Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellar Assault SS - SEGA Saturn space combat sim, now with English patch and mission stick support

LarryTyphoid

Scholar

Stellar Assault SS, a SEGA Saturn remake of the SEGA 32X game Stellar Assault released only in Japan, recently received a romhack that adds full English localization, including dubbed voice acting. The patch also adds support for the Saturn Mission Stick, which was made for flight sims. You can also play it with a joystick of your choice through an emulator.

I haven't played it much, but it's pretty arcade-y and it's satisfying to shoot stuff.

Derringer

Prophet
Stellar Assault 32x was fun from what little I played of it emulated.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Hey I didn't know it got a fan translation. Or maybe I did but I forgot.

I was going to do a space minsim (new genre classificiation by me) mini marathon replaying TIE fighter, and giving Freespace 2 my first serious effort. Will add this to the list.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Correction: this is a sequel to the 32X game, not a remake.

The game's pretty cool but there's two aspects of it that completely clash with one another: first, the game has no saves, so you have to beat it all in one sitting (there is a "save" option when you beat a level, but this appears to only save a replay of your game up to that point, since replays were a popular feature in space sims for some reason). This is already stretching things because it's like 2 hours long, but whatever, it's not a big deal. You'd think that the game having no saves would mean the game's got an arcade style, right? Maybe, but that doesn't make a lot of sense when there are constant unskippable cutscenes in the middle of missions, some of which can last up to 2 damn minutes. Imagine trying to replay the game to get to the point where you stopped last time and having to sit through a collective 10 minutes of comedy routines from the characters with no option to skip them.

It just displays a real lack of common sense from the developers; they got a bunch of professional voice actors (including the guy who played Data in the Japanese dub of Star Trek TNG), so they wanted to have cutscenes to include them and have banter between the characters, but they didn't bother to create an easy way for those scenes to be skipped since they're all in-engine and take place in the levels themselves and it might have been hard to program a way to skip them, so they just said "fuck it, our cutscenes are so great that nobody will wanna skip them anyway!". If you really HAVE to have unskippable cutscenes, then at least give a way to save your damn progress in the game. I sit down to try and complete the whole game, but by the third level I'm already so demotivated from having to sit through the same fucking cutscenes I already watched 5 times.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Correction: this is a sequel to the 32X game, not a remake.

The game's pretty cool but there's two aspects of it that completely clash with one another: first, the game has no saves, so you have to beat it all in one sitting (there is a "save" option when you beat a level, but this appears to only save a replay of your game up to that point, since replays were a popular feature in space sims for some reason). This is already stretching things because it's like 2 hours long, but whatever, it's not a big deal. You'd think that the game having no saves would mean the game's got an arcade style, right? Maybe, but that doesn't make a lot of sense when there are constant unskippable cutscenes in the middle of missions, some of which can last up to 2 damn minutes. Imagine trying to replay the game to get to the point where you stopped last time and having to sit through a collective 10 minutes of comedy routines from the characters with no option to skip them.

It just displays a real lack of common sense from the developers; they got a bunch of professional voice actors (including the guy who played Data in the Japanese dub of Star Trek TNG), so they wanted to have cutscenes to include them and have banter between the characters, but they didn't bother to create an easy way for those scenes to be skipped since they're all in-engine and take place in the levels themselves and it might have been hard to program a way to skip them, so they just said "fuck it, our cutscenes are so great that nobody will wanna skip them anyway!". If you really HAVE to have unskippable cutscenes, then at least give a way to save your damn progress in the game. I sit down to try and complete the whole game, but by the third level I'm already so demotivated from having to sit through the same fucking cutscenes I already watched 5 times.
I had this exact problem with Assault Suit Valken when going for the 1CC and also Burning Rangers (rescues such a pace breaker). Surprisingly, I didn't have the problem with The Firemen. Highly recommend all these games despite this very annoying flaw, and it is no where near as pronounced as described for Stellar Assault (mandatory pauses are only 20 seconds max, still annoying tho when playing "seriously").

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom