it couldn't be under the same heading. Games like Fallout are rather defined in their setting. In spirit with how it was presented, Worlds of Ultima was a good example of taking something to a different setting but using the same tech (Ultima 6).

Games like Fallout also tended to have a tightly interwoven storyline. JA doesn't seem so, as much. There's what happened to the old mercs, here's some new, and this is actually a good thing for a game to possess same name, different setting, distinctive sub-name, but with the same good quality. Flavor is good, but only with meat. The choices of mercs and morecould easily reflect the setting, and I believe the humor used in the Sir-Tech games should continue, Wiz 8, JA2, etc.. You could also choose to play in Sci-Fi mode or not in JA2, which basically opens up two distinct storylines in the same game. That suggests that the exact details aren't important (as long as they are congruent in each time they are presented), but as long as the details are good and fun to play through.

As long as it turns out good and polished, there shouldn't be any reason to worry about what it is called. If it's good, then it should be worthy to have the name Jagged Alliance on it. It's a title/base concept/engine spin-off, rather than a setting spin-off, so it shouldn't have much adverse affect upon the core franchise, much like WoU. If it has the same good construction and overall style, then it wouldn't be seen that unfavorably unless someone didn't like the setting, although game mechanics, construction, and general composition of the game should be enough to overcome that as the person did expect a game worthy of the JA franchise.

Shevek

Arcane
Futuristic Jagged Alliance would be pretty sweet. If it is futuristic, Im curious if they will go Buck Rodgers: Countdown to Doomsday style (space) or Syndicate style.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom