Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Source engine - good for RPG's?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Indeed.
And Bloodlines only used an unfinished Source engine.

But of course there are better options. Just look at the number of engines available for free!...

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Cloaked figure, you don't know what are you talking about, do you?
Also, you don't know what you need, just have urge to create new topic, yes?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just put the whole thread-derailing DRAMA between CF and inwoker into one single post in order to clean up the thread. I still doubt this thread will be productive, but oh well.

Fenril

Scholar
The only particularly good feature of the source engine for RPGs is the whole first person camera focus on NPCs you are chatting with.

Im thinking bloodlines here of course, didnt play Half-life 2.

And proper faces with proper animations, although im not sure if that has much to do with the engine or is solely due to good artist work.

Arcanoix

Scholar
What do you guys think? Any better engine options? (The graphics must not look like dog shit).

Then why would you consider the Source engine to begin with? And besides, Valve is right there beside EA - if your concept isn't developed to their satisfaction, they take over the whole project, acquire it for using THEIR SDK, throw you out on the curb while they polish your project for OVER9000 years only to eventually make millions while your flipping burgers. (see Counter-Strike for details)

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
"if your concept isn't developed to their satisfaction, they take over the whole project"

If your mod sucks they won't even touch it, and the CS, TF, etc. guys made bank.

Source engine is also great for expressions, compare Bloodlines to Fallout 3 or MotB for example.

bhlaab

Erudite
I've seen a HL2 mod that uses the games assets to turn it into a top down RTS...

hiver

Dark messiah.

just needs more story, alternate paths and all the other goodies that make an rpg. capability excellent.

Why not, Source is one of the better engines around. It's pretty stable, looks good enough and runs well even on shit computers. What more could you ask from a 3D FPS engine?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom