Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Source Engine to be used for MMORPG

plin

Liturgist
Valve Software sends along this press release, announcing that Half-...no, that would be cool but instead announcing that the Source Engine has been licensed for an MMORPG. Smiling Gator Productions is using the engine that powers Half-Life 2 for their game Twilight War: After the Fall.

"The Source engine is one of the gaming world's premier technologies, we are thrilled about the features it will bring to Twilight War: After the Fall," says Kingsley Montgomery, Vice President of Development at Smiling Gator Productions. "Its combat system, physics, and advanced AI are exactly what we were looking for to enable the exciting features we are developing for our game. We evaluated several game engines and concluded that Valve's was the only choice for us. In addition to being a top-notch product, their support has been excellent."

http://www.shacknews.com/ja.zz?comments=33681

interesting

Sol Invictus

Erudite
The name sounds post-apocalyptic. Is it?

I just checked out the site: www.twilightwar.com

The game touts itself as an 'XORG' or Extreme Online Role Playing Game but it's really just a fancy word for MMORPGFPS. It seemed really interesting at first, reading about the game's violent post-apocalyptic setting, until I got to this:

Is a monthly subscription fee required?

Yes. To activate an account, you must have an active subscription. This fee goes to purchasing the initial game content, server maintenance, customer support, and content enhancements and additions. Subscription rates will be announced during the beta test phase, around the end of 2005.

Fuck that, then.

Spazmo

Erudite
Hey, I don't need to pay $10 a month to be extreme--I just have to wake up in the morning.

Occasionally goggles are also required.

littleboy

Liturgist
YES! I love all things X-tream, and now (finally!) I can play an online role playing game that is indeed X-tream, while eating my X-tream Rollito's and sitting in my X-tream chair and wearing my X-tream stained boxers with my X-tream slippers my X-tream cat shat on, typing on my X-tream keyboard hooked up to my Totally X-tream computer (with X-tream graphics no less). WOW!

DarkSign

Erudite
The funniest thing about the site is in the "Partners" section.

They are partners with "Speed Tree"?? For those of you who dont know, Speed Tree is a program that algorythmically produces...uhm trees.

Great partner ya got there.

And as for being partners with ATI and Nvidia, I call bullshit.

Anonymous

SpeedTree is actually pretty cool, they use it in DAoC too. Makes purdy trees in-game that are system effient and shade themselves to the position of the in-game sun.

09.jpg

And they are using it in the unreal engine now too

day_7.jpg

Anonymous

Probably, yeah.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom