Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The best new Sierra like will be...?

The best Sierra like will be...

• Leisure Suit Larry, already released, the other won't held up to it.

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Space Venture, the Two Guys still have the magic.

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Hero U, despite the problems the Coles will deliver.

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Jane Jensen, the best writing.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Quest for Infamy, the true heir of Sierra oldies.

Votes: 25 62.5%
  • Mage's Initiation

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Heroine's Quest

Votes: 3 7.5%

• Total voters

Kz3r0

Arcane
After the failure of Precinct practically all the old Sierra guys got their shot at Kickstarter, so, which game has the best chance of bring back the old days or at least provide a good game according to you.

kaizoku

Arcane
Did you meant to ask which will be the best adventure, instead of the best sierra?

If best sierra then it will be Quest for Infamy and Mage's Initiation. There is also another one in the making but I don't remember its name.

If best adventure then add Moebius to the list. .. althouh I really don't like the gfx.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Did you meant to ask which will be the best adventure, instead of the best sierra?

If best sierra then it will be Quest for Infamy and Mage's Initiation. There is also another one in the making but I don't remember its name.

If best adventure then add Moebius to the list. .. althouh I really don't like the gfx.
Moebius is under Jane Jensen, yes I intended best Sierra like, unfortunately I forgot Mage's Initiation, my bad

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There are quite a few adventure kickstarters which aren't Sierra likes: Broken Age, Broken Sword, Jack Houston, Shadowgate, Dreamfall. I know there are more, but that's what I can remember right now.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Infamy and Mage's Initiation by a LONG shot.

The reason is that these are the only two that are genuiney aspiring to make a new adventure game. (Larry is aspiring to make the same adventure games.)

The others have muddled ambitions. They're basically trying to jumpstart their game careers and hence are shooting high, but in the wrong direction. Of these, I expect only Jane Jensen do deliver something somewhat good, although she's a bad "game designer".

Stabwound

Arcane
Quest for Infamy, because of the same reasons others have mentioned. In my opinion, this is not only the best-looking of the games, but the most sincere project. These guys have released great free remakes of other Sierra games, and the idea of a modern take on the Quest For Glory series is pretty appealing to say the least.

Mage's Initiation looks cool, too. It seems like another QfG-like but with much more emphasis on the RPG aspects. Heroine's Quest looks like a more generic take on the format, but adventure/RPGs don't even exist outside of the QfG series, so having a bunch of new ones coming out is very welcome.

I have zero faith in Hero U, and Mobius seems to not be going in the direction I hoped; neither seem to be like the classic Sierra games at all. Spaceventure will be... probably okay, but not quite my thing. Larry is just whatever. Not a fan of these old fucks jumping out of the woodwork to beg for money, really.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Heroine's Quest will probably be the one more closer. If it like the earlier games they have made, they are fucking brutal. Though that whole combat shit in it..... is just not getting me at all excited about it sadly.

Have not voted yet.... still thinking this through.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
My psychic powers are on the wane today, so I am not sure. I would guess Jensen can bring it again, to some extent. Grey Matter was... okay.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I am really looking forward to all of these, but I put my vote in for QFI given that it looks to be the one that is going to come the closest to bringing back the 'old days' and also looks to be a damn fine game.

That said, I do expect great things of all of them, though very different things from each.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hey, seriously, all the support here is awesome, and just strengthens my resolve to make it a damn fine game. People say this all the time, but it IS an honor just to be considered on this list. Know that everyone on Team Infamy, myself included, is 100% dedicated to making a classic game that, hopefully, we all can enjoy.

Bt

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, another vote for Quest for Infamy. A few of those games look cool in different ways, but the QFI demo definitely gave me a Quest for Glory vibe and is possibly the Kickstarter game I'm most looking forward to since I loved the hell out of the QfG series.

Obligatory :bounce:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Mage's Initiation. Very experienced team on sierra remakes/gameplay. Both Quest for Infamy and Heroine's (eh minus a e) quest give me too much of a copycat vibe; although that is probably a good thing. But really probably all will be worthwhile.

Except the Larry. Remake of a remake thaman. Don't go full retard.

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Not a fan of these old fucks jumping out of the woodwork to beg for money, really.

So.. why not exactly? You don't like the games they want to do or it's just dunno.. a matter of principle?

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mage's Initiation. Very experienced team on sierra remakes/gameplay. Both Quest for Infamy and Heroine's (eh minus a e) quest give me too much of a copycat vibe; although that is probably a good thing. But really probably all will be worthwhile.

Yeah, there's no denying that our game is absolutely influenced by our love of the QFG games, but I think you'll find the story and mechanics to be their own thing, for sure! Have you played our demo yet? You can get it for free at www.QuestForInfamy.com - down at the bottom of the page.

I can say that Mage's with be a great game too - fun fact, two of our artists have also done animations on Mage's, too, so you know there's good people working on both games!

Except the Larry. Remake of a remake thaman. Don't go full retard.

Everyday is a good day for a Tropic Thunder reference!

Bt

GaffQ

Learned
Quest for Gloryhole

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom