Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starcraft skirmish no-rush

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
Is there any mod or option to disable the early rush of the A.I.? I'd like to play some single player skirmish against more A.I. opponents, but the early rushes are killing me.
Btw I saw a youtube video about two korean are playing and they were rushing with SCVs and zerg drones in the beginning of the game. Incredible LOL!

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
theverybigslayer said:
Btw I saw a youtube video about two korean are playing and they were rushing with SCVs and zerg drones in the beginning of the game. Incredible LOL!

They were probably just scouting. Did they send all their mining units or just 1?

Destroid

Arcane
I think he is trying to play against multiple AIs at once. It won't really be feasible unless you have unlimited resources.

kris

Arcane
Jaime Lannister said:
theverybigslayer said:

They were probably just scouting. Did they send all their mining units or just 1?

I find it possible that in a 2vs2 game two players can send all their drones and take out one opponent. Just that the economic damage could mean that the fourth player gets ahead enough to blast them away if he is competent.

Major_Boobage

Scholar
theverybigslayer said:
Is there any mod or option to disable the early rush of the A.I.? I'd like to play some single player skirmish against more A.I. opponents, but the early rushes are killing me.

Read a build-order help and you will be able to stop the computer. If you can't then, you suck.

Not sure about SC, but in WC3 rushing is risky. There's a bit of a paper-rock-scissors to the meta-strategy. Usually fast-tech > rush, as with a couple of static defenses and homebase advantage you can survive the rush without interrupting the tech, then hit them with superior units. Early expansion > fast-tech, as neither side will be able to mount more than a harassment upon the opposing base, and the expansion will soon give an unbeatable economic advantage, even with temporarily inferior units. Rush > early expansion, for obvious reasons.

There are exceptions by race, but usually the rush is best reserved either if you catch an opponent expanding early, or as part of a 'so-damn-crazy-it-might-just-work' strategy. An example of the latter was where a guy won the deciding game of the world WC3 championship by playing undead, unsummoning his base in order to get a marginally greater cashflow to get like 2 more ghouls out, and then doing an all-or-nothing lich-rush against his opponent.

In SC, from what I'm told, zerg-rush is still viable against good players, but more as a means of slowing their economy than as a genuine attempt to get an early victory. More of a WC3 style harassment, using zerg's early speed advantage to get in, wreck some shit, and then get out without losing units.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Like I said in the other thread, War3 games are funny to watch. You get a lot of really silly shit going on. The game is a bit broken. Half the units in the game aren't ever used, most players just spam 2. Most of the games I watch nobody even expands, it's hilarious.

Raapys

Arcane
Been a while since I played the AI, but from what I remember they won't attack you if you just have some units yourself; the AI appears to cheat and knows which units you have, so if they see you've enough to fend them off, they'll wait and build up more forces before attacking.

kingcomrade said:
Like I said in the other thread, War3 games are funny to watch. You get a lot of really silly shit going on. The game is a bit broken. Half the units in the game aren't ever used, most players just spam 2. Most of the games I watch nobody even expands, it's hilarious.

Most units are useful, but only for quite specific tactics.

Eg with undead - every unit in the game is useful in some situations, but some are very rare.
First up you'll be choosing between a creature build or a ghoul build. Can't afford the upgrades on both. You'll definitely be getting either banshees, maybe necros, but only upgrading one of them. You'll be getting statues in every game that doesn't turn into a rush, and hence destroyers in most games.

Against humans, when I played, the cookie-cutter strat was 1 of 2 options. Main one was DK 1st take a rod, harass their base if they are shit, harass their creeping if they are good, use a team of ghouls to creep and use cannablism to heal between each creeping, send back badly injured ones to base so you lose none. When humans (we're assuming a mid-level, i.e. shit, opponent) tech to casters you'll have fast-teched to ghoul frenzy, with 3 heroes (economic advantage through harassment), destroyers to mass dispel. Add more ghouls if they go lots of rifelmen, more destroyers for less rifles but more casters. use lots of healing scrolls.
summary: both sides use mostly tier 1 upgraded units, humans also tend to use tier 2 casters, ud use a tier 2 healer and tier 3 anti-magic. Humans win if they get an expansion up or force early confrontation, undead win if they harass correctly and deny the expansion.

Vs orc: Most go creature build w/burrow. Aiming for one of 2 cookie-cutter builds. Necros+pults (as a surprise attack - orcs tech early, but have a weak spot where your at T2 but their wyverns haven't reached critical mass to overwhelm your crypt fiends). Mostly its battles between hit+run DK-sped fiends vs raiders trying to net one fiend each harassment to kill it. If UD reach T3.5 it's a win to the UD - orcs can't handle frost wyrms with adequate support. I don't mean mass wyrms - they'll get pwned, I mean literally 1 or 2 wyrms with caster buffs being used in the same group as your heroes as part of the undead tri-hero nuke. Usually go DK+crypt lord so the Orc meat doesn't overwhelm me, and so the crypt fiends have some time to retreat between harassments. If the fiends take out enough burrows to stop the orcs getting mass wyverns (there's a critical mass where it goes from fiends>wyverns to wyverns>fiends) then orcs are screwed. If the orcs force a fight at tier 2, then UD are screwed. Oddly, minor deviation from cookie-cutter screws even decent-ranked players. I scored a lot of wins with necro-frenzied fiends, where I should have been wiped except the opposition didn't think to deviate even slightly from his straight wyverns+raiders build to get anything to dispell.

But in summary: fiends are used, necros often used, banshees sometimes for possession (they're your only hope if orcs tech to tier3 and you expanded and need to buy time to get wyrms out without getting raped by Tauren), pults often used and a wyrm or 2 is the main aim.

Vs N-elf: cookie-cutter is ghouls to mass aboms+demos, with a few unupgraded banshees for curse, necros for frenzy (or raise dead if they're too moronic to bring wisps). You even use fiends early (but don't both to upgrade them, cause you'll be switching to non-creature build later) if they start building huntresses. Ghouls if they use archers. Very much a scout+react matchup. Another cookie-cutter is to use a LOT of gargoyles at tier 2. Sounds unintuitive considering the anti-air nelfs have, but gargs are fast in retreat, and are insane for base harassment. Your hero harasses their creeping, your ghouls do your creeping and your gargs gp behind the enemy base, come in kill all their wisps and flee out of range. Requires microing 3 different groups at once though. The other thing is that gargs get great damage bonsuses to huntresses (as to pults- they get great bonuses against most elf units).
Summary: much use of aboms, use of either ghouls or fiends early game, much gargs at tier 3, statues as always, not a lot of casters but they're there.

- mirror match - obviously either ghouls to ghoul frenzy+gargs (more ghouls if they have creature builds, more gargs if they have ghouls). Destroyers work ok, but you're unlikely to see casters - statues are a given so you can get a destroyer quickly if you need it. Aboms might appear later, but generally high-cost single units are poor choices due to cripple and possession, and the tri-hero nuke. I'd win most mirror matches by forcing a tier 2 showdown. If they aren't scouting then go Crypt Lord first, if possible decoy the opponent into thinking I'm going a ghoul build, then go a strict fiend build, using CL+bugs+fiends for fast-creeping. Then get DK, stats, and delay ever so slightly to get necros with frenzy. The opposide UD player almost certainly lacks destroyers at that point, and they are expecting a straight fiends+stats attack. The frenzy+judicious use of raise dead would win almost all the time. Trade-off if you go DK first is you'll have the speed boost to make harassment possible against the naturally faster ghouls, using burrow to heal up wounded fiends while it's much harder for the opponent to save wounded ghouls.

summary: almost any tier 1 unit will be commonly used, maybe casters as well.

So, whilst some units get used more than others, every single one of them is awesome in at least one situation, depending on race and opposing strategy.

My pro friend said to me one that (and I have NO idea whether this is bullshit, but it seemed plausible) that the Koreans acknowledge that WC3 is actually strategically more complex than SC, but that comparatively it sucked ass to watch (they watch games televised, remember). In SC the armour values and damage bonuses make sense - if it looks like one unit should have an advantage over another, then it usually will. Whereas in WC3 you get some truly bizarre counters: demos countering huntresses, gargs countering huntresses, the bizarre 'critical mass' swap where mass wyverns counter mass fiends, but less number of fiends counter less number of wyverns, aboms countering bears, archers and huntresses, etc.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
Jaime Lannister said:
Did they send all their mining units or just 1?

They sent all their mining units and the game was over and hundreds of korean fans were cheering :)

Thanks for the advices, mainly for the build-order help.
I've found a very interesting hint:
5) Pray to whatever God you worship that your opponent messed up his build
order. :)

AzraelCC

Scholar
The AI is quite easy to beat, especially if you know the vanilla build orders for each race. This of course only applies to tournament maps (those which have the natural expansion outside your base).

Zerg - 9 ovi, 12 hatch, 11 pool, 10 gas. Make sure to build sunkens if you're up against protoss and place your zerglings outside of you base to flank them as the early push comes.

Protoss - 8 pylon (at the natural choke), 12 nexxus, then depending on the enemy, 13 forge and then photons, or if terran, 13 gateway, assimilator

Terran - 7 depot, 10 rax, 12 rax. Don't forget to build a bunker at the choke point. You can fast expand if you're going against zerg, turtle up against toss. As far as fighting the AI, Terran is quite easy to use; I've beaten 3 melee computer players using terran, even if I use zerg in multiplayer.

Major_Boobage

Scholar
The AI isnt bad, its most feared for its timed push but anyone playing starcraft following the basic principles of mp and a decent buildorder will squash it like a bug.

The AI is also dumb in this way : if u attack a miner it keeps coming after the attacker and it doesnt mine. Funny as hell.

kris

Arcane
the best way to avoid rushes is to play on an island map, otherwise just get up some of the first units and the AI won't do it.

Before they updated the AI I defeated 7 AI on an island map. ;)

Korgan

Arbiter
This is what I can never enjoy in an RTS. To me, an RTS battle should look cool, reward smart and realistic tactics and tell a story as it unfolds. BFME had all of this in a way, but sadly it was casual and lacked variety.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom