Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Caves of Lore

Modron

Arcane
Lockpick: you have to make the person you want to do the picking your party leader. That's easy, because you can just drag and drop a character on the right side of the screen to swap with your current leader.
Small caveat being if you pickup a locked/trapped chest, I think whoever you have selected in the inventory screen at the time tries to detect/disarm the trap/pick the lock.

tindrli

Arcane
i was too stupid to figure out how to level up. unintentionally added 4 skills in unarmed combat. is there a tutorial for us stupid people?

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Great review. Good exploration always speaks to me so I may pick it up when I need my fix. Thanks !

LoreMaster

Red Plume
Developer
i was too stupid to figure out how to level up. unintentionally added 4 skills in unarmed combat. is there a tutorial for us stupid people?
Skills level by use, but also you can add a level with skill points, either point by point, or the entire level (where it figures out the points needed and adds it). You probably just attacked some guys hand-to-hand and it leveled.

I also plan to add an informational section on this in-game.

---

Arcane
Just bought. Thank you very much, it has been months since I played an RPG. Not for lack of time (quite the contrary: I have too much free time), but of interest. The main menu alone looks great, I hope that the rest of the game will be as good as you described it.

Contagium

Savant
Patron
I'm so happy to see this game get the love it so rightfully deserves. The best games are the ones that come out of nowhere and surprise us all, instead of the mass-marketed big budget games that always disappoint.

Thanks for review, i was not aware of the game. I picked it up on Steam and played for about 40 minutes. The combat, story, and exploration seem very well thought out. Don't have much time to play today, but now I know what I'll be doing this weekend. Sounds like the perfect game to play while sipping on a little wine.

leuMOX

Literate
Looks good. Will definitely try it.
Whoa, why is the Android version double the price of the Steam version? I assume regional pricing wasn't enabled?
I was unaware of this. Thanks for bringing it to my attention! I will dig deeper and see if there's an option somewhere to do this.

And thanks to everyone for the great reviews and commentary.

Edit: In Google Play I don't have an option to automatically do regional pricing adaptations. It defaults to whatever the US price is, plus Tax. Can I ask what region you are in?
Thanks LoreMaster, I see the Google Play regional pricing is showing up now.

LoreMaster

Red Plume
Developer
Looks good. Will definitely try it.
Whoa, why is the Android version double the price of the Steam version? I assume regional pricing wasn't enabled?
I was unaware of this. Thanks for bringing it to my attention! I will dig deeper and see if there's an option somewhere to do this.

And thanks to everyone for the great reviews and commentary.

Edit: In Google Play I don't have an option to automatically do regional pricing adaptations. It defaults to whatever the US price is, plus Tax. Can I ask what region you are in?
Thanks LoreMaster, I see the Google Play regional pricing is showing up now.
You're welcome. I tried to do the best I could. There are many countries, and not all are listen on Steam or iOS, but I set as many straight as I could.

Turn_BASED

Educated
tpz4bt.png

got an absolutely nutty stat roll

glorygut123

Barely Literate
I just beat my pirated copy (I don't give money to Codexers) and I have to say it's the best indie game I've played in years from here after Grimoire. Camping is broken as fuck but the dialogue system using keywords Ă  la Morrowind is great, and the writing strikes the balance of half-serious half-joking like the great 90's RPGs (Ultima). Some of the mechanics are more esoteric (like moon phases), if this game came with a detailed manual it would be even better. The combat is fun but never difficult, camping breaks any long dungeon difficulty, the dev should have added a hard mode.

LoreMaster

Red Plume
Developer
I just beat my pirated copy (I don't give money to Codexers) and I have to say it's the best indie game I've played in years from here after Grimoire. Camping is broken as fuck but the dialogue system using keywords Ă  la Morrowind is great, and the writing strikes the balance of half-serious half-joking like the great 90's RPGs (Ultima). Some of the mechanics are more esoteric (like moon phases), if this game came with a detailed manual it would be even better. The combat is fun but never difficult, camping breaks any long dungeon difficulty, the dev should have added a hard mode.
Hi! There are difficulty levels if you'd like it to be harder. I am also planning to do something with camping... just not sure what yet. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I take feedback pretty seriously, though it may seem like nothing is happening for a while, there is usually something going on in the background. I'd really appreciate it if you bought the game though (10$ is not that much to ask, I think). I put a lot of effort into it. I'm just a normal guy (not sure what a Codexer is. Someone who has joined this forum?). Now that I think about it, pirated copy might not have difficulty levels yet.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I'm a big fan of the greater-risks=greater-rewards school of RPG exploration (something M&M VI/VII did fairly well, IIRC). Didn't know anything about this game before reading the review. It looks good. Let's hope it continues to build on its good buzz and gets regular updates and/or DLC and doesn't kind of just fade away and become barely remembered like that Serpent in the Staglands game a few years ago, which this reminds me of slightly with a little bit of the Knights of the Chalice games thrown in.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Let's hope it continues to build on its good buzz and gets regular updates and/or DLC
:prosper:
Never understood the desire to be nickle and dimed over just having a really good complete game. He's working on the next installment.
I kind of agree. I've gone cold on DLCs over the last few years. If you're one of those "I'll Wait Until All The DLC Come Out!" types like I am (though I'm trying to ween myself off this bad behavior) playing these games can be a looooong, drawn out "ruined" experience. Yeah, just concentrate on polishing the game with updates instead of going for the cash-grab. I hear one guy on Steam actually made a Furry DLC that started out as an April Fool's day joke. Ick.

Falksi

Arcane
I'm a big fan of the greater-risks=greater-rewards school of RPG exploration (something M&M VI/VII did fairly well, IIRC). Didn't know anything about this game before reading the review. It looks good. Let's hope it continues to build on its good buzz and gets regular updates and/or DLC and doesn't kind of just fade away and become barely remembered like that Serpent in the Staglands game a few years ago, which this reminds me of slightly with a little bit of the Knights of the Chalice games thrown in.
Serpent in the Staglands had the most amazing first few hours I've experience in gaming in years. The atmosphere, the intro, the world...it genuinely could have been a top draw game had the rest of the game been more together and more fleshed out (including the combat).

Gutted they spunked their time and resources away on Mechjammer instead of a sequel or more fleshed out update.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Gutted they spunked their time and resources away on Mechjammer instead of a sequel or more fleshed out update.
That initial pitch for Mechjammer or whatever it was called originally looked good. But damn did they crash that ship hard

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom