Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon - first-person open world RPG adaptation of Kickstarted board game - now on Early Access

Readher

Savant
IS so sad that Avowed has 154 pages to discuss the game and this great game, which aims to re create the old bugthesda style of game, with gorgeous graphics, in a very interesting setting and made by a relative small Polish studio, only 5 pages... YOU GUYS DESERVE THE DECLINE!!!
It's 154 pages of shitting on Avowed.

Speaking of which, this game has the same red flags as Avowed in that it's clearly aping the lackluster combat of Skyrim. I'd rather see games like this take inspiration from Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah.
It has elements of Skyrim's combat, but is far from it. The combat is very tense and hard until you get game-breaking items and skills and requires timing, stamina management, dodging, spacing, etc. - all things that Skyrim never expected from you.

Jinn

Arcane
Game seems much closer to something along the lines of a first-person Gothic to me in terms of exploration, challenge, meaningful progression. Skyrim comparisons are superficial at best.

I haven't seen any evidence of level scaling from what I've seen. Am I correct in that assessment?

covr

Prophet
Patron
No level scaling. But it has rather aggressive monster respawn system I don't like.

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
Speaking of which, this game has the same red flags as Avowed in that it's clearly aping the lackluster combat of Skyrim. I'd rather see games like this take inspiration from Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah.
It ain't no Dark Messiah/Arx Fatalis but it feels a hell of a lot better than Skyrim. It might look like Skyrim but the impact response that you get swinging a two hander in this game is something Bethesda has never gotten close to in any of their games. Magic could definitely improve though.

When the landmass update comes out in a couple weeks, give it a shot. No reason not to with the 2 hour refund window.

Jinn

Arcane
I'm always leery of burning myself out on EA titles before they're done.
Yeah, I refuse to play more than an hour or two in early access, if that, unless it's a multiplayer-focused game. I've come to really despise EA and refuse to pay to be a beta tester, particularly when a first blind playthrough of a game is such a special experience for me. I don't blame developers for going this route, but refuse to participate in most cases.

Q4 2024 is the rough plan for release on this one, though I hope they take as much time as they need, even if that means pushing it into 2025 despite my eagerness to play it. There is so much excellent potential here, and I'd like to see it fully developed.

Maldoror

Scholar
I played the EA for this game a few months ago and it already demonstrated more C&C than Skyrim ever did, by allowing you to befriend a Necromancer who you're set upon to kill. He offers you a spell to go about your merry way and let him practice his epic and profane art. Then, the quest-giver becomes pissed at you for a day or two.
Ideally this would have long-lasting effects in the gameworld but I highly doubt the C&C will ever reach that point. Nonetheless, it has promise.

Litmanen

Educated

Maldoror

Scholar
I played the EA for this game a few months ago and it already demonstrated more C&C than Skyrim ever did, by allowing you to befriend a Necromancer who you're set upon to kill.
Uh. Skyrim has at least a dozen quests with choices like this.
Generally speaking they're all more involved than "go here and kill this guy", such as the Redguard princess quest or the thing with the prisoners in Markarth, both of which have quite a few more steps involved than the Tainted Grail Necromancer one and are kind of "main side quests". I really can't think of any other throwaway Skyrim quests that allow you to team up with/let go the random enemy you're sent to kill, but perhaps you could list a dozen of them for me.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here are some.
  • Main quest: side with the Blades (kill Paarthurnax), or the Greybeards (spare him).
  • Civil War: join the Stormcloaks or the Imperials (but you already knew that).
  • Dawnguard: join the Dawnguard or the Volkihar Vampires.
  • Dark Brotherhood: join the Brotherhood or destroy it.
  • Daedric quests:
    • The Black Star (Azura): restore Azura's Star or defile it.
    • A Daedra's Best Friend (Clavicus Vile): kill Barbas or spare him.
    • Ill Met by Moonlight (Hircine): side with Sinding or with the hunters.
    • Pieces of the Past (Mehrunes Dagon): obey Mehrunes, or spare Silus Vesuius.
    • The Taste of Death (Namira): take part in Namira's feast, or kill Eola (and possibly the rest of the cult of Namira).
    • Waking Nightmare (Vaermina): obey Vaermina, or let Erandur destroy the Skull of Corruption.
    • Darkness Returns (Nocturnal): technically not a real choice, but you can chose to postpone returning the Skeleton Key indefinitely, and keep using it instead.
  • The Blessings of Nature: pray to Kynareth to obtain a sapling, or cut the Eldergleam to extract its sap.
  • No One Escapes Cidhna Mine: escape with Madanach, or kill him and escape alone.
  • In My Time of Need: kill Kematu, or deliver Saadia to him.
  • Blood on the Ice: turn Wuunferth in, or investigate further.
  • Delayed Burial: help Vantus Loreius or Cicero.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1466060/view/4177728231398957870

April development update.
A big patch is on its way.
5d856167d31b5cca800fd2c3226bcfb59bf5e5ef.jpg

Greetings, Travelers!
Another month, another fresh development update especially for you! Be sure, adventurers - we have some big news you don’t want to miss.

So! This is our FINAL update before the next BIG patch.
And by big patch - we mean BIIIIIIIIG PATCH!
Once again, we will be bringing updates to almost everything in the game, most importantly:
  • Performance
  • Visual overhaul
  • Combat overhaul
  • Crafting and other system overhaul
  • Stats / perk system overhaul
  • Spells and magic overhaul
  • ….and many more general improvements to the game

On top of that - we will finally have Wyrdness! (in the form of Wyrdnight, adding a whole new level to the game).

And on top of that, we will be adding a whole new, shiny zone for you to explore - Cuanacth!

Saying that we are excited to finally share it all with you is understatement and we are putting tons of effort into the last months of getting this patch ready.

See the video below to know what our dev team has been crafting!

youtube_16x9_placeholder.gif

New zone - Cuanacth
As a region, Cuanacth will be available to you in beta version, so don't expect the region to be fully polished in every detail just yet. Instead, think of it as a preview of what this region will be like. Right now, we want to gather your feedback to refine it further based on your valuable input. Additionally, there won't be a main storyline in this region yet, but that doesn't mean you'll be bored there. We plan to provide you with over 10 quests of varying complexity and length, so there's plenty of fun ahead for you!

611b72397b1d4b2adfd176d82025c5902705fd16.jpg

Saves will be wiped, but we’ll provide pre-sets
As we have been saying from the start, we are taking “Early Access” quite seriously, that is why we are constantly working on improving the game and listening to your feedback. Other side of that coin is that we will be doing some serious changes to the game systems that can wipe previous saves. But fear not! If you only want to experience the freshly added content, without the need to start from scratch, we’ll provide you with pre-set save slots. This will allow you to start the adventure right off in the new land, with proper gear and character development level. There will be different build types to choose from, so you'll be able to pick up what suits you best!

d826643879fb3baa49fa1be374988190e3b6d6f7.jpg

Localization info
With patch 0.7 on the horizon, we're about to introduce a wealth of new features and improvements. However, that comes with a price: initially, for a short period, the new content in patch 0.7 will be available exclusively in English. That’s because we've made the decision to prioritize the quality and depth of the content over localization efforts. By focusing our resources on perfecting the gameplay-related features first, we’re closer to delivering what’s our goal - a great open-world action RPG! Rest assured, other language versions will be implemented as fast as possible, ensuring that our diverse community can fully immerse themselves in the world of Avalon.
The info applies exclusively to the new Cuanacth region! Both Horns of South and Tutorial will still be available in all currently supported languages.

a4226aaead6608ce56ba3ef2e8d8f216fea45d6b.jpg

32e114d0cd59fa2fc664f764fb4eba9ec0a50189.jpg

960: Those who had risen from the battle of Badon - Event for Influencers
If you're an influencer, you might be interested in our planned event. It's aimed at influencers of all sizes, streamers, etc., who want to join the ranks of 960 and simultaneously stream or publish their content at the patch's release. You can find all the details here: LINK, and as for the conditions:

What do you get by joining the event:
  • Keys for 3 of our games, including Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon (Sent to your email after filling the registration form)
  • Additional game keys for community giveaways
  • Early and exclusive access to the mentioned update for Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon
  • Exclusive behind-the-scenes and promo materials (i.e. concept arts, videos)
  • Your name will be written in the special section of the FoA game itself

We expect either of these in return:
  • a video material from the update to be published on YouTube on the 27th of May at 18.00 (CET)
  • or at least half-an-hour stream on Twitch/YouTube on the same date.
Interested? You can sign up here: SIGN UP HERE!
More details: 960.awakenrealms.com

And what is most important…
Thank you for your continued support and enthusiasm for Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon, including the priceless feedback you keep providing! As you journey through the twisted lands of Avalon, encountering its myriad secrets and facing the daunting challenges it presents, we're thrilled to have you along for the adventure. Stay tuned for more updates as we draw closer to the release of Patch 0.7, and may your journey through the dark and enchanting realms of Avalon be filled with adventure and discovery. ⚔️

Stay safe out there! And see you in a bit with a MASSIVE patch (and MASSIVE patch notes :D)

Awaken Realms

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I can't wait to explore a new region. This game is so great, TBH I'm a bit skeptical about their launch in Q4 2024.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom