Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Take Command Series

DiverNB

Liturgist
Anyone else play these? I'm currently playing Take Command 2, and I have to say it is the greatest civil war strategy game since Sid Meier's games. Only 20 bucks for Direct Download which I think is a bargain.

Taken from Wiki:
The Take Command Series were the first games to employ a real army chain of command. Were you could play anywhere from brigade commander up to army commander. If you play as a division commander the rest of the army would be controlled by the AI. Unlike other RTS games you don't control every unit in the game, but you give orders to the officers under you, and they execute the order to the best of their ability. Some commanders are better than others and will execute your orders better than others.

During battles you can command anyone who you have control over. You can be the big guy at the top and delegate orders to AI, or you can take direct control over every unit (Granted they aren't controlled by ally AI)

The game goes into a great amount of detail in battles, and requires you to work with your friendly AI to win battles. Also, some battles will not be just one scenario. So the troops you lose in one battle, can put you at a big disadvantage in battles to come.

Battles take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours. Considering there are about 30 or so battles I'd say, that's pretty nice. Also, if you get bored with the battles they bring up, the have a scenario simulator / free play type of thing. You can go to any map and created your own battles with whatever units you want. So if you want to have the entire confederacy vs. the entire union in one battle, you can do it. (And boy, is it fun)

Definitely worth a look if you like strategy games.

DiverNB

Liturgist
My mistake!

http://www.madminutegames.com/

3D world with 2D sprites. I think the game looks pretty good for what it's trying to accomplish though.

Also, the game has a pretty bustling modding community. If memory serves me correctly they have napoleanic mod, and a total conversion on the revolutionary war.

Annonchinil

Scholar
I will look it up and buy it when I come out of my voluntary unemployment and get a job. Also does it matter which one you buy?

DiverNB

Liturgist
Annonchinil said:
I will look it up and buy it when I come out of my voluntary unemployment and get a job. Also does it matter which one you buy?

What do you mean which one? Like, the CD or digital download? I did digital download of Take Command, 2nd Manassas

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom