Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info SCOURGE loosely turn based version released

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: S.C.O.U.R.G.E.: Heroes of Lesser Renown

<b>Gabor</b> sends word that <A href="http://scourge.sourceforge.net/">SCOURGE</a> has hit <A href="http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=98006&package_id=104986&release_id=284211">version 0.7</a>, which revamps the combat system which may have been a little too frantic in previous versions. Here's a list of the changes:
<br>
<br>
<ul><b>Changes:</b>
<br>
<li>More/higher level creatures.
<br>
<li>Move minimap to a window
<br>
<li>Multiple layouts in GUI. Create a border for the map.
<br>
<li>Misc. ui enhancements: texture for buttons, progress bars, etc.
<br>
<li>Keyboard control (focus selection, target window selection) in gui (this is needed for text input widget.)
<br>
<li>Re-architect code for network play. (aka. secret project. Be able to run a headless server/client.)
<br>
<li>SDL_net client/server code and beginnings of multiplayer protocol.
<br>
<li><u>All-new combat system is loosely turn-based (optionally real-time)</u>
<br>
<li>Creature speeds (incl. players; Make battles slower)
<br>
<li>Projectiles should fire anyway if move away from target cannot be made (To prevent wasting time moving around.)
<br>
<br>
<b>Bug fixes:</b>
<br>
<li>Occasional segfault in map destructor
<br>
<li>Players offended by girlie-man selection color... (changed to purple)
<br>
<li>Fix mainmenu: check for misaligned push/pop matrix ops, fix config window popping in back, etc.
<br>
<li>Fix windows problems: font corruption, mystery-crash in full-screen mode, etc.
<br>
<li>Fix slowness when running with stencil buffer off</ul>
<br>
<br>
Hey, network play. Nifty!
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>Gabor</b>!
<br>

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
All-new combat system is loosely turn-based (optionally real-time)
Uh, call me stupid but how can something be "loosely turn-based"? I mean isn't those things kinda definitive? Either it is or it's not, like? :roll:

Is it realtime with pause or something? :lol:

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
Locue said:
All-new combat system is loosely turn-based (optionally real-time)
Uh, call me stupid but how can something be "loosely turn-based"? I mean isn't those things kinda definitive? Either it is or it's not, like? :roll:

Is it realtime with pause or something? :lol:

from RPG Codex interview:

6. What are you plans for the TB combat system? How in-depth and tactical is it going to be? What successful TB implementations are you looking at for inspiration?

This is what I'm working on currently, so a lot of this may change still in the near future. What I'm hoping to accomplish is a loosely turn-based system. Basically, you won't have control over every step a character makes, you will only make suggestions on whom to attack, where to go, etc. The movement path is still determined by the AI algorithm just like when moving around. (This is likely to change if the fans vote it down.) Combat will pause for every player's turn, with the option to turn this feature off. In this case the game becomes a "turn-at-a-time real-time" system. When not in combat mode, the party moves around in real-time, like before.

Fallout was an rpg that implemented a similar system. In fact S.C.O.U.R.G.E. also uses an "action points"-based system. (Each time a character moves or attacks, AP-s are used up.) But since AP-s are rare and precious, having the computer decide on a movement path (and possibly waste points) may be too much for some users. Ideally (and if time permits) there would be 3 settings for combat: TB, loose TB and RT. In strict TB mode each step a character takes would be controlled by the human player.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom