Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sickle&Hammer

operf1

Novice
Frst of all, it IS nonlinear. And I mean it. One dialogue, one decision - and you're in totally different branch of the story. Sometimes it's killing of one NPC, sometimes you're limited in time. E.g. when you have learned about new location, you can go for a shopping, get some rest and so on. But don't be surprised that somebody have already taken care of business.

Several endings, different locations and joinable NPCs, and all this is connected by vast number of "if-to" triggers. The bad thing is, single iteration of the story is very short - one weekend at best (and 5 hours if you prefer "kill'em all" style). But it has extreme replayability, that's for sure.

You must choose carefully what to wear. US soldiers and police tend to be suspicious when they see the man in soviet uniform or civilian with machinegun. Different clothes provide different bonuses/penalties to "hide" skill dependig on location - civilian's siut in the city and camo in woods, etc. You can't hide in the daylight or under the lamp, but lamps can be broken :)

As there are no PK's, perk's tree is rebalanced with addition of new perks. Strength is very important now - all items have weight, and encumbered character gets a penalty to his AP during the combat (it's very frustrating when you have collected the loot, left the location and then got a scripted encounter with 0 AP...). All characters have fixed amount of health, and all weapons have increased damage. So a couple of rifle shots or one SMG burst always mean certain death, regardless of character's level. Luckily, this is true for your enemies, too.

One thing that annoys me is the "condition" of weapons. It was frustrating in Sentinels, but now it is ridiculous. One SMG can turn to trash during the single combat, and no repair tools can fix it. And even if you have managed to sustain it in suitable condition, you're already out of ammo and don't have a base with unlimited supplies. "Familiarity" is now distributed among weapon types. E. g. you can be familiar with knife and STAN-gun at one time.

Oh, and the story is solid and interesting. Don't want to give any spoilers, but it's great.

EvoG

Erudite
Erm..it appears you're playing it? I thought this was just announced...is it out in Russia?

Cheers

NeutralMilkHotel

Liturgist
It was just announced for us, it appears it's already been released in russia (or wherever it was made).

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
That sounds excellent. I just hope they tweak a couple of things (weapon degradation sucks) and don't mangle it with the translation or such.

Nival's the company, right? Aren't they developing Heroes of Might and Magic V?

operf1

Novice
Nival is producer for this project. They provided Sillent Storm engine and some support, but developers are independent team. All this started as a mod for SS, and now it is stand-alone game.
For further info visit official site (English version)
http://www.nival.com/hs/

Balor

Arcane
Heh, I'm Russian but still cannot get it! *grubles*
And, so much as I understand, that's all but first CRPG that is both non-random and yet completely nonlinear. (Meaning not just a few optional quests along the way of the main storyline, or different ways to kill a finall boss, but completely different storyline progression depending on your actions).
I wish that they made more discs, though. :(

Balor

Arcane
BTW, a one of the best Russian game sites Ag.ru just reviewed H&S and gave it "Our choice" and 89% mark. Btw, the based on how reviewer (Zombiek, admin of AG.ru himself) described the game, it should have 100%, not 89% mark :). The only downside he wrote about that dialogues are not as expancive as in P:T... but they all have voice-overs.
Here is the link, just in case:
http://www.ag.ru/reviews/3159
May come up with a small translation... if I will find myself interested.

Deacdo

Liturgist
Promising stuff from a modder turned development studio. Nival should have them do more stuff with their engine.

LlamaGod

Cipher
all items have weight, and encumbered character gets a penalty to his AP during the combat

Heh, I remember playing Silent Storm and being a solo sneaky sniper with 30 clips of ammo, 3 machine guns, 2 rifles and a bazooka in my pack.

It sounds pretty good, if there are shortcomings... the good outweighs the bad. As moddable as Silent Storm was, I imagine you can change weapon degradation.

Only thing that might be pesky is all the voice overs. Russian to English translated games with voice overs can be painful.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Well, I won't give a shit about the voice-overs if they have a "turn-off dialouge audio" setting or whatever like the horribly acted Divinity games had.

And if they don't, I'll just turn the music up really loud. :)

operf1

Novice
Well, the voiceover is good in original (wich is rare thing for russian games, I might add). But you can turn it off.
But I don't like the music - ambient is acceptable, but during the combat there is boring heavy metal, that really got on my nerves.

Balor

Arcane
Well, I kinda liked all music, combat and not.
On the other hand, I like heavy metal in general, heh... if, I admit, it did get a bit boring in the end, but same goes to any ambient soundtracks, metal or not - you do tend to get bored if you'll listen to same composition for N'th time.
And yes, the game do kick much ass. Much better then SS and SS:S, too... at has all them merits and almost none of the flaws of the latter + nice storyline and dialogues.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom