Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Silent Storm: 37 Engineering and no lockpicks?

deuxhero

Arcane
I have an engineer with 37 in engineering skill but no lockpicks left and not enough skill (40 required) to use advanced lockpicks. Is there a way to get more or raise my skill? I know I can disable mines, but I've yet to see any oneside the massively mined house.

Norfleet

A bazooka is a universal lockpick. It works on all locked things, including locked doors, locked walls, and locked enemies. Maybe you can find some lockpicks at your base.

laclongquan

Arcane
To train engineer, the base has some locked object, and you can use the cheapest items to pick it: 1level per pic.
Trap the windows with the smallest, cheapest grenades. You will find more than enough. Use the cheapest stuffs in random maps.
Save the good stuff for missions.
Also, only train your engineers.

The use of high level engineer is to throw explosive like nitroglycerins~ They will make very satisfying booms.

EDIT: I forget. Does S2 feature respawn base's supply? If you exhaust engineer items from the base's supply closet and press that refresh button, it will respawn ammo of that campaign's setting (allies' and axis' ammo)

S3 doesnt have that because they are mercenary but S2 we are government's troop, so we have official supply.

deuxhero

Arcane
I know it works for ammo, but haven't gotten it to supply any lockpicks.

Does anyone know what was in the safe in the underground storehouse (the first two part mission)? I picked up a bazooka in the mission's first part, but it didn't scratch it and I didn't have any lockpicks I could use so I left it. Was it anything useful?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
They only add more lockpicks at preset points after certain missions.

I recommend getting that mod that alters skill progression (forget the name), since it's a real problem for engineers in this game due to needing to do really unintuitive things like laclongquan listed, and keep doing it all the time. And then you look at the inactive roster and see absurd skill levels for engineers there (but totally fucked up trait choices).

PS: MG42 is pretty good at opening locked walls too.

deuxhero

Arcane
Got that mod, doesn't help my total lack of lockpicks.

Going to bobby trap/disarm some stuff in random encounters. Plenty of mine probes and low level grenades to blow

Vaarna_Aarne

Disarming mines is also good since you can reuse them, and you should always go as balls-out with explosives as you can due to how much fun and tactically potent destruction of everything you see is.

Though it's kind of annoying when it comes to the goddamn factory is Switzerland, which you blow in half in a glorious display of overkill, and then have to go and bandage some fucking civilian in the ass end of nowhere inside it.

deuxhero

Arcane
I haven't really used explosives beyond grenades to break open doors and kill massed enemies (did use a frag grenade once to kill an enemy coming up the stairs and it took out the stairs), largely because I've been abusing stealth when possible.

laclongquan

Arcane
No need to abuse mod. It's a bit of an woopsie for 1st timer to have messed up lockpicks so it cant be helped.

It's a bit too long so I dont remember correctly. But in Poland there's a few random encounters that provide us with engineer items. One map give doctor items, mostly great bloods. So wander around it to see.

The lockpick maps seems to be a factory location I think~ Not sure.

EDIT: check my note. the supply refresh after certain main campaign missions. engineers and doctors stuffs are obvious, but ammo is not, as they change according to campaign (axis get german/axis ammo). So if you like an axis weapon in an allies campaign, take careful count of ammo and ability to restock it. And vice versa.

On training skills. Game use train-by-use scheme, with levelcap. You can totally raise your skills to current ceiling by training in random missions. Especially engineer skills, since arming windows and doors need a high number of them (just arm, not disarm).

On proficiency. Use much of one class of weapon and you raise familiarity. Like, if you use your kukri much, you will raise its FAMI stat. high stat allow much better damage, hit percent, and crit. So train the new weapons in random mission. Especially your sniper's gun. You wont have much chance to use it much in campaign, so train them outside.

FAMI also divide by class I think. Rifle, SMG, pistol, and heavy machinegun. Knife, throwing weapons. Say, you got your Lee Enfield Fami to 10. Now you want to change to SVT10 scoped, you need to lower LE's FAMI to 0 before SVT10's start to grow. You can use a quickshot carbine rifle to lower FAMI quick and change to SVT to raise, also save on russian ammo.

Last edited:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Machineguns are far less effective at opening locked walls, though.

Machine guns can open floor and wall locks pretty easily, but also - much more safely. I do not recommend picking an inside locked wall or door with a bazooka because the lockpick may cause some collateral damage. Of course, I once lockpicked an entire second story of a house before so if you really need to open that lock, I suggest a lot of mines and other explosively carefully picked and placed wherever the floorplan allows.

Vaarna_Aarne

Machine guns can open floor and wall locks pretty easily, but also - much more safely. I do not recommend picking an inside locked wall or door with a bazooka because the lockpick may cause some collateral damage. Of course, I once lockpicked an entire second story of a house before so if you really need to open that lock, I suggest a lot of mines and other explosively carefully picked and placed wherever the floorplan allows.
But if you do, it's best to be outside of the building that you're lockpicking. Lockpicking a locked floor can have fatal consequences.

Norfleet

Maybe if an enemy is standing on the floor when you open it. That's always nice. I once had some enemies waiting in ambush for me up some stairs, so I unlocked the floor they were standing on.

zlocish

Educated
latest

That should do it.

laclongquan

Arcane
Watchdog should only be used with higher than normal difficulties. Maybe highest.

There's a mod to increase difficulty in S2, but it replace 4 troopers with 4 joke characters from JA2. problem is, the 4 replaced are pretty funny in term of dialog, and the 4 new ones are not equal to replace them. I remember that I didnt use all of them much and feel like losing the old 4 is a big waste~

deuxhero

Arcane
Unlocked the final mission, but it goes black after the loading screen.

Is there a fix or is it time to start (I've actually done the first few missions to make sure it works but whatever) Sentinels?

laclongquan

Arcane
Final mission is that huge stair mission, right? It is pretty buggy due to terrain. Try various method to start it: change party, change weapon load out, delete temp folder...

It's the buggiest because both the terrain and the number of scripts. You actually shouldnt blow the stair and jump down it for fast access because that can mess up your game. And sometimes enemies getting out of the hatches on the way make bugs too.

Perseverance will get you through.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom