Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The downgraded Dominions PBEM proposal

Monocause

Arcane
I'll make a different topic so that we don't spam the other game thread too much.

I can host. We still need at least one more to go. We can do a threesome but it could get boring unless we'd play on a really small map - or add a couple of AI players to spice things up.

Proposed rules:

- We play v3.14. Get the patch here: http://games.softpedia.com/progDownload ... 23870.html

- No LA Ermor and/or R'lyeh, unless the player who chooses them will promise he'll go for something more elaborate than spamming endless hordes of mobs. Also, I *hate* insanity in this game.
- RP pretenders. I've played one game like that and it was fun. What it means is that you pick a pretender and skill set to fit the national theme, fe. if you play Arcoscephale, you pick one of the titans, boost astral, don't pick drain etc. In other words - such a rule limits powergaming to offer more flavour and variety.
- A cutthroat free-for-all. It means that we don't restrict diplomacy. It means that you can enter alliances and coordinate attacks whenever you want with anyone you want without having to notify your enemies about it. Do note, however, that you also can't trust anyone. Agree to a two-pronged attack and your 'ally' will stab you in the back.
- "Fun" as more important than "win". Try to be innovative and pester your enemies with creative tactics. Do the unpredictable. Send a lone scout named "The Chosen One" in a valiant attempt to rape the enemy capital and laugh as he dies in the first turn.

Propose your own rules, discuss the current ones and say which era&nations you'd like to play. Also, Satori and Mondblut, do tell if you're interested in a game with some AI players if more people wouldn't show up.

Also please tell at what tempo would you like to play. Considering different timezones, jobs, universities etc. I propose that we don't really restrict anything with a small plea that you don't hold others waiting for too long.

Getting this on the front page, and I'm game for anything really, name a time and I should be able to be there. I don't quite get how this works though, it's play by email so is this turn based? How many days will it be for the match to be completed?

EDIT - My monitor has just died and it'll be around a week for a replacement, sorry for having to bail.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I could be interested but from previous thread I noticed that PBEM takes a lot of time and work to set up properly.
How do You intend to resolve that? I don't think I want to play one game for half a year.

Monocause

Arcane
@Malakal:
Half a year? Not on a small map, and we will pick the smallest map possible in accord with the number of players.

It's difficult to predict how long will the game take. Depends on lots of things, mainly on how quickly will we send our turns around and how agressive will we be.

That's how PBEM looks like, anyway. Even chess PBEM games sometimes take months and Dom3 is a strategy game with an incredible amount of depth.

Besides, we can offset the time by editing game rules. We can, fe. set victory conditions to controlling 50% of the game map. We probably will.

@Satori:

You don't know if Dom3's turn-based? So you haven't even touched the game? Perhaps start a SP game and try to grasp at least the very basics.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So I have been reading some AARs and stuff and it really makes me interested in trying one game of this in MP. Even just for wacky pretender anticks.

So BUMP.

mondblut

Arcane
Speaking of which, Shrapnel finally realized it's XXI century outdoors and put Dom3 up for digital distribution.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom