Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Text-based Adventures/Interactive Fiction (IF) Thread

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
I started by playing Zombie Exodus at work and I realized they are pretty darn entertaining and now I crave for more.Started searching for more,but it seems the good ones are pretty sparse or I'm just bad at searching for them.

So anyone knows where to find some good ones? Doesn't matter the theme,just to have good writing and interesting C&C.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
That's a CYOA, not interactive fiction and you'll find more of that shite here. Alternatively you can find SJW twine crap clogging up the more pretentious all indie communities, like there's one where you play as a tranny and Shodan makes you piss and shit yourself or that one that depicts what a whore thinks clinical depression is like. Very high brow stuff for sure.

Personally I'd recommend playing actual interactive fiction instead, start out with the Infocom games to see if they're something for you.

Visbhume

Prophet
CYOA is interactive fiction, with a particular type of interface. In fact many notable games in the IF genre, like 80 days, are becoming more CYOAish.

That said, I dislike the term "interactive fiction". "text adventures" sounds so much fun.

Has anyone played Blood and Laurels? Sounds like it has an interesting engine.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Another interesting game that I played was Sorcery,it was very neat if I may say so,especially the amount of choices you had to resolve a problem.

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
There are lots of excellent games. Here is my tentative recommendation for how to get into the genre:

- Start with Photopia by Adam Cadre. It's very easy, largely on rails, but a classic of the silver age of IF. It will ease you into parser commands which will help for later titles. You talk to NPCs using the "talk to" command, not the usual tell/ask.

- Metamorphoses / Anchorhead. These are both more open and more puzzle-oriented than Photopia, but beautifully written and not too hard. I would do M first then A, as M is shorter and doesn't have the walking dead risk that Anchorhead has. (Be judicious in crossing the bridge in Anchorhead.)

- Spider & Web. A great game, but you need to have some familiarity with the genre first to be able to appreciate it at all. At the turning point it goes downhill, but the turning point is a greatest-of-all-time moment.

I'm assuming you like serious stories, but if not, you might want to swap "Lost Pig" in for M/A. The Gaming Enthusiast list is pretty good, but I think it's not really arranged in a way to ease entry, plus (like many lists) it is trying to do a lot of things (sample broadly, include classics, etc.). I haven't really played much in the past decade, and I know lots of newfangled stuff has happened since, but in terms of parser games, I'd start with that sequence and then go jump around as you see fit.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Spider & Web

Goddamnit, I love Andrew Plotkin's writing. If I had the money I'd hire him to walk by me and narrate everything I do. Or have him do the writing in an RPG. Whichever.

Starwars

Arcane
Sorcery! parts 1 and 2 are out on STEAM now, with 3 coming fairly soon as well and 4 sometime later in the year.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Gonna hijack this thread and turn it into the General IF Thread. Here's a fun read if you're interested in the genre and its history: https://sub-q.com/the-works-of-rybread-celsius-a-critical-reassessment/

Snippet:

When I first became involved in the interactive fiction community online, back in 2001, my head was blown open by the possibilities afforded by parser-based games. I dutifully tracked down a copy of Lost Treasures of Infocom to find my footing with the “canon” that most others were building from. But there was someone else who seemed to be working on the fringes of the community–who some people considered an Ed Wood-type figure making monumentally bad game after game. Many considered him the worst writer of interactive fiction on the contemporary scene. Still others, fewer in number, considered him one of the experimental geniuses of interactive fiction. His name is Ryan Stevens, but he wrote under the name Rybread Celsius.

I have to say that I found myself in the latter camp right away. Today his work is largely forgotten (which, to be fair, has happened even to many works that were immensely popular in the late 90s and early 00’s). A lot of times he appeared to be banging his head against the constraints of Inform 6, trying to bend and twist the form of the parser game into something that fit his idiosyncratic vision.

Often broken in a very real sense, rife with typos (deliberate or not?), bad default messages, and constant point of view shifts—and largely unplayable without a walkthrough—his games entered in the Interactive Fiction Competition always scraped near the bottom places.

They are eminently difficult to describe.

There’s Symetry (1997, 32nd out of 34 places), the story of a sinister mirror and a letter opener. “Tonight will be the premiere of you slumbering under its constant eye.” There’s Lurk. Unite. Die. Invent. Think. Expire. (1999, 35th out of 37 places), with rooms such as the “chaos hymn point” and a koan-like winning command that…okay, would probably be difficult to come up with on one’s own. There’s “Rippled Flesh” (1996, 24th out of 26 places), an earlier effort that plays it fairly straight but nevertheless yields several surprises.

But his crowning achievement—at least for me—is Acid Whiplash (1998, 23rd out of 27 places), its title the closest thing to an ars poetica in his body of work.

The article includes some recent examples of experimental stuff, too.

EDIT: Heh:

In 2001 I was 28 years old, still only a few years removed from poetry grad school in a homogenous college town and, well, still fairly precocious. My first forays into interactive fiction were in the parser form (ALAN, actually). Now in 2016, I’m a parent to four-year-old twins, I’ve recently come out as transgender and what excites me about interactive fiction has certainly evolved.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Back when I was on the Home of the Underdogs forums, Underdogs herself would frequently add many entries from the annual Interactive Fiction contest, whose precise name I cannot remember.

I remember at one point reading through the latest 'batch' of IF entries, and one of them struck me as a neat idea. I don't remember the exact title, but it was a time of day, something like "9:14" or something similar. But it's not the "9:05" title that's mentioned in that link SCO mentioned. No, this one is different. You start in a bar, and you only have a chance to type ONE command before things happen that end up killing you. The gimmick of the game is to figure out what command you should type in, in order to survive and 'win' the game.

Reading up on some of those 'lists' that site puts up, though, made me remember what was the last IF I ever played - Infocom's The Lurking Horror. One of the few cases where I was grateful there was only text around, and not graphic images.

Redlands

Arcane
Back when I was on the Home of the Underdogs forums, Underdogs herself would frequently add many entries from the annual Interactive Fiction contest, whose precise name I cannot remember.

I remember at one point reading through the latest 'batch' of IF entries, and one of them struck me as a neat idea. I don't remember the exact title, but it was a time of day, something like "9:14" or something similar. But it's not the "9:05" title that's mentioned in that link SCO mentioned. No, this one is different. You start in a bar, and you only have a chance to type ONE command before things happen that end up killing you. The gimmick of the game is to figure out what command you should type in, in order to survive and 'win' the game.

Reading up on some of those 'lists' that site puts up, though, made me remember what was the last IF I ever played - Infocom's The Lurking Horror. One of the few cases where I was grateful there was only text around, and not graphic images.

You might be thinking of Aisle, which sounds quite close to what you're talking about.

Looking at the link MRY gave, I think what Unkillable Cat wants is Rematch, actually.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom