Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline RPG Codex's Best RPGs - 2024 - VOTING IS CLOSED

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
That's an amazing shift. There's still the occasional travesty in there because of retards, and the list really starts to get stretched thin on that last line, but overall an order of magnitude better than 2019 at least.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
OK, the numbers I'm leaning towards now are 70+14. I think that's a good balance of exclusivity + showcasing more good games. I like that it mirrors 2014's top 70, that it has fewer total games than 2019 (which dipped into some shit-tier stuff for the sake of a meme), and my autism is satisfied by 70 being evenly divisible by 14.

Here's a crude mockup I made to show what the collage might look like (inspired by 2019's collage here: https://rpgcodex.net/gallery/16928.jpg).

View attachment 49338

That is a lot of work to make sure Skyrim doesn't get included. The fix is in. Nier, Pillars 2? Really? No Grimoire in hidden gems. No way. 75/25

Butter

Arcane
Patron
That is a lot of work to make sure Skyrim doesn't get included. The fix is in. Nier, Pillars 2? Really?
Nier and Pillars 2 are tied at 63. You could knock those out and do top 62 and Skyrim is still excluded. It's no trouble.

Shaki

Arbiter
At at glance, this list looks off. Quite a significant shift from the last one. For example, in a list of 101, D:OS and D:OS 2 placed #30 and #31 for greatest all time CRPGs. Now they're not even ranked.

This was actually completely expected. I talked about it in relation to BG3 before, saying that people will completely forget about it, as soon as they next big thing from Larian hits, same way they immediately forgot about DOS 1/2 the moment BG3 dropped, despite previously bringing them up constantly as teh pinnacle of RPG.

Larian fanboys are mainstream brained normies, who only follow the current big thing from their fav brand. As soon as new big thing drops, older ones are forgotten. These are not games someone will replay for years, or remember in a decade as classics. Shills only shill for them because their consoomer brains are wired to eat the PR shit and shill for the new big thing. As soon as shills move on to new titles, nuLarian games will keep consistently dropping out of all the top lists and getting forgotten.

Fink

Educated
At at glance, this list looks off. Quite a significant shift from the last one. For example, in a list of 101, D:OS and D:OS 2 placed #30 and #31 for greatest all time CRPGs. Now they're not even ranked. I would expect far more consistency out of a GOAT list. This one isn't awful, but it seems a bit off. I'm not just projecting biases either. Consider Pillars of Eternity. I have a pretty low opinion of that game, but it previously ranked #45 out of 101 GOAT. Now it's just gone. That's a massive shift. Then consider Diablo & Diablo 2. Previously D2 was 6 ranks above D1, but is now 16 ranks behind D1. Very inconsistent. I don't like it. We've got a problem with our sample pool, I think.
What would be the point if it was the same list?

Tastes and trends change over time, that's part of the point of doing another list after five years (alongside factoring in new releases)

Fink I don't expect the list to be static, but I expect GOAT to evolve slowly. Two games being in the top 1/3 now vanishing merely 5 years later is not a good sign. Diablo 2 shifting 24 ranks lower to its prior position relative to D1 is not a good sign for a GOAT list. It suggest we have major sample size and/or quality problems.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Fink I don't expect the list to be static, but I expect GOAT to evolve slowly. Two games being in the top 1/3 now vanishing merely 5 years later is not a good sign. Diablo 2 shifting 24 ranks lower to its prior position relative to D1 is not a good sign for a GOAT list. It suggest we have major sample size and/or quality problems.
Sample size on this poll was somewhat lower than 2019. There's not a lot I can do about that. I even extended the voting period by a week. Disparities could be caused by the different voting method; the points system generally meant fewer ties, but it also meant a single person could vote for as many as 25 different games. However the userbase for RPG Codex isn't static from year to year. People come and go. Frankly, it's a wonder the top of the list has changed so little.

Fink

Educated
5 years is a long time in the world of video games (we went from DOOM to Half-Life in 5 years), plenty of time for the public opinion to change. Plenty of time for oldfags to stop posting and newfags with different opinions to start. Also consider things like the fact that people who voted for D:OS five years ago may use their vote for BG3 now. Between the 2014 and 2019 polls, ToEE dropped down the list 20 places. It happens.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
my autism is satisfied by 70 being evenly divisible by 14

Nier and Pillars 2 are tied at 63. You could knock those out and do top 62 and Skyrim is still excluded. It's no trouble.

I was talking about 70 being divisible by 14 as being the fix for keeping Skyrim out. Then, taking another gander at the list and realizing games like Nier and Pillars 2 are making it in.
As for 75/25 (the other autist choice) at least Grimoire would make the cut for hidden gems.

behold_a_man

Educated
These are not games someone will replay for years, or remember in a decade as classics. Shills only shill for them because their consoomer brains are wired to eat the PR shit and shill for the new big thing.
Is that so? It's not like the new list has a lot of games with better combat system than Original Sin 1 (though admittedly, it's hard to have worse itemization). And there were interesting solutions for exploration like pyramids copied from Divine Divinity along with teleportation spell that could be used on items, enemies, or allies, all for completely different purposes, or spells changing the environment of the battlefield. The game was completely non-linear, with the ability to circumvent the entire plot, which is not often found, but I would expect it to be appreciated here. How many games on this new list have so much interactivity blended with at least solid combat system and some non-linearity?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
OK, the numbers I'm leaning towards now are 70+14. I think that's a good balance of exclusivity + showcasing more good games. I like that it mirrors 2014's top 70, that it has fewer total games than 2019 (which dipped into some shit-tier stuff for the sake of a meme), and my autism is satisfied by 70 being evenly divisible by 14.

Here's a crude mockup I made to show what the collage might look like (inspired by 2019's collage here: https://rpgcodex.net/gallery/16928.jpg).

View attachment 49338
Probably not worth the effort, but to make the list more 'robust' we could have round 2 in which we use the 'dex voting system for GotY and let dexers vote 1-5 for each of these games on the above list then calculate bayesian average. This could still shuffle it a little bit.

That said, this is plenty of effort and personally I am too lazy as well, and it would mostly affect titles in the mid/low tier, not sure how useful it would be.

At at glance, this list looks off. Quite a significant shift from the last one. For example, in a list of 101, D:OS and D:OS 2 placed #30 and #31 for greatest all time CRPGs. Now they're not even ranked. I would expect far more consistency out of a GOAT list. This one isn't awful, but it seems a bit off. I'm not just projecting biases either. Consider Pillars of Eternity. I have a pretty low opinion of that game, but it previously ranked #45 out of 101 GOAT. Now it's just gone. That's a massive shift. Then consider Diablo & Diablo 2. Previously D2 was 6 ranks above D1, but is now 16 ranks behind D1. Very inconsistent. I don't like it. We've got a problem with our sample pool, I think.
There is a smaller sample, but I doubt that is the reason, rather:
- some people just voted for the new shit being charmed by recent playthrough and realized the games weren't that fun later.
- there was a significant change in community members. 5 years is a lot for an internet forum. Plenty of people left (including for RPGHQ), plenty of people came - especially around corona lockdowns. This had to impact results.
At at glance, this list looks off. Quite a significant shift from the last one. For example, in a list of 101, D:OS and D:OS 2 placed #30 and #31 for greatest all time CRPGs. Now they're not even ranked.

This was actually completely expected. I talked about it in relation to BG3 before, saying that people will completely forget about it, as soon as they next big thing from Larian hits, same way they immediately forgot about DOS 1/2 the moment BG3 dropped, despite previously bringing them up constantly as teh pinnacle of RPG.

Larian fanboys are mainstream brained normies, who only follow the current big thing from their fav brand. As soon as new big thing drops, older ones are forgotten. These are not games someone will replay for years, or remember in a decade as classics. Shills only shill for them because their consoomer brains are wired to eat the PR shit and shill for the new big thing. As soon as shills move on to new titles, nuLarian games will keep consistently dropping out of all the top lists and getting forgotten.
Real Larian chadboys like me enjoy their games without sucking up to them and pretending they are best games ever. If we were to vote top 30 RPGs instead of top 10 I'd certainly put the first DOS and BG3 on it. But top 10? Couldn't put any of them there with a straight face.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Then consider Diablo & Diablo 2. Previously D2 was 6 ranks above D1, but is now 16 ranks behind D1. Very inconsistent. I don't like it. We've got a problem with our sample pool, I think.
The very ugly character models of D2 Resurrected (at least the Paladin and the Amazon) probably contributed to this shift.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So, how about a list of 70 best RPGs (this way there's no Skyrim on the list) + 30 hidden gems (but excluding the games that found their way into the main ranks). This would give us a 100 games overall.

If a game manages to get into top 70 RPGs ever, it should be disqualified from the hidden gems anyway, because it's obviously known and popular.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron

Here you go:

GetVUK5.jpeg

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

images

codex.png

afbeelding.png

afbeelding.png

afbeelding.png

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Here you go:
maybe put this one for Prelude to Darkness?

Pyrrhic_Tales_Prelude_to_Darkness_cover.png

I'd do it myself, but I'm on a phone right now

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron

I'd do it myself, but I'm on a phone right nowIs that like the actual cover they were gonna use?

Is that like legit the cover they were gonna use? It looks like something put together in two minutes with like 2 assets from their website...

Butter

Arcane
Patron

Here you go:

GetVUK5.jpeg
This is great. Only I would either center the Hidden Gems section (or put it more off-center left so there's room for the little RPG Codex dude in the bottom right), and I would leave a little gap in between it and the Top RPGs so it's more clear that they're separate.

2024_rpg_codex_list_collage.jpg

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron

I'd do it myself, but I'm on a phone right nowIs that like the actual cover they were gonna use?

Is that like legit the cover they were gonna use? It looks like something put together in two minutes with like 2 assets from their website...
nah, it's just from here: https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Pyrrhic_Tales:_Prelude_to_Darkness

i am not aware of a legit 'box' image for PtD. But... anything is better than nothing, I guess.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
That's an amazing shift. There's still the occasional travesty in there because of retards, and the list really starts to get stretched thin on that last line, but overall an order of magnitude better than 2019 at least.

Best list I ever saw on this website tbh

Well done Butter ure fired felipepepe

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom