Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Vendetta - Curse of Raven's Cry

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
now that thx to certain song i know id be buying it at some point and red properly into review I have some questions around ship:

is it linear progression where there is clear bigger = better? Or can I be like han solo or in star traders where small ship can be hard but still viable.
Likewise am I forced into big ship and big cargo space or can I focus on other activities than mercantile

No, bigger ship is no always better. There are ships that trade military capabilities for swiftness and maneuverability. You don't always have to buy man-o-war to finish the game. Besides, for the final mission you receive a proper warship anyway.

However, you need to leave your schooner behind as soon as possible - it's fast and agile and you'll be able to outrun anyone with it, but it's impossible to capture ships or engage flotillas with it. It simply has too few cannons and too few men.

so there is no super expensive small ship that you can use to quickly engage in melee without any cannons?

The problem is (from the manual): "You cannot attempt to board a ship until there is only one enemy vessel in the vicinity remaining."

Also: "Note: You may only board ships that are smaller than or about the same size as your own ship. A schooner cannot board a Man of War, for example."

Usually the ships you want to board are not alone.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
However, you need to leave your schooner behind as soon as possible - it's fast and agile and you'll be able to outrun anyone with it, but it's impossible to capture ships or engage flotillas with it. It simply has too few cannons and too few men.

Good to hear that, I'm finding it impossible to win any sea battles with the starting schooner and my 30 men. I can get maybe a few successful canon shots in before my ship gets totally obliterated... but then I suck at action games. So looks like I should start trading instead and buy a bigger ship first.

Any sea battle tips? The best I could about after an hour of retrying 10+ times is sinking another schooner but I almost got sinked myself in the process...

Choose right ammo for the aim you're going for. If you want to avoid enemy volleys, keep large distance between you and the adversary. Than it's possible to evade cannonballs. When you have a bigger and more sturdy ship, don't be afraid to ram enemy hull.

Upgrade your ship to the max. It is worth devoting cargo space to upgrades. Also, buy better sails and the sculpture to the front.

Fully upgraded man-o-war can sink entire flotillas composed of other unupgraded man-o-wars ad war galleons.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
now that thx to certain song i know id be buying it at some point and red properly into review I have some questions around ship:

is it linear progression where there is clear bigger = better? Or can I be like han solo or in star traders where small ship can be hard but still viable.
Likewise am I forced into big ship and big cargo space or can I focus on other activities than mercantile

No, bigger ship is no always better. There are ships that trade military capabilities for swiftness and maneuverability. You don't always have to buy man-o-war to finish the game. Besides, for the final mission you receive a proper warship anyway.

so there is no super expensive small ship that you can use to quickly engage in melee without any cannons?

There is frigate for that purpose. It is fast and has decent crew size. In order to win boarding you need more crewmates than the enemy, or support your crew with melee bonuses from officers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom