Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DAoC Servers

LlamaGod

Cipher
I figured i'd make a post about the 2 new servers since not only are they awesome for DAoC, they are a nice step-up for MMORPGs.

The new servers are actually removing an entire expansion and removing 2nd account buffbots from being usable, so its stuff that could provide cash and stuff, to meet player wishes.

The new servers are gonna have:
No Trials of Atlantis and no artifacts or Master Levels from it available
No Buffbotting: All buffs now have a 5000 unit range on them and buffs can only be cast on yourself or people in your group
No /level: Everyone starts at level 1

On top of this stuff, they've been improving the fuck out of the game, doing things that players request that remove timesinks and annoying shit and improving the old world of the game (so expansions dont totally replace the world). One thing being a massive patch coming out that is the size of an expansion that reworks the entire guild system and has tons of useful things such as no more artifact decay, improved spell lines for almost every spell caster, reworked quests and epic armor and tons more stuff.

On top of THAT, the Catacombs expansion removed all grinding and timesinks in leveling, you can gain levels very easily just doing quests casually and they've been redoing and adding ALOT of quests that fit the Catacombs quest mold all over the game.

So the new servers combined with Catacombs and the patches remove almost all grinding and timesinks, focusing on gameplay instead of 'how long can you play'.

I think its about time an MMORPG did this.

Sarvis

Erudite
undead dolphin hacker said:

World of Warcraft did this first. Hell, even Guild Wars does this. Sounds like DAOC just wants to play catch up.

WoW did? A guy at work plays it all the time, and talks about it all the time. Sounds like nothing BUT grinding...

Sarvis said:

World of Warcraft did this first. Hell, even Guild Wars does this. Sounds like DAOC just wants to play catch up.

WoW did? A guy at work plays it all the time, and talks about it all the time. Sounds like nothing BUT grinding...
You can quest all the way to 60. Now, the quests might be poorly veiled grinds, but DAOC is no better in that department.

To be 'godly' requires a massive amount of grinding in both normal DAOC, World of Warcraft, and Guild Wars, as you get to run the same zones/instances over and over, no longer advancing your character's base abilities, but only hoping for phat lewt drops (or in GW's case, having a Pokemon moment as you attempt to 'catch em all,' where "em" is your elite skills).

Grinding means killing mobs for no other purpose than the experience reward tied to the death of the foozles. In every game listed above, WOW, GW, and now DAOC, you can reach the level cap with minimal, if any, grinding.

Sarvis

Erudite
and Guild Wars, as you get to run the same zones/instances over and over, no longer advancing your character's base abilities, but only hoping for phat lewt drops (or in GW's case, having a Pokemon moment as you attempt to 'catch em all,' where "em" is your elite skills).

I dunno if you've played lately (or at all) but they changed the way capturing works so that it's much easier, doesn't rely on any luck and prolly isn't very grindy. Now you just use the signet near the corpse of any boss, and you get a list of all the skills it has and can choose waht you want.

Sarvis said:
and Guild Wars, as you get to run the same zones/instances over and over, no longer advancing your character's base abilities, but only hoping for phat lewt drops (or in GW's case, having a Pokemon moment as you attempt to 'catch em all,' where "em" is your elite skills).

I dunno if you've played lately (or at all) but they changed the way capturing works so that it's much easier, doesn't rely on any luck and prolly isn't very grindy. Now you just use the signet near the corpse of any boss, and you get a list of all the skills it has and can choose waht you want.
I've played, but I'm not to the point about worrying over Elite Skills yet.

Plus there's grinding in GW: The Underworld is the place to be if you want gear/money, and that's practically pure grind (if what I hear is true).

Still, my point was, you don't *have* to grind in WOW, GW, and now DAOC. You just have to if you want the best-of-the-best stuff.

Surlent

Liturgist
Well the best of best stuff in gw you need to get a lot money for or just grind drops is purely esthetical. Just to make your character look different. And you can only have one elite skill at time, so they don't make you overpowered and are not necessary (unless you're build is based on them like barrage).

Drakron

Arcane
There is grind in GW with the nerf going around, its anoying because a lot of people farm (not grind) hoping they get a decent drop ... most gold and purple drops end up being junk.

Oh and Underworld and Fissure drops were nerfed as well, ectoplama and obsidian prices in the trader are completly insane, anyone that wants a set of fissure armor is looking at either farm the living hell out of the above areas or farm the living hell to pay for the materials (or both).

Astromarine

Erudite
Drakron, that would be a valid point if Fissure armor wasn't just for gay people who like to play dress-up ;)

Seriously: it's aesthetics people. Whoever cares enough to farm for it, can take what is necessary without complaining, please.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Grinding in GW is negligable. The only reason to grind is for Fissure and Underworld armor, and there's really no point to getting them other than, as Astromarine said, its just for gay people who like to play dress-up. Grinding for skills is a stupid argument as well, because with the 4 character slots you can create 3 characters and cover all your bases in terms of skills. Buying the leftover skills will only require a few more skill points. You can reserve your 4th character for PVP and delete him and remake him as you see fit.

Drakron

Arcane
So going over the game 3 times is not grind ... right.

:roll:

Were you dropped in your head when you were a baby or something?

There is grind in GW, there is a LOT of farming (not grind) in the late areas because drops there are not much better that in the other areas of the game and even if fissure set and 15k sets are not needed (same stats that in the forge) what is left to do anyway?

Sarvis

Erudite
Drakron said:
So going over the game 3 times is not grind ... right.

Considering you can just run to all the towns without doing the missions, do just skill quests and buy the rest... no not really. Unless you want it to be.

There is grind in GW, there is a LOT of farming (not grind) in the late areas because drops there are not much better that in the other areas of the game and even if fissure set and 15k sets are not needed (same stats that in the forge) what is left to do anyway?

Guild Battles? PvP?

Drakron

Arcane
No need to go that far, just switch 2nd class and go elite hunting and buy skills ... true at some point skills and SoC will cost a lot of plat but there is only the need for the ones in Jungle, South Shiverpeaks and Ring of Fire ... doing Ascalon, North Shiverpeaks and Kyrta does not take as long as the rest (since those missions require people with a brain).

But thats for unlocking, with the new fraction PvP system ... just PvP and GvG "farm" a bit.

As for PvP and GvG ... you right, thats is (for now) the end game but if people are not into it (and a lot are not) the end game is farming or restart again and do things all over again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom