Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryl: Path of the Emperor

malhovic

Novice
Has anyone played/heard anything about this game. I have seen it in the stores, but I don't know if it is any good...comments?

Sarvis

Erudite
You're asking the Codex if a game is good? I know you're new, but you've gotta realize by now that NOTHING is good by Codex standards. :P (Except Fallout of course.)

malhovic

Novice
Well I have looked around for things on Ryl and so far I hear that it really does SUCK.

Anyways, as to the mentality of Codex, it doesn't exist. I really don't know why they call themselves an RPG or an MMORPG forum as all of the games that they like are basically older RPG's and/or text based games.

Codex members that go with the "Codex Way" definately do not know their asses from a hole in the ground considering the fact that, yeah, everyone can bash a game...and not everyone will like a game, but just because gaming styles are different they frown upon it. From what I have seen, there is not a newer game out there that Codex users would like. I am surprised that they didn't waste out DS2 considering it is a good game but not the best.

What surprises me the most is the fact that they all complain about a game being "too open, bland, not linear." If you really think about it, a LINEAR GAME IS MADE TO BE BASIC FOR SIMPLE MINDED PEOPLE THAT JUST WANT TO PLAY A GAME!!!

I have times when I want to just play a game where I go from point A to B and then when done at B, go to C and so on and so forth. But then there are other times when I would like to do what I want in a game. Things like MMORPG's do that since you are able to play where you want when you want, how you want.

What surprises me is that the Codex doesn't like games that are open since they act like they are SO intelligent, yet by far, they are not.

For instance, the thread about the compass that is going to be in Oblivion...tell me one thing Codex, what is the first thing that you do when you apply for a job? Find out what it is about and where it is at. Now how do you find out where it is at? Either a telephone book (with an address) or you call the place and ask for directions. Most games that are doing the openendedness are games that are being real. You find things when you travel in life and you become accostomed to an area meaning you know the area and possibly some of its inhabitants. Now with that, the games are doing the same thing. You will walk around a town, get to know it and then, therefore, be able to go back and know where to find things...JUST LIKE REAL LIFE!

BTW, I love ranting but back on topic now!

So basically, what it comes down to, Codex is a place for people that have either no life or just like to "bring it down on people." That is basically it. The members that you see here with a ton of posts are basically loud mouths who want to let everyone know their moronic opinion. If it were in the real world here, half of you would be fuckin grass considering your attitudes. I am surprised that you guys can make it in life, it really does surprise me!

Sarvis

Erudite
malhovic said:
What surprises me the most is the fact that they all complain about a game being "too open, bland, not linear." If you really think about it, a LINEAR GAME IS MADE TO BE BASIC FOR SIMPLE MINDED PEOPLE THAT JUST WANT TO PLAY A GAME!!!

Actually, Codexers want non-linearity. That's what they love about Fallout.

Which is part of why I don't really get their complaints about Morrowind. I guess it's that things don't react intelligently to what they do or something... but I haven't played Morrowind so I can't really say...

So basically, what it comes down to, Codex is a place for people that have either no life or just like to "bring it down on people." That is basically it. The members that you see here with a ton of posts are basically loud mouths who want to let everyone know their moronic opinion.

Hey, I am not! Oh... wait... :blush:

If it were in the real world here, half of you would be fuckin grass considering your attitudes. I am surprised that you guys can make it in life, it really does surprise me!

I dunno, I do ok...

Tiliqua

Liturgist
A lot of Codex members like Eve.

I think it's useful to have a group of people deconstruct rpgs, it's got the potential to be a great genre but atm there's very few great rpgs out there, that's not the fault of this forum.

obediah

Erudite
malhovic said:

Yeah and so? Do you bitch about the phone company when you can't find your phone number in the yellow pages? There are places on the web for people to talk about good linear games. This is a place to talk about a particular itch that some RPGs scratch.

I have times when I want to just play a game where I go from point A to B and then when done at B, go to C and so on and so forth. But then there are other times when I would like to do what I want in a game. Things like MMORPG's do that since you are able to play where you want when you want, how you want.

There have been plenty of discussions here about non-linearity vs open-endedness and freedom vs. compelling options. MMORPGS generally get two thumbs up on the open-endedness and freedom, but two thumbs down on compelling options and non-linearity (there are parallel tracks, but not significant branching). The only real characters you can roleplay in MMORPGS are explorers, FedEx wannabes, and the defender "For the next 5 lvls I will defend this tree from all orcs conning green to yellow".
MMORPGS have their strengths, but those strengths don't line up with the general codex interests, so we don't talk about them much.

What surprises me is that the Codex doesn't like games that are open since they act like they are SO intelligent, yet by far, they are not.

It's great that this paragraph is followed by the following incoherent blob.

For instance, the thread about the compass that is going to be in Oblivion...tell me one thing Codex, what is the first thing that you do when you apply for a job? Find out what it is about and where it is at. Now how do you find out where it is at? Either a telephone book (with an address) or you call the place and ask for directions. Most games that are doing the openendedness are games that are being real. You find things when you travel in life and you become accostomed to an area meaning you know the area and possibly some of its inhabitants. Now with that, the games are doing the same thing. You will walk around a town, get to know it and then, therefore, be able to go back and know where to find things...JUST LIKE REAL LIFE!

I get your description of real life, but I fail to see how it's the same as real life. Your real life description sounds closer to morrowind or other games where you feel out a town and introduce yourself to people to find out who they are.

BTW, I love ranting but back on topic now!

Is it a rant if no one can understand what you're bitching about?

LlamaGod

Cipher
There is no Codex mentality, most of us have alot of different tastes with some common RPG games that we like, but not always.

The only people that claim there to be a CODEX MENTALITY are just shitheads who got their favorite game bashed and cant take it. So instead they just go HURRRHURRR CLOSE MINDED HIVE MIND IM STILL BETTER THEN YOU OKAY

Shagnak

Shagadelic
llamadingdong: Agreed
[fucken mr daniels is myfriend. go home and kiss yur cat. pooper: smelling yur dads farts is okay as long as you dont matibate over it]
[damn. just red my footer]

malhovic

Novice
LlamaGod said:
There is no Codex mentality, most of us have alot of different tastes with some common RPG games that we like, but not always.

The only people that claim there to be a CODEX MENTALITY are just shitheads who got their favorite game bashed and cant take it. So instead they just go HURRRHURRR CLOSE MINDED HIVE MIND IM STILL BETTER THEN YOU OKAY

I love your horrible reference. This is not on basis of a favorite game bashing or anything, this is just stating fact, and the fact being (mind you, one that you just proved) that you all feel the need to hop on and go for a ride of bashing and just being fucking moronic as a whole. Maybe take 3 steps back from your over-ego'd self to take a quick evaluation. You'll soon realise that you are basically a knowledgeless POS that really doesn't deserve to be breathing precious air that could be used by others in the world that actually have a meaning in life.

DarkSign

Erudite
Saying there might be a forum concensus is different from characterizing it as "The Codex Mentality" with all the totalitarian and elitist connotations that has.

If you actually lurked and read some posts, we have CRAZY debates where veteran posters who agree on some threads say "Man, I thought I knew you..." and blast each other.

At the end of the day we arent calling for these programmers to lose a limb (well maybe Herve) but we love what we love and arent going to be wishy-washy about it.

Yes there are some trends as to what people like here...thats to be expected over time. But your insulting post loses any credibility from word one.

Must suck that you mom is TubGirl.

Sarvis

Erudite
DarkSign said:
Saying there might be a forum concensus is different from characterizing it as "The Codex Mentality" with all the totalitarian and elitist connotations that has.

If you actually lurked and read some posts, we have CRAZY debates where veteran posters who agree on some threads say "Man, I thought I knew you..." and blast each other.

At the end of the day we arent calling for these programmers to lose a limb (well maybe Herve) but we love what we love and arent going to be wishy-washy about it.

Yes there are some trends as to what people like here...thats to be expected over time. But your insulting post loses any credibility from word one.

Must suck that you mom is TubGirl.

You guys like to think there's no hive mentality around here, but any timecertain subjects are brought up you all rally around and beat down the poster. NWN, Morrowind, Final Fantasy. You only argue amongst yourselves when no one else is around... thought you do your best to keep people away by labeling anyone who actually thinks differently than you.

Just arguing amongst yourselves doesn't disprove that there is a hive mentality to this place, most people argue with themselves in their head all the time!

LlamaGod

Cipher
malhovic said:
LlamaGod said:

I love your horrible reference. This is not on basis of a favorite game bashing or anything, this is just stating fact, and the fact being (mind you, one that you just proved) that you all feel the need to hop on and go for a ride of bashing and just being fucking moronic as a whole. Maybe take 3 steps back from your over-ego'd self to take a quick evaluation. You'll soon realise that you are basically a knowledgeless POS that really doesn't deserve to be breathing precious air that could be used by others in the world that actually have a meaning in life.

So which game do you like that we made fun of, now?

caveyboy

Scholar
hi ...
ankh-icon.gif

you are new...hi...

Second Chance

Liturgist
Sarvis said:
You're asking the Codex if a game is good? I know you're new, but you've gotta realize by now that NOTHING is good by Codex standards. :P (Except Fallout of course.)

I still have to understand how people can idolatrize such a banal game like Fallout. Were you born in the 90s and never played the classics or do you simply like games that can be finished in 3 hours?

Second Chance

Liturgist
Sarvis said:
malhovic said:

Actually, Codexers want non-linearity. That's what they love about Fallout.

If people love a linear game like Fallout because of its non-linearity, I can't imagine what they'd think about a really non-linear game like Darklands. Open a shrine maybe?

Before you ask, I finished Fallout. Twice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom