Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space Hulk games

Archibald

Arcane
So there is board game and some adaptations done officially and by the fans. Thats all clear, but I'm wondering more about other games that were inspired by it.

If I'm not mistaken Incubation was inspired by it? Steam Marines (not recommended) also feels like adaptation of Space Hulk into roguelike genre. What else is there?

Also, am I correct in my assumption that one of the main influences of Space Hulk was Alien/Aliens movies?

Baron

Arcane
Incubation was VERY inspired by it. Not a bad game, still have the boxed copy and expansion here.

Of course there is Space Hulk (1993)

Space%20Hulk_8.png

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/421/Space+Hulk.html

Good times, high death count, player would frequently go all Gorman as your team fell apart. There was plenty of "We are the mailed fist of the Emperor" being uttered in my neighbourhood in 1993.

Baron

Arcane
"Space Crusade is a turn based 1 to 3 player strategic game where players take control of a Space marine Squad. The AI is acting for the aliens. After choosing a mission, the marines must be equipped and orders have to be chosen. The higher the rank of the commander, the higher the amount of orders he can give in battle. The commander is the most important figure of your squad. He can gain higher ranks by completing missions which will, in turn, allow more orders to be given out, and will also allow him to carry more equipment. All three commanders can be saved after completing a mission."

Space%20Crusade_4.png

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/928/Space+Crusade.html[/quote]

Never played this one, but it looks pretty cool. Add that to the list to check out someday.

Beowulf

Arcane
There was also this:
http://www.teardown.se/alienassault.html - pretty neat from what I remember, basicaly unofficial Space Hulk, but can't comment on the rules, as I played it long time ago, in a galax... err...
Anyway, apparently there is a sequel in the making.

Beowulf

Arcane

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There is the recent Wh40k : Deathwatch, which plays like Incubation which was inspired by SH.
The level design is great, and the game is good, if you happen not to run into a game killing bug.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Space Hulk is a quite decent tactical game well worth a discounted price. It's not as good as some others (XCOM to give an example), but those who like tactical games should definitely give it a try. Although there basically is no variety in units, especially enemy units, some missions provide a very good challenge, but are not too frustrating if you take a minute or two to think and generally the game is fun, albeit a bit too slow.

Beowulf

Arcane
Space Hulk is a quite decent tactical game well worth a discounted price. It's not as good as some others (XCOM to give an example), but those who like tactical games should definitely give it a try. Although there basically is no variety in units, especially enemy units, some missions provide a very good challenge, but are not too frustrating if you take a minute or two to think and generally the game is fun, albeit a bit too slow.

Which one? I can't see any of the new Space Hulks discounted, at least on steam. Am I missing something?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Which one? I can't see any of the new Space Hulks discounted, at least on steam. Am I missing something?
I mean the first one, the one just called "Space Hulk", I did not play Ascension.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom