Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SoW - Some more screens.

LCJr.

Erudite
Unradscorpion said:
I love how the colour palette is aimed at Europeans.

You just have to expand on that statement.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Needs more small objects and stuff like that to make the world more lived in. But otherwise it looks really nice. The water is particularly good looking. :D

LCJr.

Erudite
Question. Are these locations actually going to serve any purpose?

Reason I'm asking is I've finally got around to playing the latest version of M&B and I'm looking at the cities and still thinking what a waste of time. IMHO it's a waste of the developers time that could have spent on more substantial content. And it's a waste of my playing time having to run through the streets trying to find the guild master to get a quest. Or having to enter a village to talk to the chief. I much preferred it when towns were just menus. I've yet to see any game that had towns that impressed or, to use that buzzword, "immersed" me in the experience. Maybe I'm just a simpleton but I got more enjoyment out of say Darklands with it's music, a pixelated watercolor and my imagination than I have any attempt at visual representation.

J1M

Arcane
As I understand it you are making this game entirely by yourself.

I am curious as to what your engine and toolset is and what your content pipeline is like.

LCJr. said:
Are these locations actually going to serve any purpose?

yesasian.gif

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Question. Are these locations actually going to serve any purpose?

Very much so. SoW is more "urban" than many RPGs, ie it isn't the case that you go to the city, get quests, then go out to the real adventure areas and do some stuff, then go back to the city and turn in the quest, etc etc.

The city is the adventure area. These are the main areas where you do things, where you interact with factions and NPCs and get caught up in the politics. I have always vastly preferred urban adventures to any other type, SoW reflects this.

The best example I can give you of similar "uban adventure" design is Sigil in PS:T and the city hubs in Bloodlines. Exploring those cities and interacting with the denizens was great fun, it certainly didn't feel "purposeless" to me. If anything, I wanted MOAR. So the main city hubs in SoW (Korrinport, Tyver, Endhaurvar) is where I put most of my focus.

It's also more efficient, art asset wise, to reuse areas for multiple plotlines and quests. Cities are perfect for this. :D

Maybe I'm just a simpleton but I got more enjoyment out of say Darklands with it's music, a pixelated watercolor and my imagination than I have any attempt at visual representation.

I agree though, they were very good :)

As I understand it you are making this game entirely by yourself.

I am curious as to what your engine and toolset is and what your content pipeline is like.

Yep, I am. Although I buy art/sound when I can, where appropriate.

I use the Torque Game Engine Advanced. Content wise, Torque has a built in scripting engine and WYSIWYG editors, to which I have added a number of RPG-focused enhancements. For art I use 3DS Max and Photoshop.

LCJr.

Erudite
Thanks. That's exactly what I wanted to know. And they do look good.

xuerebx

Erudite
More screenshots? You said you'll be posting more in a couple of weeks but I want a New Year's gift ;)

xuerebx

Erudite
Awww :( Please?

Know that some are really anticipating your game, like me ;) And it's been a while since you posted an update.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom