Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Storm of Zehir Party

KevinV12000

Arcane
One of my first encounters with the divisions that now are commonplace in the gaming world was with a friend back in the late 70's who took deep exception to my DnD fighter equipping a spear and a short sword.

"Look," he said, "that makes no sense. A short sword does 1-6 points of damage, while a long sword does 1-8 and a really good 1-12 if the bad guy is large sized!"

Yes, but my fighter was trained to use a spear and a short sword. End of discussion.

Today, the MMO world has marked the victory of the number-crunchers over the role-players. About 2.34 hours after a game is released, everyone knows the "best" build, the "best" weapons, how to use the game mechanics to maximum effect, etc.

The reason I adore Obsidian is because they are one of the few studios out there still making games that we gamers can play and enjoy, without having to accept the min-maxers ruthless logic.

That said, I've decided my party will be in honor of the best four players I ever DM'ed, by using those four's characters:

1) Oswald, a half-orc Barbarian/Cleric of Tempus

2) Armand, a half-elf Swashbuckler (was a fighter with a Weap Finesse build)

3) Geerson, a gnome Rogue/Illusionist

4) Shalya, a gnome Druid

I can't frickin' wait.

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
I was always pretty intimidated by the min-maxer posts for ZOMG PERFEKT character builds I'd see here and there on the Bioware forums. HOWEVER, the one to make the WORST character build made me laugh my ass off.

I also really don't dig on metagaming all that much. Back when I played WoW, I was a tauren warrior, arms/fury, and I wielded 2 swords. People said I should go Prot spec and tank all the time, but goddammit, I just wanted to hit things and make them die - I liked the idea of having a class with several viable paths. But THEN no assholes will bring you along as DPS in their group. So... balls. Anyhow.

Although I admit I tried to have a nice wide selection of character classes with the cohorts, I never wanted to put in a character who didn't intrigue me, who I didn't think I could expand into a full companion if the magical developer fairy came along and granted me the time to do so. That doesn't mean I tried to give them all tragic pasts, god no - I just prioritized giving them a strong character voice versus min-maxing every single one of their stats (although don't get me wrong - I also did my best to make them proper awesome as well!)

Anyhow. I'ma quit rambling and get caffeine. I've gotta remember to stay away from the internet until I'm properly woken up.

deuxhero

Arcane
does that mean none of them have points in parry?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom