Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The future of D&D on PC

protobob

Liturgist
What about Dragonshard? 2005 D&D RTS from Atari, set in Eberron.

Xi

Arcane
4E with a new location, lore, and characters. Stop making NWN bullshit. Maybe even move back into the past and use one of the older settings with the newer ruleset. Something like that would be fun. High-Fantasy is awesome when you don't fuck with the formula that makes it good!

Ditch 3.5E fast! Worst rule set ever!

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
- The Underdark: There have been only tiny, tiny portions of the Underdark done in any of those games so far, even in Descent to Undermountain (which was truly horrid). HotU was typically small for any NWN product. BG2 had the excellent but miniscule mindflayer enclave. All these years, just a few tunnels, a few caves. That's it.

The Underdark encompasses areas that equal the entire landmass of Faerun and even more (since it exists in three dimensions). To do it "right", I'd say a game the size of at least Oblivion would have to be dedicated to it and even then there would so much left.

I mean, entire civilizations have existed there. Underground oceans and massive cities. There's a lot of untapped potential.

- Orcs: If we're talking FR, there's always going to be orcs unfortunately. They're so numerous and prevalent in that milieu that it's almost obligatory to mention their existence.

They're also quite numerous in Greyhawk, but I don't think as much so. I believe goblins and their other kin play a larger part in that campaign.

- Forgotten Realms: I agree however that other than the Underdark, it's pretty much played out, even with all the other untouched areas. People are just sick of Elminster and Drizzt and anything having to do with them. The Thayans have been done, the south and Amn, Zhentil Keep... even Chult (sadly, very poorly IMO). We need something new or at least not as stale.

Greyhawk is just as fascinating, I think. The whole struggle with Iuz and his army, all the famous sorcerers such as Bigby and Tenser plus the Circle of Eight - these can all be great backdrops for any CRPG. I don't know if Greyhawk is being adapted for 4E, but it would seem to me that if we're ever going to go back to turn-based, one of the original campaigns would be more than appropriate to pick up again.

I wonder with Gygax's death if anything in Greyhawk will happen again.

Andhaira

Arcane
Just do I6: Castle Ravenloft in crpg form. Thats what they should have done instead of ToEE btw. Really, WTF was Troika thinking??

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Eh, with Forgotten Realms being changed for 4e, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see more games taking place in that setting. And I'd be fine with it too, provided the games themselves are decent.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I think D&D is good enough as a basis for CRPGs.
You can't just build a system from scratch with the time and resources your typical game development cycle allows and expect it to be *better* than a system that has been developed for decades. Arcanum for instance would have greatly profited from a decent combat/magic system (imho).
Also FR have still a lot of untapped potential, you could make awesome games in Kara-Tur, Calimshan, Thay and other regions that are not so well explored as the sword coast.
Or on the Gnome Island - what's its name? Lantan. There could be a lot of technology there - Arcanum-style. Magic would be almost uncommon.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Baldur's Gate 1 didn't have any orcs or goblins at all. They were actually conspicuous by their absence...

Hard Knox

Educated
Spectacle said:
Baldur's Gate 1 didn't have any orcs or goblins at all. They were actually conspicuous by their absence...

I hardly noticed with all the Xvarts (blue goblins) and Hobgoblins (small orcs) running around.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Spectacle said:
IMHO D&D is much better for computer games than for PNP RPGs.

For 3E and up, I agree. I think that they're too complicated to run smoothly as PnP. That very complication, though, makes them well-suited to being CRPGs since you're so busy playing around with your feats, skills, and prestige classes that you don't notice all of the PnP-type things you can't do in a CRPG.

Original D&D and 1E AD&D are better as PnP than as CRPGs, though.

Redeye

Arcane
I would like to see a D&D game where the party starts in Dyvers.

Radiate out from there.

Perhaps underwater adventure in the Nyr Dyr, wreak havok in the bandit kingdoms, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom