Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Stance: Hope]

Wintermute

Augur
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I have played some other games where because I didn't have a high enough skill in a particular weapon, it decided I missed even if I had a reticule directly over the target's face. It really cheesed me off that some hidden dice roll overruled my aiming skill.
Has he never heard of divine intervention?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb9rk6M6cpE&feature=related

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
I have played some other games where because I didn't have a high enough skill in a particular weapon, it decided I missed even if I had a reticule directly over the target's face. It really cheesed me off that some hidden dice roll overruled my aiming skill.
I'm interested in hearing about what games he's referring too. Every FPS/RPG hybrid I've played had tightening crosshairs, making determining your accuracy easy as hell.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Spectacle said:
What's really the difference between "I aimed right for his head, but missed because my character skill was too low" and "I shot him right in the head, but he didn't die because my character skill was too low"?
one is logical, the other is not.
increased damage would make more sense when tied to medicine/anatomy, though even then it wouldn't be a good implementation.

Pastel

Scholar
notnats said:
spectre said:
Missing is not fun, so it seems.

Actually it prevents the stupidity of Mass Effect, where your character could be a master sniper for example, but with an Assault rifle, not hit the broad side of a barn.
I don't think there are all that big similarities between sniper rifles and assault rifles. One requires careful aiming, good intuition to quickly adjust for weather and gravity, and a steady hand. The other would require a steady grip and the ability to appreciate where the bullets will hit.

Plus, now, if your skill is low, instead of missing the guy with logical results (he sounds the alarm, etc.), you'll still hit him, but have to unload a dozen magazines to kill him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom