Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

secret WoW account?

Luzur

Good Sir
today when i got back from work i found a mail from Blizzard in my inbox.

2lk2zkg.jpg

I DO NOT PLAY WOW :x

Renegen

Arcane
I didn't get that (its well done too) but I did get some genuine account activation requests. Apparently someone used my email to setup an account and they wanted me to authenticate it. It was addressed to a "Zheng".

zeitgeist

Magister
Renegen said:
I didn't get that (its well done too) but I did get some genuine account activation requests. Apparently someone used my email to setup an account and they wanted me to authenticate it. It was addressed to a "Zheng".
People have been getting those a lot recently, regardless of ever playing WoW or not. I wonder where they're getting the email addresses from.

Phelot

Arcane
What would be the point of using someone elses email? Don't you have to activate it in order to play?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
phelot said:
What would be the point of using someone elses email? Don't you have to activate it in order to play?

I got one of those too, addressed as "Zheng". I guess the spammers figure if they create 100.000 accounts, someone's bound to be dumb enough to click the link without thinking about it.

Phelot

Arcane
Ulminati said:
phelot said:

I got one of those too, addressed as "Zheng". I guess the spammers figure if they create 100.000 accounts, someone's bound to be dumb enough to click the link without thinking about it.

Oh I see. I thought you meant someone actually registered a WoW character with your email and the email was actually from Blizzard asking for activation. That would be pretty WTF

zeitgeist

Magister
phelot said:
Ulminati said:
phelot said:

Oh I see. I thought you meant someone actually registered a WoW character with your email and the email was actually from Blizzard asking for activation. That would be pretty WTF
But that's exactly what's going on. The email really is from Blizzard, and you get a link to the actual Blizzard site, not a fake phishing site or anything. So they might be counting on a certain percentage of people clicking and activating as Ulminati said, but I can't think of what possible use they could have for an account with someone else's email address (as opposed to an account with their own email address).

Micmu

Magister
blizzard's new marketing eh?
pretending to be phishers but all they want is to push you that blizztard logo

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I get a dozen of those fake blizzard support emails in my hotmail account every day, gmail does a better job blocking this stuff.

Unwanted

Atheist

Unwanted
Shitposter
Oh yeah I got a completely random e-mail from Blizzard as well, don't remember its contents but after googling its contents it turned out it's from a legit address so I'm just gonna say decline of Blizzard.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
My trash box is filled with this and fake Blizzard accounts warning me that my account may have been compromised.

Even if it was I wouldn't care. :smug:

MapMan

Arcane
Interesting fact: Back in the day I played WoW korean beta (that was the only way to play it then) and they keep sending me newsletter to this day. In each issue theres a paragraph about hot female players. They pick 3 hottest girls, post their pics and what characters they play, what realm etc. :thumbsup:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom