Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ship SIM wanted

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
hey,

I was wondering if there exists any kind of good (war)ship simulator. I know about all the Sub games and flight sims but never really heard anything about a ship simulator.

Closest I got to one was I think gunboat and carrier command. Oh and not too lazy to google or look elsewhere, but the codex opinion is just gold.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Deadliest Catch / Alaskan Storm is a lot of fun - it is quite realistic, has good graphics and even some managerial parts. A shame that game was not marketed and patched properly.

I tried to give a heads up in an older thread but it got zero responses :smug: http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic ... f9aabbcd77

There is also a Ship Simulator (in fact wasn't the new version released like 1 or 2 days ago?) but there's not really any gameplay.

EDIT: When I think of it, did you even try Dangerous Waters? http://www.sonalystscombatsims.com/dangerous_waters/

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Thank you that is a quality post you gave there. I will give them a try.

I think that Ship Simulator thing is where you can also play Greenpeace missions or something. lol.

:brofist:

edit: the dangerous waters looks what i've been searching for, but most user made content is for submarines. nevertheless, will see if it exists in some inventory.

Burning Bridges

Yep the Greenpeace game. How p.c. can one get? :smug: Gimme a game where I can ram the Rainbow Warrior, rape the women onboard and get away with it.

Since you're a very polite guy, I try to think of all ship sims that I know of.

Dangerous Waters is a rather misconceived air/sea/sub thing that was built from a much better nuclear subsim (Sub Command).

You may also want to check Enigma Rising Tide but be warned: it's a frustrating arcade game with only the looks of a sim.

If you're fond of fascist DRM there is also Jutland. I nver played it but some people like it. Afaik there exists no crack to disable the phone home requirement.

Then there's that russian game that has quite nice graphics: Ironclads

And finally if you like sailships, there is even a pinnacle in frustration: Age of Sails 2 : Privateers Bounty. A very good game that was never patched up.

Achilles

Arcane
Ship Simulator Extremes is pretty decent actually. It really does feel like you're captaining a huge metal boat and some of the missions are quite interesting. It is slow and it doesn't have any action though, so if you're looking for thrills you should give it a miss.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
PT Boats Knights of the Sea. Insanely difficult because of the scripted missions, but an interesting warship simulator of primarily smaller torpedo boats, but you get to control heavier warships as well.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
And I can pretend to be JFK.

great to see the thread moving on a bit, I was reading up on sub sims but I'll just wait for some more SH4 LP here.

Also I am thinking of getting a board game like 6th fleet or something else in the fleet series, if anyone has some experience with it..

too bad harpoon 4 was cancelled !!

DwarvenFood said:
And I can pretend to be JFK.

great to see the thread moving on a bit, I was reading up on sub sims but I'll just wait for some more SH4 LP here.

Also I am thinking of getting a board game like 6th fleet or something else in the fleet series, if anyone has some experience with it..

too bad harpoon 4 was cancelled !!

I have three of the 'Fleet' games here. Very good games, so long as you can find someone (or more) to play it with who are patient, intelligent and have enough spare time to waste a day a week. This has been my main problem for the past 10+ years; trying to get someone who has enough time to play these huge wargames.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Destroyer Command and PT Boats look like the ones I will try, REAL SHAME that PT Boats does not have multiplayer it would have been excellent i imagine.

Blackadder: what is the difference between the 'fleet' games ? My b-day is coming up and im thinking of asking for one.

Time is always the problem for us "adults" but at least with a board game you can just walk away whenever, as opposed to playing something multiplayer.. AFK = dead..

Not much apart from the theatre, along with differing rules that are either editions to the core rules, or rules specific to the theatre in question.

2nd and 3rd Fleet are my favourites, however they are all very good games, and can be played solitaire if you enjoy that sort of thing. Take a look at them and decide which theatre interests you the most.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I'd like a space sim where you command a large ship, like a carrier or something. Bonus points if your interface is based around the bridge, like in that old Star Trek: Bridge Commander demo I once played.

Burning Bridges

there is Gaea Mission, an upcoming Carrier Command inspired game based on the Arma II engine. It got dizzed by people, but I am still interested in it.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Talking more along the lines of Battlecruiser here. A space sim is more interesting than a sea sim, though I think I need to try the latest Silent Hunter at some point.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
There's always X3: Terran Conflict as a space sim. It's a bit involved, but you can command fleets of ships from your flagship. There are plenty of mods available for it, too. And trading/base building.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom