Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So I've finished Starcraft 2.

Sceptic said:
M_I_C_K_E_Y_M_O_U_S_E said:
And this is the problem right here. I think that people jumped to conclusions like a new enemy will causing all grudges to be forgotten
Except that those grudges WERE forgotten to face a new enemy. One that was FAR LESS DANGEROUS than the one in SC2. Oh and the reason the Raynor-Mengsk alliance broke? NOT because of something that happened between these two.

The above ultimately explains why some of you have no problem with the retcons and some of us do: you have no trouble ignoring large chunks of what happens in BW. We, on the other hand, do.

But the revolution is in overdrive!

Right, whatever. This is normally where I'd type a huge wall of text to explain why I don't share your point of view, or why I think you have a loose definition of retcon, but I'm not going to. Suffice to say that I've been known to lose objectivity when I feel this immersed and obsessed, so for all I know I might end up joining the haters on the band wagon before the month is through. Also, SCII "AINT OVER TILL ITS OVER YOU SONOVABITCH", and I'm willing to give Blizz the benefit of the doubt that Raynor and friends will continue hating on the dominion until something awful happens to Arcturus. I think I'll just quit commentating on the shit that happened in WoL now. I'm too close to SCII, and too used to video game dialogue for low quality writing to have a very negative influence on my enjoyment.

BW pretty much killed my hope for a main story which isn't full of bullshit, plot conveiniences and cliches, and the originial wasn't perfect in that regard either. I'm in it for the main characters, and I like what I saw in WoL.

I did lke the attention to small details that SCII used for character development. Like the way that Jim seems to go easy on the alcohol towards the end of WoL, Matt Horners WTF face in the video when Tosh tries to use voodoo magic, and other little things that wouldn't be possible in SCI.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Vikings Rape void rays, marines are good en masse too(and its easy to mass them). As Zerg, your only hope is mutas or a bunch of hydras. Catching them before they reach your base is also helpful, as this allows you to snipe a couple, then retreat when they charge up.

The only thing nydus worm has over overlords is that you can deploy an infinite amount of troops from it.

It just always seems the rays escape marines. Well, I haven't tried Vikings yet so maybe that's what I'm going to do.

Weird by the way how many players simply crash and burn to something simple like two reapers, medivac'd marine/marauder squad to mineral line, etc. When you hear that audio cue that tells you your scv's are under attack, why don't you look at what's happening and then do something about it? Yeah I know it's silver league, still I'd think that's something very basic, protecting your mineral line.

attackfighter

Magister
It just always seems the rays escape marines. Well, I haven't tried Vikings yet so maybe that's what I'm going to do.

stim your marines to catch up then...

and yeah vikings are also good against them it even says so in the unit description thing

the only problem with them is that blizzard made retarded maps with super short air rush distances so both them and those terran gunship things rape 100% of the time

Weird by the way how many players simply crash and burn to something simple like two reapers, medivac'd marine/marauder squad to mineral line, etc. When you hear that audio cue that tells you your scv's are under attack, why don't you look at what's happening and then do something about it? Yeah I know it's silver league, still I'd think that's something very basic, protecting your mineral line.

silver leagues pretty much E- in iccup turns. essentially you're playing with 8 year olds that don't give a fuck about whats going on

Void rays are just stupid conceptually. They are basically weak against ALL anti air and will fall like paper... unless they get into your base and charge up, in which case they rape everything. And when they get the movement speed upgrade you can't even use vikings since they are too fast to kite. Protoss can't fight charged void rays without other charged void rays or massive amounts of blink stalkers. Zerg are just always fucked balance wise unless they can pull 30 hydras out of their ass.

attackfighter

Magister
all they need to do is change the maps so void rays have a longer rush distance, asides from void ray rush they aren't too powerful

also I agree they're stupid conceptually but the same could be said for the entire game so...

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Just won one of my placement matches with nothing but void rays vs nothing but stalkers. My initial poke into his base with two rays forced my retreat, he already had ~6 stalkers or so. After I built 3 more and sent them down, I found a different spot to attack at, frying up some rocks and a pylon before his stalkers could show up. 5 void rays easily handled a dozen stalkers. He didn't micro that well, but I didn't lose a single ray. It was absurd. Vs armored units they do slightly over 40 dps when charged. Stalkers do just under 10.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
WhiskeyWolf said:
Multidirectional said:
Mrowak said:
Also, there are a handful of people who are fighting a good fight on Blizz forums.

As in.. posting huge walls of text to explain how a game about space marines fighting two alien races doesn't have a good story? Fucking nerds never cease to amaze me..
Bogus source material doesn't justify a shitty story.

@WhiskeyWolf
My thoughts exactly. As a declared, what Codex would call, storyfag I have a major gripe with SC2 plot - that nonsensic heap of turd which I have no idea what kind of pervated and corrupted mind could "produce".

Say what you want Codex but in spite of corny source material there was a huge promise in the setting after SC:BW. To fuck it up so thoroughly and actually, with contemporary technology, present the player worse story, worse plot, worse dialogue, worse lore than 12 years ago you have to be a genious of some kind, only backwards. And to gloat and be proud of it and plan to make THREE novels out of WOL only ( http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/540694703 ) you simply must be a major douchebag.

Honestly, Metzen's mind must have been warped by some alien entity into a void of some sort. Not one autor, film director, artist of any kind fell in my eyes from hero to zero so quickly. To actually become retarded after so many years of "experience" in the industry is almost beyond me ($$$). To me it was as if Chriss Avalone produced popamole shooter called: "Planescape Torment 2: Revenge of the Nameless One" (only with quite fun gameplay).

@Multidirectional

:Looks at the url in the browser window, then feels relieved: ok, what kind of alien life form are you? And WTF are you doing on mah Codex?

What promise? It seemed like BW had it all pretty well wrapped up, with only just enough unresolved thread for the fan fic writers to start working up a prophecy from. What else did you expect that was so promising? Arcturus had his dominion, the Protoss were still struggling against the Zerg, Jim had sworn to kill the Queen of Blades, Kerrigan was top of the food chain, and presumably the UED had every intention of staying back at earth and
preparing for a massive cloud of zerg invaders.

Keep in mind that this is Blizzard we're talking about, and they've never been known for their complex stories, or unconventional story telling. We have The Usual Suspects and Tarantino for that sort of thing.
I just don't understand why you're acting as if you expected anything different from Blizzard.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
M_I_C_K_E_Y_M_O_U_S_E said:
What promise? It seemed like BW had it all pretty well wrapped up
:retarded:

Was "I AM AN AGENT OF THE XEL'NAGA AND THEY WILL RETURN!" your idea of "well wrapped up"? I mean the ending text even has Kerrigan thinking that something wicked this way come. And by "ending text" I mean the very last thing you see before "THE END".

What else did you expect that was so promising? Arcturus had his dominion, the Protoss were still struggling against the Zerg, Jim had sworn to kill the Queen of Blades, Kerrigan was top of the food chain, and presumably the UED had every intention of staying back at earth and preparing for a massive cloud of zerg invaders.
Let's break this down:
1) Dominion is severely weakened and Arcturus ran away from his fight with Kerrigan to lick his wounds
2) Protoss are now in deep shit as they have lost their homeworld, one of their Judicators is dead, they've just come out of yet another civil war, and on the Dark Templar side the Matriarch was just murdered. Oh and Zeratul is probably running back to warn them that Zerg/Protoss hybrids are heading their way.
3) Raynor has just lost probably his last friend and vows to follow Kerrigan to the end of the world and be personally the one to kill her.
4) Kerrigan, now Queen Bitch of the Universe, has a feeling that something dark is approaching.
5) UED are the only ones to actually get a resolution

How the hell did you see 1-4 as being "pretty well wrapped up"?

I just don't understand why you're acting as if you expected anything different from Blizzard.
Because both Stacrcarft and Brood War were this something different? You know, the games that this is a sequel to? A company that manages to completely fuck up and go from B-movie parody to pretty good story and then to so bad it's horrible deserves all the flak.

...so you wanted SCII to show the four years of the protoss and terrans licking their wounds while Kerrigan goes AFK for 4 years? Because that's pretty much what Kerrigan "said" she'd do. And WoL shows that she kept her word. It's hard to say what Zeratul did in the four years after SCII since he never really talks about it, but thats what LotV is for I guess. Maybe there would have been something in kicking SCII off from the Zerg point of view. Could have involved Kerrigan making some shocking and horrible discovery which turned her into the nihlist and borderline suicidal character that WoL showed her as. Maybe she ran into a small group of the hybrids who were far tougher to defeat than she would have liked.

I had the impression that Raynor still had mixed feelings of vengeance and sorrow for Kerrigan, but whatever conflict he had before finding out about the third option was skimmed over enough for the retcon mafia to be up in arms apparantly. And what did you expect Raynor to do with one battle cruiser against an uber powerful enemy that he couldn't find anyway? The alternative was to pick up where the game began, and then we'd have had the Mengsk versus confederacy plot all over again, only Jim is mengsk and mengsk is the confederacy.

attackfighter said:

and yeah vikings are also good against them it even says so in the unit description thing

the only problem with them is that blizzard made retarded maps with super short air rush distances so both them and those terran gunship things rape 100% of the time

Mkay. Marines can't traverse cliffs etc. however, and Void Rays always approach from over something, and at the first sight of marines, they fall back to where the marines can't follow.

kingcomrade said:
Don't even try to justify SC2's story. If you want to suck blizzard cock send an email to their HR dept they will set up a date for you.

You might be onto something there. Seems as if their making SCII up as they go along, because I have no idea how Nova made any sense in the context of the game. They confirmed that Tychus was shoe horned into the game after seeing how popular he was. So maybe if enough people suck Blizzard cock and complain about the dialogue and the lack of linearity, Blizzard will do a better job with hots.

attackfighter

Magister
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
attackfighter said:

Mkay. Marines can't traverse cliffs etc. however, and Void Rays always approach from over something, and at the first sight of marines, they fall back to where the marines can't follow.

so don't put vulnerable shit next to impassable terrain, or build a single viking to force them to come inland or retreat

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom