Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SupCom2 Demo

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
It seems like a step back in gameplay compared to Supcom, they removed most of the things that made the TA series the TA series. Now you rely on farming up a "research" points (using research generators, lol) which give your units 10% or 20% or whatever improvements instead of moving up a tech level with your buildings. The incoming/outgoing resource model was abandoned (something that was originally unique) and instead you just have income and a stash, and you spend your stash for units, just like most RTS. The graphics seem exactly the same or even a bit worse than Supcom, which is strange. The units are REALLY UGLY and a blue and yellow paint job does not help (Feisar is the only thing allowed to be painted blue and yellow and not suck). There's also a lot fewer units. I suppose this doesn't matter that much, each level of tank did the same thing in Supcom, but I really liked the improvements and new guns and stuff.

The dialogue in the two missions in the demo is so freakin hilariously bad.

Colonel Kill: You must kill the filthy Illuminate colony, that will teach them to be filthy Illuminates
Commander Tolerance: But my wife and child are there
Colonel Kill: Oh? Okay we'll get them out away from the filthy Illimunates
Commander Tolerance: But my wife IS Illuminate
Colonel Kill: What?! You are relieved of command

That's barely paraphrasing. It's really that bad

Dele

Liturgist
Sad that this got dumbed down too, atleast we still got TA and taspring :>

Same dumbingdown happened to DoW 2 and CnC 4 :(

relootz

Scholar
It's been so long that i have played an RTS from the TA style (from TA 1), maybe i should give it a try.

The graphics are acceptable.

Now, as for the game... I'm saddened to see that the experimental units have been dumbed down soooo much... I mean, the Fatboy II is nothing but a couple of turrets on wheels while the Fatboy I was a mobile factory, an underwater assault platform, a shield generator, an acceptable AA platform... it felt, and were, more powerful.

Then there's that Kraken shit you face in the first mission. Sure, it seems like an exciting addition at first glance but then the shittyness is revealed... experimental units simply lack the versatility they had in Supreme Commander 1... and their general "awesomeness".

And being unable to set your factories to constantly produce units is like ripping away the very spirit of TA and then curb stomping it.

Fuck this shit.

I am so going to play it.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well it sounds boring.

Well at least Dawn of war2: Chaos rising is still coming.

TheCowburner

Educated
Well Supcom was a step back from TA, so I am not that surprised really.

entertainer said:
they're releasing it for consoles so dumbing down is expected, but yes it looks ugly

Well that pretty much explains it. Who the fuck plays RTS games on consoles anyway?

Phelot

Arcane
I gotta admit, compared to TA, SupCom is shit. It just didn't feel like TA. When it comes to RTS I typically play only single player and while I can still play TA and have fun, SupCom is just fucking boring. The AI barely does anything even when I set them all to aggresive. WTF?

Destroid

Arcane
Play against a human, RTS vs AI is always stupid.

EDIT: SC:FA is a lot of fun 1v1 on small maps, and I've watched some pretty wild replays that lead me to believe that it is a solid team play game also.

Phelot

Arcane
TA on hard with 3 opposing AI was a lot of fun. They would bum rush you with a dick load of stuff. It was just fun chaos.

I never liked TA MP since I'd almost always have to deal with bitches that would try to seld destruct my commander via transporters. :x

Clearly the game needed to be improved so that it could be played on such awesome next gen systems as the xbawkz and ps3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom