Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Scathing DNF review at Gamespot

Marobug

Also facepalm @ gamespot for having a gay person review a duke nukem game. That considered, a 3.5 score was more than expected.

As for the game itself it's ok imo. I've actually had more fun playing this than most call of duty and other modern fps games I see getting 90+ scores despite being clones of each other.
Also it's not that different from dn3d which was awesome for the time, and that's perhaps it's biggest problem because it's not exactly a game that aged very well, even if it's still rather fun.
Considered the clusterfuck that was the game's development course, I was actually pleasantly surprised with the final product, I hope they make a new duke nukem game, in less than 10 years preferably.

Edward_R_Murrow said:
From a gameplay perspective its major sin, as you may have guessed, is how dated it feels. Want the experience of playing DNF without shelling out $60? Load up an HD remake of Doom or Serious Sam on Xbox Live Arcade/PSN. Shooter design has come a long way from the loose, unsculpted levels and messy gunplay of the early days, and yet that's exactly what you get in DNF.

Lol no fuckhead. Doom and Serious Sam are miles ahead in terms of design when compared with modern shooters despite the fact that they may be a little rough around the edges (Sam more so than Doom; but mostly due to budget constraints). Duke Nukem Forever takes all the worst parts of modern ones...that's why it is terrible.

Yes, this is some of the most annoying shit I've heard. You just know that these guys have never played a shooter more than 5 years old and not on a console.

Marobug

Jaesun said:
Marobug said:
Also facepalm @ gamespot for having a gay person review a duke nukem game.

They what?

Kevin VanOrd, the dude who wrote the review for duke nukem is openly homosexual. He was also involved in a wacky incident in the neogaf forums where he publicly posted a picture of his dick. Apparently it was supposed to be a PM for his boyfriend who was another member of the forum but instead posted it as a new topic by mistake. All this happened before he was hired by gamespot, and I suspect they had no idea who they were hiring.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Marobug said:
Jaesun said:
Marobug said:

They what?

Kevin VanOrd, the dude who wrote the review for duke nukem is openly homosexual. He was also involved in a wacky incident in the neogaf forums where he publicly posted a picture of his dick. Apparently it was supposed to be a PM for his boyfriend who was another member of the forum but instead posted it as a new topic by mistake. All this happened before he was hired by gamespot, and I suspect they had no idea who they were hiring.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Why the fuck would a faggot be reviewing this? Maybe gamespot does still does enjoy a bit of trolling.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Marobug said:
Also it's not that different from dn3d which was awesome for the time

DN3D did a lot of things better, not the least of all the maps.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
cad-20110613-2a6e0.png

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Marobug said:
Also facepalm @ gamespot for having a gay person review a duke nukem game. That considered, a 3.5 score was more than expected.
I really don't see the issue. Duke Nukem is a parody of oversexed, hyper-masculine action-hero stereotypes of the 80s (and if he's the kind of guy who's into that sort of thing, well, he's probably even better-equipped to comment on Duke as a character). Sure, if you're gay you won't get anything out of the game's "sex appeal", but I think anyone with half a brain can see through how fucking transparent that sort of pandering that is, regardless of sexual orientation.

Angthoron

Arcane
sea said:
Marobug said:
I really don't see the issue. Duke Nukem is a parody of oversexed, hyper-masculine action-hero stereotypes of the 80s (and if he's the kind of guy who's into that sort of thing, well, he's probably even better-equipped to comment on Duke as a character). Sure, if you're gay you won't get anything out of the game's "sex appeal", but I think anyone with half a brain can see through how fucking transparent that sort of pandering that is, regardless of sexual orientation.

Yeah, I don't really see an issue with this, as long as the reviewer doesn't approach it in the "As a gay person, I am offended by..." fashion. Hell, some gay folk might even have a hard-on for Duke's persona.

Excidium said:
What a shitty strip

This.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Jaesun said:
Marobug said:
Jaesun said:
Marobug said:

They what?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Why the fuck would a faggot be reviewing this? Maybe gamespot does still does enjoy a bit of trolling.

... :retarded: So....'review is shit, reviewer is a faggot' is valid here?

Marobug

It's easy to see why a gay person would find the game more offensive and less appealing and funny than other people. I mean you just have to go through the game to understand what I'm talking about, not saying it would mean a huge change in the score but given all the macho and misogynistic stuff in it you can safely say it's not a game for gay people.

JaySn

Educated
Blowjob? No, they were tying Duke's shoes.

That was an unpleasant 40 minutes of my life. Can't even kick or punch stuff for the majority of it. The most interaction with your environments involve opening doors, turning on or off lights, and running the taps.

Resolution of textures is inconsistent.

Plenty of NPCs that just ignore you.

Why would Duke take the little twerps' photo instead of grab him by the neck and toss his ass off the seat?

Why does the second overlord just stand there while level his bro?

And there seem to be no secrets what so ever, or so noclip has lead me to believe.

A great deal of reuse: posters, snack machines, .etc

Le sigh.

. . . Fallout 3 is a better FPS.

Though, some good things: The Duke Cave with throne access, a good idea? . . . Okay. One thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom