Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The big 4X thread (also unofficial patches + mods, also questions about these)

Borelli

Arcane
Ag
I remember a ground-based, 4X, fantasy game, from the post-3D era (so probably last 20 years), where units looked relatively 'old school fantasy' (i.e. like Ultima's artwork below) as opposed to modern MTG/WoW 'glowing veins n spikes' artwork.

Anyone know what I might be thinking of?

Was it Disciples?
Disciples looks quite interesting, but I remember the engine was polygonal/3D models rather than sprites.

From what I remember, the monsters were quite old school, so maybe Dragons, Minotaurs, Lizardmen, Beastmen....

EDIT: Maybe I'm just thinking of Fallen Enchantress.
Age of wonders?

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
Ag
I remember a ground-based, 4X, fantasy game, from the post-3D era (so probably last 20 years), where units looked relatively 'old school fantasy' (i.e. like Ultima's artwork below) as opposed to modern MTG/WoW 'glowing veins n spikes' artwork.

Was it Disciples?
Disciples looks quite interesting, but I remember the engine was polygonal/3D models rather than sprites.

From what I remember, the monsters were quite old school, so maybe Dragons, Minotaurs, Lizardmen, Beastmen....

Age of wonders?
That's a good call - I don't think it was that, as Age of Wonders wasn't out yet, but I might give that a go - looks good.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Ag

Was it Disciples?

Age of wonders?
That's a good call - I don't think it was that, as Age of Wonders wasn't out yet, but I might give that a go - looks good.
Lords of Magic?

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Yeah, sounds like Lords of Magic. I played the hell out of it as a kid. 4X overworld, real time battles.

Gibson

Learned
Which universe should I conquer next?

I haven't played a Space strategy for some time now (4-5- years at least) - so where do we stand atm? what's the go-to game to be a space emperor?

Stellaris? Galciv4? Endless Space 2? DW2?

last one I played was Stellaris, but after 4-5 years I should think the game is not recognizable to me anymore.

Turn-based or paradox-time-slider is a non issue for me.

No SMAC-clones like planetfall etc. I want to rule the galaxy, not a planet.

Stellaris is worth some playthroughs if you have most of the DLC. absolute best parts of the game are the first 40-50 years, end game feels the same often. If you manage to get on the Galactic Council you can do some really great stuff as you consolidate power.

Gostak

Educated
Which universe should I conquer next?

I haven't played a Space strategy for some time now (4-5- years at least) - so where do we stand atm? what's the go-to game to be a space emperor?

Stellaris? Galciv4? Endless Space 2? DW2?

last one I played was Stellaris, but after 4-5 years I should think the game is not recognizable to me anymore.

Turn-based or paradox-time-slider is a non issue for me.

No SMAC-clones like planetfall etc. I want to rule the galaxy, not a planet.
Try Star Dynasties for a change.
It's a Galaxy in ruins and just some small installations on otherwise hostile planets.
But planets, hence system(s) -> galaxy. :D

If you have the time to spare: Emperor of the Fading Suns.
It's got it in its name!

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/indie-strategy-games-post-em-if-you-find-em.10401/post-8662841
is also recommended.

Of course if you want a truely hard time you might wanna go for Remnants of the Precursor likely the Fusion version with more AI choices.
But I am not too big a fan (yet anyway?).
Mostly because I never got to play till Stargate tech I guess and maybe went with too small "maps"/ setups.
And yes, it's super hard, and while the AI mostly does not cheat, it does in parts ...

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom