Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Second-tier gameplay features in neo-RPGs

Which are least important to you in an RPG?

• romances

• player housing

• mini games

• cutscenes

• voice acting

• eye candy

• over-the-top cosmetic character customization

• crafting/itemization

Results are only viewable after voting.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I would consider eye candy the whole art direction if done right

The issue comes in when weighing priority of art versus gameplay.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The issue comes in when weighing priority of art versus gameplay.

Which RPG has given priority to the art direction over gameplay? Before anyone says anything, Witcher 3 isn't an RPG. Writing, sure, but art direction?

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Itemisation is a vital aspect of any RPG, please don't lump it together with the autistic "deep crafting" modern cRPGs tend to exercise for some inane reason

What is that? Where you craft stuff in your brain?

Bloodlines, FNV, Arx Fatalis, System Shock 2, Mass Effect, FO (talking heads), Arcanum, JA2 are some games where voice acting added drammatically to the game, and helped define it and stand much higher in some cases (whether along or despite the quality of the rest).

Some games are simply meant to be voice acted. These games I can not imagine without.

I have often wondered whether I would enjoy FNV and Underrail more without all the crafting, though.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Bloodlines, FNV, Arx Fatalis, System Shock 2, Mass Effect, FO (talking heads), Arcanum, JA2 are some games where voice acting added drammatically to the game, and helped define it and stand much higher in some cases (whether along or despite the quality of the rest).

Some games are simply meant to be voice acted. These games I can not imagine without.

I have often wondered whether I would enjoy FNV and Underrail more without all the crafting, though.

Voice acting is great (while lip sync isn't worth the investment) but it shouldn't be a priority, only the cherry on top when everything else is right.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
You're right, should have been just crafting

The point is until you polish the core gameplay loop, don't bother with these second-tier features

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom