Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Some footage of Rome 2 at E3

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
Both RTW (EB, Invasio Barbarorum) and Med2 (Broken Crescent, TATW etc.) are great for mods.

spectre

Arcane
Indeed, Rome is great for mods, however, I've had some problems finding working download links for the less popular RTW ones.

JANKOhrp

Novice
For actual incline for a game set in that period I guess I'll have to keep hoping for Paradox to make another Rome.

I would not count on it. It seems as though Paradox somehow lost the ability to successfully start new franchises starting with their switch to 3D-engines. Rome, Sengoku and now March of the Eagles, which most have forgotten already, were all rather lacklustre.
All EU: Rome received was one half-hearted expansion, countless issues with the game were never resolved. Vicky 2, CK2 and EU3 were much more refined, but they only really build upon already established conventions.

Branm

Learned
Wake me up when the fags say they will actually improve the AI it has been the same crapy version for a dozen titles ....sigh

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
For actual incline for a game set in that period I guess I'll have to keep hoping for Paradox to make another Rome.

I would not count on it. It seems as though Paradox somehow lost the ability to successfully start new franchises starting with their switch to 3D-engines. Rome, Sengoku and now March of the Eagles, which most have forgotten already, were all rather lacklustre.
All EU: Rome received was one half-hearted expansion, countless issues with the game were never resolved. Vicky 2, CK2 and EU3 were much more refined, but they only really build upon already established conventions.

Rome felt like a rough gem that needed just a bit more attention to truly shine. Too bad it never got more than that one single expansion. Wiz (of ck2plus fame) really improved the game massively with his mod and it actually is good fun to play nowadays. Always thought it sold badly but do remember a dev once stating it actually sold pretty decent. Think it didn't get another expansion because Pdox simply went on to their bigger sellers like EU and HOI. Shame, as Rome had some of the most interesting play mechanics of any Pdox title and was the one to simulate civil wars and political instability in an absolute great way.

Don't think Pdox fail at succesfully starting new franchises. I think they never tried. Both March of the Eagles and Sengoku felt like cheap, quick money projects that they made in between their bigger releases. Sengoku in particular played like an incredibly bare-bones version of CK2.

JANKOhrp

Novice
Personally I always had the feeling, and I am sure many others did as well, that Sengoku and MotE respectively were simply quickly pushed out by pdox in order to cash in on supposed "hype" caused by their Total War equivalents released in roughly the same time frames.
I have no idea why they thought this to be necessary, and I cannot imagine these two ventures to have been particularly economically successful.

Mirthless

Educated
Still no multiplayer footage.
Massive :decline: for the competetive clan community.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I haven't been following the development. Is there any word about the battle sizes? I'm tired of fighting battles that should be like 50k men per army with 2k.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom