Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starcraft 2 launches July 27

Project: Eternity
http://www.starcraft-source.com/article ... ew/?id=532

IRVINE, Calif., May 03, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. announced today that its highly anticipated real-time strategy game, StarCraft(R) II: Wings of Liberty(TM), will arrive in stores throughout the United States, Canada, Europe, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand, Russia, Mexico, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, the Philippines, and the regions of Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau starting on July 27, 2010. Players will also be able to purchase StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty directly from Blizzard Entertainment shortly after the retail launch.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
That's pretty cool, bro. I wonder if they'll make any significant changes from the latest beta build. The game's already surprisingly well-balanced, but I'd love to see Lurkers come back.

Elzair

Cipher
Soon, you will be able to hand over $180 to Bobby Kotick's Swiss bank account for the privilege of buying the same game three times!

Last edited:

Suicidal

Arcane
Personally, I have no problem with Blizzard making 3 SC2 games PROVIDED that the two others will be expansion packs, will offer at least the same amount of new content as Brood War did to the original Starcraft and will be priced as expansion packs.

But it won't actually be this way, right?

Fomorian

Novice
Is anyone outside of South Korea actually going to pay for all three games anyway?

I doubt it.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Suicidal said:
PROVIDED that the two others will be expansion packs
They're not.
will be priced as expansion packs
They're not.
will offer at least the same amount of new content as Brood War did to the original Starcraft
This is the only unknown so far. We have a number of missions: 30 each. What does that mean? The fanboys have already decided each mission will be as long, involved and interesting as in the original game. The haters have already decided they will each be 5 minutes long. Personally I am slightly inclined towards the haters, but I suspect that the missions will in fact be longer but just very bland. I really don't see how they can keep both the missions and story interesting for 30 missions in a row. Of course the fact they're starting with the Terrans, the least interesting of the 3 sides, doesn't make things any better.

Verdit: will not physically remove from an inventory. If that.

Fomorian said:
Is anyone outside of South Korea actually going to pay for all three games anyway?
Koreans play multiplayer only so they're the last people who would buy 2nd and 3rd game.

denizsi

Arcane
How short sighted. 2nd and 3rd games will surely add new stuff to multiplayer, so everyone will buy them all.

relootz

Scholar
Well you will *need* to buy them because the competitive scene will always use the latest version, no matter how skilled or unskilled you are.

I will buy them all three, frankly i do not care about the price issue, it has been discussed ten times before, there is no need to discuss it again.

Destroid

Arcane
I wouldn't mind if they sold a cheaper MP only version of the game. Couldn't give a shit about their single player campaign and I'm not interested in paying over $200 for a computer game, in installments or not.

I have not purchased the DoW 2 expansion for the same reason - it simply isn't worth it to get one extra faction in multiplayer.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Once the third one comes out, you'll only need to buy that one for the CD-key and pirate the previous two. The only reason you would need all of them for multiplayer is if they plan on adding more races and if they make it like in the DoW expansions, where you can only play the new races if you don't have the original.

Of course, what they didn't mention is when the 2nd and 3rd games will be released. My guess is one year each, but they could pull a HL2:EP3 on us and stall each expansion for years. WoW was released in 2004, but the first expansion only came in 2007.

Destroid

Arcane
1 year apart would be terrible, this is not an adequate time frame for them to produce and test high quality content worthy of a full price game.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
It's not so bad, just look at Blizz' other games:

Warcraft 2 had came out in 1995 and had 28 missions. Beyond the Dark Portal came out a whopping four months later and had 24 missions of slightly better quality. These missions weren't that varied though, but good for 1995/96.

Starcraft came out in 1998 and had 30 missions. Brood War came out nine months later and had just as many missions. Both sets were very good quality at the time and much more varied than "build base and win".

Warcraft 3 came out in 2002 and had 32 missions. The Frozen Throne came out almost exactly a year later and had 26 missions. These missions were even better quality than Starcraft's.

If the pattern keeps up, you should get the first expansion after around 14 or 15 months with 30 missions of good quality.

Destroid

Arcane
So. I guess their claims that it was too hard (and expensive) to make 30 missions was complete lies because they have obviously done it many times before, at expansion prices.

kris

Arcane
Destroid said:
So. I guess their claims that it was too hard (and expensive) to make 30 missions was complete lies because they have obviously done it many times before, at expansion prices.

No. Their claim was more that they didn't want to just make 10 missions per race, but wouldn't be able to put in 90 missions in one game. If I think what they do will have earning more money in mind, then I'd say yes. I will most likely still buy all three since I have faith in their ability to deliver on this.

that their beta that has been long on by now is more stable and balanced than pretty much every full product released helps.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Have you seen some previews of the missions, Destuctoid? I mean, we can't know, but it looks like they're gonna be much more deep than even the Warcraft III missions, which were pretty awesome for a fucking RTS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom