Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skill/Stat requirements for quests in THE ULTIMATE RPG

Mayday

Augur
Sorry if this post is erratic and not fully clear, I'm having a hard time describing the issue :/ Coupled with my tendecy to overthink and overcomplicate problems... ugh.
I've been analyzing some aspects of quest requirements in an RPG and have reached some conclusions I'd like to discuss.

An RPG needs to allow multiple types of PCs to reach the same goals. Otherwise it's just a Hackenslash/Dungeon Crawler (only combat), a stealth game (only infiltration) or a diplomacy game (only diplomacy, was there ever even a game like this?? Torment maybe, in a way).

I believe combat, infiltration and diplomacy are the three main skillsets that a game should "support"- with different variants of course:
combat: brute force melee / finesse melee / ranged combat / magic
diplomacy: persuasion / trade
infiltration: cat-burglary / espionage
then we've got hybrids like playing a charismatic leader for tactical combat gameplay, playing an assasin (combat+infiltration), doing some research and espionage to use for blackmail later on (infiltration + diplomacy).

Essentially, we're dealing with a "game within a game"- like we're trying to put Diablo, Thief, Jagged Alliance and Torment into one product. Whether it's worth it or not- it's your call, but I'm one of the retarted idealists who wouldn't want anything more than that.

ANYWAY!
As long as you're playing a single PC, the quest requirements provide a simple enough barrier which makes for a unique playthrough. All is fine and dandy until... you befriend a thief who offers to join you in your adventures.
In a way, you have now unlocked another 1/3rd of the game that was originally reserved for a separate playthrough. Then you meet a trader and BAM, the unstoppable trio is formed.

My vision of THE ULTIMATE RPG incorporates a progression of gameplay from a solo PC (~Gothic) to a party of adventurers (~Wizardry) to a warlord/noble (~Mount and Blade). As the PC makes a name for himself, more and more people are willing to join him/work for him etc. A fighter will sooner or later save someone's life, a trader will quickly buy the services of some bodyguards

Now the question is- how to retain this progression without destroying the replayability of the game?
After all, as soon as you have a party of a few dudes, you can breeze through literally ALL the quests that were desined for the solo part of the game. Obviously once you have a hundred dudes under your command, you won't have time for that kind of crap, but before then?

So it looks like we're facing a terrible choice: either limit the game to one of those three stages (solo/party/army) which severly limits the sense of progress OR make your PC build only matter for the first 1/3rd of the game AND make the game non-replayable.

Any thoughts on this?

mondblut

Arcane
Mayday said:
In a way, you have now unlocked another 1/3rd of the game that was originally reserved for a separate playthrough.

And that's a very good thing, saving the world from retarded developers who r doin it wrong. Be glad somebody endures ONE playthrough of a shit game.

Now the question is- how to retain this progression without destroying the replayability of the game?

Make a good game and it will be replayable. Worry about "replayability" too much and you have a shitstain on your hands. Case closed.

Mayday

Augur
mondblut said:
Mayday said:
In a way, you have now unlocked another 1/3rd of the game that was originally reserved for a separate playthrough.
And that's a very good thing, saving the world from retarded developers who r doin it wrong. Be glad somebody endures ONE playthrough of a shit game.
I don't get it. We're not talking about a shit game here.

mondblut said:
Make a good game and it will be replayable. Worry about "replayability" too much and you have a shitstain on your hands. Case closed.
On one hand: If every playthrough is the same, what's the point of playing again? If you can encounter no new situations- there's no fun. What's even worse is that the remaining content of Part 1 will essentially be wasted- since not only do you play it with no challenge, you also spoil yourself to the results of playing it WITH a challenge. At the same time, mechanisms similar to those that prevent the player for doing solo quests with a fucking army could be applied for the second third, but I imagine that would be much more difficult to do in a feasible way.

On the other hand: I see what you're getting at. I'd reserve the first third of the game for "hand-written" content, and make the two latter thirds more procedural and randomly generated.

mondblut

Arcane
Mayday said:
I don't get it. We're not talking about a shit game here.

All games are shit. A few just happen to have some redeeming qualities. However, a device forcing a consumer to eat all of the shit several times over if he wants to sample every texture variation of it is most definitely not one of them.

On one hand: If every playthrough is the same, what's the point of playing again?

Because you enjoyed it, duh.

If you can encounter no new situations- there's no fun.

Not a person to read a book or watch a movie twice, are you?

On the other hand: I see what you're getting at. I'd reserve the first third of the game for "hand-written" content, and make the two latter thirds more procedural and randomly generated.

Better yet, scrap that first third altogether.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
You can't please everybody. Nor can you realistically have everything in a single project.

Story driven <-> Procedurally created, random content
Multiple play styles supported <-> A lot of diversity in single play style
Branching story/multiple solutions/C&C <-> Lengthy campaign

Of course if this is about some fictional "ultimate RPG" then the whole discussion is pointless. It won't ever be made, so who cares.

As for re-playability, I don't give a damn about character builds and multiple solutions in a story driven game where the end result is the same. One fun playthrough and the illusion of choice is enough.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Tie most quests to reputation, link your reputation to various factions, and make it so that performing certain quests or enough major quests for a particular faction can lock you out of quests for other factions due to conflict of interest.

If you're concerned about having a warrior/thief/diplomat path, then just create warrior/thief/diplomat factions.

This gives you some of the replayability you want while still providing the ability to create a varied party, since it doesn't matter if your party can do everything under the sun - they won't have the time to actually do everything. If each faction has their own goal, they won't stay around waiting forever for your group to do the work for them when they can hire someone else to do it, albeit less efficiently (since the PC's party is the best and all, usually).

Mayday

Augur
mondblut said:
Not a person to read a book or watch a movie twice, are you?

Hell, I don't even like coming back from the shop the same way I got there.
I don't think I've ever read a book twice in my whole life (unless I read a translation as a kid and wanted to read the original later on).

Treave: considering how much time I've spent figuring out the mechanics behind reputation, it's ridiculous that I didn't think about it. Thanks!

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
As it is a solo game then keep it in that spirit.

If you recruit someone, they may want payment for every quest or mission, they can flake out half way through a quest or mission for almost any reason (getting scared, bored, irritated, family, career issues, etc).

The person with the skills you need to complete a quest, may already be on that quest, while you are in the city looking for hired help.

Mayday

Augur
Davaris said:
As it is a solo game then keep it in that spirit.

If you recruit someone, they may want payment for every quest or mission, they can flake out half way through a quest or mission for almost any reason (getting scared, bored, irritated, family, career issues, etc).

The person with the skills you need to complete a quest, may already be on that quest, while you are in the city looking for hired help.

yessss, yessssss exccccelent! :thumbsup:

Ummm, BTW, who the hell is this guy? ^^^

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
It's from a very awkward pic somebody posted here long ago:
z7370387X.jpg

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Some gaming "journalist", IIRC.

Anyway, as mondblut said, don't worry about "replayability" too much. Good games will be replayed even if the content is exactly the same - perhaps with some small variations.

saenz

Scholar
Excidium said:
It's from a very awkward pic somebody posted here long ago...

The fact that I never got this reference until today, has been my secret shame as a Kodexer.

I feel liberated in my now perfected submission to the Hivemind.

:thumbsup:

DraQ

Arcane
saenz said:
Excidium said:
It's from a very awkward pic somebody posted here long ago...

The fact that I never got this reference until today, has been my secret shame as a Kodexer.

I feel liberated in my now perfected submission to the Hivemind.

:thumbsup:
In knowing the teachings of the Codex you have grown stronger.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom