Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SYSTEM SHOCK 2 question

ASTRAL

Arcane
So few month's ago I started playing System shock 2 for the first time .
I was pretty impressed that all the skills had its use ,like you could find some good but broken item and if you invested in repair you get a awesome rifle pretty early also alternatively you could hack vending machines for ammo .Everything seemed very balanced ,even too much if you ask me like weapons deteriorating VERY fast to give the maintenance skill its use (would merging repair and maintenance make it too strong off a option? )Level design was also pretty good with hidden stuff rewording you for looking carefully around the levels.

But maybe because I am getting old,those days the fun I get for smacking respawning zombies with a wrench is BY FAR inferior to drawing/3d modeling/looking for random shit at wikipedia while listening to new music I haven't heard till now(this combination of activities as simple it is makes me pretty happy).

So I played few levels till I started encountering the midwifes but nothing really interesting happened the setting and the story departments of the game don't shine too much and there is no larping at all.Normally all those things for me are the most important for enjoying a game.I haven`t bothered with the game since then so does SS2 offer something really different later on?

Bonus Question:
Is Deux Ex more similar to VTM:B or to SS2

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
At least to get to Ops deck: there's a pretty big surprise waiting for you there.

And Deus Ex is closer to Bloodlines, although it has a lot in common with SS2 as well.

Jezal_k23

I found it fun all the way through, myself, but I understand it might be too hard for most or take too long to pick up.

I say stick with it. It's worth it.

Zomg

Arbiter
The skill balance is actually fucking terrible in SS2, you just autopick the correct amount of maintenance and guns and once you have the shotgun and assault rifle you have all you'll ever need. Playing any other way is an intentional self-gimp. There are some vaguely more interesting enemies than the zombies eventually but it's always survival horror with brief moments of action FPS and the level design gets more and more linear.

For the Deus Ex vs SS2/VtMB question: My first reaction was to say it's more like SS2 but it's still pretty different and it has better versions of a few VtMB things like some stealth stuff. Compared to VtMB the dialog is much more perfunctory and the voice acting is only good in a very amateur way. I think I couldn't predict whether you'll like it or not just based on you being cool on SS2 but liking VtM:B.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
setting and the story departments of the game don't shine too much and there is no larping at all

I give you 1 potato out of 5 for at least trying... somewhat.

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
Dude, if you don't like it now, fuggedaboutit!

And dude, you are a dumbfuck. SHODAN was the best villain of all time! She was an opponent that was everywhere at once, that you could never kill. And the story of how she came to be was *almost* plausible.

I would say Ops deck as well! You might enjoy SS1 better, you take a tour through virtual reality there![/quote]

Rude Dude

Educated
But will the story progress? And more essential...can he larp there?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
SHODAN is a pretty generic villain, and the mid-game "twist" was painfully obvious from the start, but they way she was presented is pretty cool and the atmosphere of the game is just perfect. Basically if you don't like the atmosphere, if you don't like navigating those zombie-infested half-lit halls of the ship, you should probably drop it. It's the survival/exploration aspect that made this game awesome to me.

spekkio

Arcane
Posting in Drog-kun's thread.

If you don't like SS2 or Desu Ex or VTMB you can safely skip them and go straight to the newest game of this type:

Failout 3.

ASTRAL

Arcane
spekkio said:
Posting in Drog-kun's thread.

If you don't like SS2 or Desu Ex or VTMB you can safely skip them and go straight to the newest game of this type:

Failout 3.

But I liked VTMB
Pretty different games for one VTMB has a lot of larping. :M

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
I dont get it...why should be mad?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom