Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Steel Division 2

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, no one cares?

I actually liked SD 44, played a lot of MP, had some fun in 1vs1. I think Eugen is making some good moves, like the integration of the old divisions into the new game. The thing that killed SD was the outright horrible balance. You could excuse them if they actually tried to fix it, but I remember them going on a long fucking break and then bringing new maps (old maps that were rotated for the most part) instead of a balance patch. I hope they learned something, since the player numbers dropped so fast it went under Red Dragon a few months after release. It's a game that has a steep enough learning curve as it is (I guess that won't change with 2 either), but people really get discouraged when they see that 2 divisions are viable and everything else is inferior in every single way.

I preordered, don't want Eugen to fail and go down since nobody makes (will make?) games like this anymore, but no gameplay footage yet isn't really promising.

warci

Educated
Was super disappointed with SD after playing countless hours of wargame. The frontline mechanics ruined any kind of surprise attack, but the maps were especially horrible and felt like they were from robotron 2084. You basically had a maze with impenetrable walls (bocage is not as a freaking god-mode barrier for god's sake!) so prohibited any kind of manoeuvring and just meant rushing through tiny corridors and get slaughtered in easy to set up killzones. Utter garbage. I did like the morale system though.
While wargame was basically a rock-paper-scissors simulation, it kind of felt you were actually in control of things. I don't know what this is supposed to be?

Edija

Arcane
Patron
No one playing the Beta? I have to say I'm pleasantly suprised. I've been playing it on my channel a bit and it feels and plays really good. The battles are massive, balance is still a bit rough but you'd expect that. The only real issue I have is that objectives can sometimes be barely visible, especially if they are covered by the frontline, in a forest and so on. All in all, I'm happy how SD2 is turning out for now.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Last phase of Beta started today with all divisions in. If you have preordered you can play until release.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Greatly enjoying watching multiplayer tournament battles. Hopefully will sink into the game soon.
My only complain so far is sound. I mean, can’t they pay a little more than 5 bucks for voiceover and sound banks? I don’t even mention lack of echoes, which sadly is normal for game industry.

Gromoer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Game’s great really, surprised there’s not much discussion here. The one thing that prevents its campaign from becoming very popular is that there’s no introduction part where a player is supposed to be slowly familiarized with the process. Instead you’re being thrown right into the mess which is the strategic map with shit load of what to take care of right at the start. There’s no even mandatory tutorial, so you are supposed to know how different divisions interact, how to use artillery, reconnaissance and aviation, how different map terrains impact different types of units, etc. etc. So any person who’s new to the franchise is going to be lost not able to care. Hell I’ve spent quite some time in Wargame (their previous series) and I am still struggling with campaign mode. I am not even talking about the tactical level that is very hardcore itself with ammunition and fuel being a things.
So honestly, while I respect this kind of approach, I think some catering to novices could have helped elevating the series. Don’t know how Eugen feel themselves financially speaking, but something tells me this attitude won’t keep them afloat for long.

Game’s great really, surprised there’s not much discussion here. The one thing that prevents its campaign from becoming very popular is that there’s no introduction part where a player is supposed to be slowly familiarized with the process. Instead you’re being thrown right into the mess which is the strategic map with shit load of what to take care of right at the start. There’s no even mandatory tutorial, so you are supposed to know how different divisions interact, how to use artillery, reconnaissance and aviation, how different map terrains impact different types of units, etc. etc. So any person who’s new to the franchise is going to be lost not able to care. Hell I’ve spent quite some time in Wargame (their previous series) and I am still struggling with campaign mode. I am not even talking about the tactical level that is very hardcore itself with ammunition and fuel being a things.
So honestly, while I respect this kind of approach, I think some catering to novices could have helped elevating the series. Don’t know how Eugen feel themselves financially speaking, but something tells me this attitude won’t keep them afloat for long.
I looked at the game, my god there are so many DLC's....I played the first version of the game and did not really like it, but have watched video of this version and it seems better like they have moved to make it a bit more of a tactical wargame and less of an arcade game, which was my main issue with it...maybe I will check it out when it goes on sale or whatever.

Removal

Scholar
AG on release was a little half baked and suffered from reusing a lot of the same maps + overly large map sizes.
Warno's AG looks like it's gonna be a lot more refined based on the videos

VerSacrum

Educated
Pirated this because you can play the based side but got bored after a while because it's just Wargame reskin

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
After trying this game for some 20-ish hours I dropped it because I felt like it was excruciatingly difficult and requiring a crazy amount of micromanagement, with every battle taking over an hour.

I recently watched some guy's playthrough of the Hungarian-Romanian campaign and after the first episode it dawned on me that it wasn't me who sucked at the game, everyone sucked the same way, but only I was going into the autism of directing every individual squad all the time. People actually play very sloppily and come out on top via mass attacks and high tolerance for losses.

I was also under the wrong impression that every member of every squad, and every tank is tracked in Army General while in reality it seems that only losses of full squads are tracked.

So, I've started playing Bobruisk as Soviets now, and it's pretty fun.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
People actually play very sloppily and come out on top via mass attacks and high tolerance for losses.
arent all wargame pseudo-wargames like that? basically RISK with rock paper scissors
If that's true, this reaffirms my earliest impression of SD2 and Wargame Red Dragon which was the first one of the series I tried. The first thing that struck me was "Why does this exist when we have CoH2?" It's just inferior in every way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom