Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Songs of Syx - City Builder/Grand Strategy game with Emphasis on Scale

absolutely not. usually issues come from large colonies/blocks. especially in city builders whenever you build you just solved some previous issues and further might come if you did it wrong.

Nirvash

Liturgist
Very well, let's make some tips and tricks or "just strange game mechanics i wish i knew before starting":

Cattle use ground fertility no different than crops, you can raise fertility by irrigation but not alot.
Forget about mining those 30% resources, if you truly want to be "self-sufficent" go for land with 2 iron.
Humans and elves looks like nice easy all rounders but can be a bit of a noob trap, humans easy get uppity, demand alot of things/luxuries for home, not strong fighters and want stone buildings.
Dark eldar, i mean green elf, are... evil (hate other races, like slavery, like cannibalism, like executions, like indoctrination), are all around better than humans (cattle bonus > crop bonus, wood buildings and ask for less things), but, DEAL BREAKER, they want all buildings to NOT BE square shaped, you must be very creative with them.

Nirvash

Liturgist
Tech system is... questionable, i SUPPOSE the author wants to simulate oral tradition or something.
Anyway, a tech guy produce x amount of science each... and that's it, is a finite quantity, you spent it and is consumed, but you can "forget" techs and get those points back.
You get to keep the building/producion already built, BUT cancelling basic techs stop the maintenance. (so only forget the upgrades, you don't lose those)
Oh right, libraries are also just some additional +% upgrade for the tech guys for late game.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Tech system is... questionable, i SUPPOSE the author wants to simulate oral tradition or something.
Anyway, a tech guy produce x amount of science each... and that's it, is a finite quantity, you spent it and is consumed, but you can "forget" techs and get those points back.
You get to keep the building/producion already built, BUT cancelling basic techs stop the maintenance. (so only forget the upgrades, you don't lose those)
Oh right, libraries are also just some additional +% upgrade for the tech guys for late game.
The game is all about upkeep and productivity. You're not really cheating the game much by forgetting that building enabling tech, maybe it's useful in the early game only. Because as you grow you'll focus your tech and production into the most productive and profitable stuff.

Nirvash

Liturgist
The game is all about upkeep and productivity. You're not really cheating the game much by forgetting that building enabling tech, maybe it's useful in the early game only. Because as you grow you'll focus your tech and production into the most productive and profitable stuff.
The dev just can't do the standard "generating infinite reasearch points" or "tech needs money/resources" since in this game "time" is cheap, money is a trade thing and resources are not granted.
Maybe is better to just lock all tech to milestones, anyway is a bit dumb to put 10-20% of all workforce in labs.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
You are a bit forced into investing in tech yeah, and I'm not sure if a warrior society relying on tribute is viable yet. Administration is another massive expenditure when you branch out to controlling other territories but still more productive in terms of getting resources.

Last edited:

0wca

Learned
Man the recent updates fucked this game up.

They wrecked the production to consumption ratio and now you're constantly struggling to produce enough.

They made the bandits way tougher even from the start so you're basically forced to pay them all the way to mid-game when you can muster a decent force.

Alliances don't do shit against bandits, just other nations. You can't ask for (or even pay for) military support from allies (afaik).

Farms now need wells that have TERRIBLE output, you basically need 2 wells for each farm, with 6 employees each. What the fuck are 6 people doing operating a pump!? You need 1 max 2 people for that shit, unless you're employing kids with down syndrome.

Having multiple races doing their own thing (because they're better at it) is pretty much not viable anymore, even if they're kept in separate districts throughout the city, because they get a penalty regardless. Author said it's because he wants to promote replayability or some shit, but it just makes you pay for more slaves from different races (which means you need more guards, etc.).

All in all, this game used to be a lot of fun and the dude took a completely weird direction with it. 10/10 is indeed incredibly overrated right now.

6/10 right now, 9/10 before the last few patches.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Yeah currently I can't figure this game out. Maybe the early game is weird because of the epic scale design later but it is slow going getting to the meat and potatoes - years pass just building basic colonies and battling the happiness system for every few migrants. Trade and diplomacy currently seems borked, wells and hearths are needed everywhere and every time you hit a decent stride the game hamstrings you with some new requirement that you WILL need or go into damage control for another couple hours. The flow is all off at present, but I'm no veteran...I keep waiting for something to click cos I am a Dwarf Fortress NUT and currently this isn't in the same league.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom