Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rule The Waves 3: NWS partners with Matrix Games to publish their grand fleet management game: Now in beta testing

Beastro

Arcane
Dranchinfel has an introduction video out. Good to see what's new for those still mulling over buying it:

Interesting seeing what's expanded upon, like the positioning of secondaries and adding engine types like VTEs and turbines.

I'm chewing through an RN game right now in RTW2 and will grab it when done. Just hope a few mods are out like "no aircraft" by then.

Beastro

Arcane
Aurora 4x but on water.
If only.

This game badly needs to ditch the randomly generated battle system (that's fixed to only a handful of battle locations per region) and switch to one where squadrons and fleets can run into each other.

It ruins the fun having your 8th fleet battle with Germany off Texel or with the US off Eastern Maine.

Last edited:

None

Scholar
Got this a while back, waiting to build up the patience to sit down and figure it out. How straightforward is playing it? By that I mean can I sit down and figure it out by playing and reading the manual, or do I have to visit some third party to learn about esoterics? Unity of Command 2 was like that before it had a proper manual.

Beastro

Arcane
Got this a while back, waiting to build up the patience to sit down and figure it out. How straightforward is playing it? By that I mean can I sit down and figure it out by playing and reading the manual, or do I have to visit some third party to learn about esoterics? Unity of Command 2 was like that before it had a proper manual.
Third party, but that's oddly half the fun. Sitting down and learning as you play is a big part of the fun.

The manual for the previous two games has information but there's so much to the game that they leave a lot untouched upon for you to discover.

It's very much a series that is helped by knowing thr naval history of the era (and as such is a great education tool if you don't but have the patience to learn alongside of playing it).

For instance, there is no mention about the benefits of an all-forwarded gun lay out in the manual and the massive weight savings you get from it (see what I mean here: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/20/f0/31/20f031ed3c59d5c441b24ebdaf9b980d.jpg) which are in the game. If you knew nothing about all forward armament you'd only discover that through design experimentation or learning about ship design out of game and trying to replicate the Nelsons or Richelieus.

Same goes for the only mention of Unit Machinery being what is brought up by its selection box in the ship design screen (and only then when researched). In that case, you need to know of how how the shift in the 1920s and 30s to it resulted in isolating boilers and engines into their own compartments to prevent a single hit from KOing the whole engine room and leaving the ship dead in the water.

In game, this is major for destroyers as their small size and lack of armour result in them being frequently knocked out and left helpless if you don't check that box. As such, you can have more DDs live after making torpedo attacks by being better able to limp away rather than winding up like Wiesbaden at Jutland, caught between your side and the enemy's, a floating target for every passing enemy warship to take pot shots at.

When I bought RTW2 I wanted to know if there was more to Unit Machinery described in the manual, but there was nothing. I learned more about it reading up about the first RN destroyer class that introduced it elsewhere.

Even then there are many things kept under the hood of the game for a reason to introduce vagueness into the combat.

None

Scholar
So one screen with RTW3 and the other with Wikipedia or some naval nerd encyclopedia open. Sounds more or less like what I wanted from the game.

Beastro

Arcane
How's this comparing to RTW2 so far?

Looking at the forums, it seems the aircraft spam has been replaced by missile spam with missiles making aircraft all but useless after the late 50s, battle distances aren't changed so you start right by the enemy in later fights that open with devastating launches, tons more restrictive rules on designs (can't make 2 triple turreted battleships in the 20s, only 2 quads allowed BS when many of the designs that led to the N3 had 2 triples), then there's a few bugs still kicking about that are bad.

Seems less mods still, like a fav of mine in 2 where all nations start with historical fleets that I honestly couldn't play without now, though the better gun mod for 3 seems nice.

I was planning on finishing this game of RTW2 I'm chipping away at and buying 3 for my next one, but now I'm not so certain.

Anyone playing 3 willing to chime in?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom