Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"stunts"-ish games?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Not a big fan of modern racers. I like them when they're well done though. Back in the day, I had a blast with games such as Lotus. I recently recalled Stunts - and man, that game was awesome:

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/73/Stunts.html

Not only did it have entertaining gameplay, it had a pretty awesome track editor.

I was wondering whether any other games as entertaining and straightforward as Stunts existed. I don't really know much about the racing-game market as such. Alternatively, is there any way to run Stunts on a modern computer? I'm guessing DosBox is the only way, but I never did take the time to learn it. Maybe I should.

A user named cat

The closest you'll get to Stunts is one of the Trackmania games. Careful about which you check out, couple of the older ones had Starforce protection.

As far as modern racers go, racing is one of the few genres which has actually evolved in a good way. Look into the GTR series, fantastic games.

GTR 2 gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkL_eUUps2M

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Phantasmal said:
The closest you'll get to Stunts is one of the Trackmania games. Careful about which you check out, couple of the older ones had Starforce protection.

As far as modern racers go, racing is one of the few genres which has actually evolved in a good way. Look into the GTR series, fantastic games.

GTR 2 gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkL_eUUps2M

Oh yeah, Trackmania. Great fun for a while, but all the random just killed it for me. Most of the tracks are trial and error, and hasn't got a lot to with skill it seems.

GTR looks pretty cool. I'm in the mood for some crazy stunts though ;)

EDIT: TrackManias track editor is pretty cool as well, by the way. It works nearly as well as Stunts' (with Stunts' being a bit better because it easier to get an overview).

EDIT2: This looks pretty cool too!

EDIT3: Okay, there are apparently a remake in the works too. Go figure: http://www.ultimatestunts.nl/

ChristofferC

Magister
Nothing beats Stunts. It's so much fun to build your own tracks. Even the bugs are great in that game since they usually make you crash and turn into a burning inferno and/or fly very high up into the air.

Luzur

Good Sir
i remember that one bug where you fly 300 miles straight up into the air with the car standing on its nose.

Destroid

Arcane
Flatout and Flatout 2 are not really at all like stunts, but they are very fun arcade racers with plenty of crashing into each other. Best with friends.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
ha yes the lovely bugs,

i remember if you push the opponent's car slowly sloowly into a obctacle, it sometimes flies ultra-fast in opposite direction, crashing & burning in the process.

and then there was the replay-function, not to mention the awesome intro music.

i tried many remakes and similar games, but they don't do it for me. guess i;m doomed to some NFS action racing.

A user named cat

Word of warning: stay the hell away from the newest NFS. It's like some broken GTR mod, you slide around corners like a snowmobile. They basically tried doing some arcade/sim and it failed on both fronts.

There are way too many arcade racers out there, and far too few decent sims. PC has the best ones thankfully and it's sad to see games like Gran Turismo and Forza get all the recognition from console tards when GTR, rFactor and Live for Speed rape them infinitely. Especially when taking the mod community into account. I know nobody here is looking for sims, just ranting a little. I suck at them but much prefer them over all the arcade racers.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Phantasmal said:
Word of warning: stay the hell away from the newest NFS. It's like some broken GTR mod, you slide around corners like a snowmobile. They basically tried doing some arcade/sim and it failed on both fronts.

There are way too many arcade racers out there, and far too few decent sims. PC has the best ones thankfully and it's sad to see games like Gran Turismo and Forza get all the recognition from console tards when GTR, rFactor and Live for Speed rape them infinitely. Especially when taking the mod community into account. I know nobody here is looking for sims, just ranting a little. I suck at them but much prefer them over all the arcade racers.

Well, for its time, Stunts was pretty much as "sim" as you got them. I think it even had authentic cabins and gearshifts depending on what car you choose.

Anyways, when next I get in the mood for a racing-game, I'll go for GTR, no dice. But right now I would really like to crash and burn. Think I'm gonna do the dos-box thing.

A user named cat

If you want crash and burn, give one of the earlier suggestions a try -- Flatout 2. Pretty fun game, much better than the Burnout series. It has regular racing, durby and lots of mini-games where you toss your driver through the windshield into goals (basketball, darts, bowling, etc.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXxBUAV-iTU

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Phantasmal said:
If you want crash and burn, give one of the earlier suggestions a try -- Flatout 2. Pretty fun game, much better than the Burnout series. It has regular racing, durby and lots of mini-games where you toss your driver through the windshield into goals (basketball, darts, bowling, etc.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXxBUAV-iTU

Flatout 2 looks pretty fun. I'm on it :)

A user named cat

Post back here once you get into it, I'm curious how well you'll do on the mini-games. Took me a while to get decent at them, have to time them just right. The bowling one is a pain trying to dodge those balls down the ramp without killing your acceleration.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^ Looks interesting actually. Is it any good?

Phantasmal said:
Post back here once you get into it, I'm curious how well you'll do on the mini-games. Took me a while to get decent at them, have to time them just right. The bowling one is a pain trying to dodge those balls down the ramp without killing your acceleration.

Well, before even considering purchasing it, I'm gonna not remove it from inventory to try it out. But the game's really fucking hard to attempt that with. So it might be a week or so, but then I'll definetely post here :)

A user named cat

Driver was okay years ago, pretty bad now since we've seen more. It was basically GTA if you took out everything except the driving missions. Too much timer based stuff. At least from what I remember.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I suppose you have played interstate '76?

Great arcade fun, if you disregard the horrible bug on mission 11.
Works on wine with a few tweaks if you swing that way.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
SCO said:
I suppose you have played interstate '76?

Great arcade fun, if you disregard the horrible bug on mission 11.
Works on wine with a few tweaks if you swing that way.

Win7 all the way baby. I'll take a look at it, but right now I'm supposed to finish Wizardry8, play some CiV, finish my current runthrough of Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy and keep my 2v2 ranking in SC2 with a mate on a fairly stable level. Oh, and college.

So many games, so little time :(

MetalCraze

Arcane
Pure is good. Played it for a week which is a huge achievement of modern games for me.

Wish it had split screen though instead of crappy Spilt/Second

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Pure looks exactly like the sort of thing I'm looking for! Definetely going to install that.

DwarvenFood said:
That one carting game with split screen option.. Whacky Wheels !!

A Mario-karter on the other hand is not what I'm looking for, despite having loads of fun with it at level age 10.

The panda rox.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom