Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

System Shock II on Windows XP?

Skeff

Novice
Hey there--
I installed System Shock II on a Windows XP system, but it doesn't run correctly. I can access the opening interface and intro movie, but after that the game crashes, with a message popping up that says the graphics are not correctly enabled or somesuch. Any ideas? :(

dipdipdip

Liturgist
I think this should help:

Running System Shock 2 on Windows 2000 or Windows XP
How to Install
#Press the Start Button
#Press theRun button.
#In the box type x:/setup.exe -Lgntforce Where x is the letter of your CD-Rom drive.
#Press Enter
#Follow the onscreen prompts.

If not, there's more stuff like that here:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.p ... adid=60930

Ortchel

Liturgist
Er .. sorry about the botched link, that site sure is fickle.

Grefter

Novice
I had trouble getting it to run for a little while, but I found when I rolled back to a previous set of graphics drivers that it worked (I think it was just the set that came with the my card that were there). However you may not be having a graphics problem like I did. Still it could be worth a try.

Flink

Liturgist
I tried to install this from my old cd the other day. But the game wont run, choosing instead to complain about me not having DirectX. (I got the latest version which seems to be incompatible with many older games.)

Any tips?

Ortchel

Liturgist
Ugh, yeah. DirectX 9 is a real pain with 'older' games, especially coupled with WinXP. I've given up fighting and just installed WinME on my machine. I'd recommend that, if you can stand it. And of course, make sure you have the latest drivers for your card and what have you.

It truly is a battle getting 'old' games to run on these new fangled snaggletooths.

karabass

Novice
SS2 under XP

i tried hard to run SS2 under XP, it stopped with DX error. Finally i found on some forume how to fix it. I installed SS2, applied official patch and added a line to SHOCK.CFG. The line is here:
safe_texture_manager

thats all, now works pretty good.

Eclecticist

Liturgist
I installed SS2 on a DX9 XP system a week ago and everything worked perfectly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom