Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SC2, Blizzard eployee explains why you can't name games.

Kraszu

Prophet
The problem here is that it needlessly complicates the process. In SC, I liked to play dozens of custom maps a day, including frequently several new ones I had never heard of before.

On first sight it might seem that way, but I still believe that having simply a random name might not be the best way to handle it. Also keep in mind, that the target of the game is not only the hard-core players that have been around since SC:BW and are used to the scene. Yes, we do want to cater to the casual player as well. Too many options could make the whole process of getting into a custom game seem very complicated and might frighten off those who are not as game-savy as most of you probably are.
Also a factor that you might think is a non-issue but that I feel is important is that we do want the game to have a 12+ rating in some regions. So game names might not totally be in sync with that. Last but not least - game names will appear in all different languages. The game mixes all our European countries on one server. Now if you see Polish mixed with German, Swedish, Spanish, French, Italian, Russian and all other languages and you wouldn't be able to understand half of those, it might be quite confusing as well and won't help the visibility a lot. Whereas in the current system, everyone will be mainly presented with their own language or English.

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?to ... geNo=6#115

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
They should DEFINITELY do something to weaken the influence of hardcore gamers. In this game? People played it for years and years, it would not be fun to simply join now.

Kraszu

Prophet
Malakal said:
They should DEFINITELY do something to weaken the influence of hardcore gamers. In this game? People played it for years and years, it would not be fun to simply join now.

No you misunderstand, naming games is just too complex for casuals so it can't be implemented.:
"Too many options could make the whole process of getting into a custom game seem very complicated and might frighten off those who are not as game-savy as most of you probably are. "

Anyway I am not sure if you are just trolling, but there will be 100 to 1 ratio if not more of new players to old ones so there is no other problems.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
No, I wrote what I wanted to write. They SHOULD do something to level the playing field but this is NOT the way they should go.

This is just retarded.

Kraszu

Prophet
Malakal said:
No, I wrote what I wanted to write. They SHOULD do something to level the playing field but this is NOT the way they should go.

Better players will go up in ladder fast so people will play against others of similar skill. Simply the numbers of old players will level the player field, they don't have to do anything.

MapMan

Arcane
OH GOD THERES THIS CHOOSE MAP THINGY NOT TO MENTION ENTER NAME WAT DO I DO I AM CONFUSE

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I remember playing Halo 3 online, where you couldn't even choose what map or I think even game type you wanted to play. What the fuck was that. It should have at least given you the option of never joining Sandtrap Covies

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Why is it so hard to actually give gamers what they want? I have no interest in SC2 multiplayer, but this control-freak attitude from Blizzard is annoying me out of principle. They should look to Valve for how to run a multiplayer service.

No doubt SC2 will be a huge success, but I doubt it will have the same lasting appeal as the original.

Destroid

Arcane
Not to mention... for the people who find it too difficult to enter custom games with custom names there is the auto matching service which 90% of people will use anyway.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So they are targeting the illiterate RTS gamers.

Clever girl...clever ahhrgh....

Angthoron

Arcane
After witnessing the unwashed illiterate masses of World of Warcraft player base, I can confirm that Blizzard knows the player base well.

relootz

Scholar
This is a non-issue for me. You just need to have the name of your opponent, which you can always find in tournament and then you can just invite him to a game, or you can join a game that a friend has created yourself.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, in WC3, players ignored the "no noobs" / "only noobs" / "only german/swedish/whatever" written in the custom game titles anyway, so I really don't think it is that bad that you can't write them anymore...

Also, was that WC3 or or C&C:Generals where the word "Salami" got censored? Damn, that was fun :)

edit:
Oh, I just looked at urban dict. So "salami" does have meanings that are not sausage...

Kraszu

Prophet
thesheeep said:
Well, in WC3, players ignored the "no noobs" / "only noobs" / "only german/swedish/whatever" written in the custom game titles anyway, so I really don't think it is that bad that you can't write them anymore...

It was important for some UMS, also the way that you choose UMS now is ridiculous you have list of all UMS based on popularity so it is practically impossible to play UMS that is on 20 page or so, and there is no list with created games now.

It was also much more convenient in BN 1.0 where you just created a channel or you had joined some channel, and you could give name/pass there so everybody could see it, having to add everybody that you want to play against/with to friend list is ridiculous.

relootz

Scholar
Yes thats true, the fact that there are no channels is inexcusable.

Destroid

Arcane
Every game is getting dumbed down to one click gaming with no server browsers.

It's already happened to most RTS games, FPS is working on it (no dedicated servers). It's really shit.

Kraszu

Prophet
relootz said:
Yes thats true, the fact that there are no channels is inexcusable.

And if you had channels they you would want ability to name games, and make password games. When you are on the channel, and there are people that want to play game together then you can add all the people to friend list or say the game name, and create it. What is better, and why? Discuss.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom