Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rome: Total War - Most unbalanced strategy game ever?

Stalin

Scholar
The battles are RTW.

whatusername

Scholar
Stalin said:
Yes the poor greek boy really thinks he is the sith lord. throws a tantrum if you call him nick. The mod is one of the most overrated along with rtr

His DarthFormations mod is quite useful, actually. It improves the AI in battles.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
RTW is a pile of shit.
I hate how the battles only last 5 minutes, the much to fast killingrate, the mini maps and the retarded AI.

Not saying MTW had a significantly better AI, but the battles were just bigger, longer, more tactical.
And the turnbased world mode gets worser with every part of the series. More micromanagment, more boring shit, more distracting from the actual fun part of the game (battles) without offering significantly new options for the player.

MTW 2 is gonna be shit.

RuySan

Augur
RTW battles tended to be short because of the lame AI. In the barbarian invasion expansion they are much better. Some sieges remain were some of the most memorable moments in gaming for me.

Mathus

Novice
Whats happened to Rome Total Realism? Is it done? Why aren't their forums back up? Are they making a 7.0?

Stalin

Scholar
RuySan said:
RTW battles tended to be short because of the lame AI. In the barbarian invasion expansion they are much better. Some sieges remain were some of the most memorable moments in gaming for me.
There are strategy with good AI that don't use map hacks? You gotta be kidding me... In MTW the AI kept running away tills timer run out. The problem is that most people that complain are the ones using cheesy exploits like decimating the enemy with missiles before engagement or just making uber units only stacks OR playing as romans who by the way were TEH MASTER back in the day so no wonder it's easy. Limit your point of view to general's cam and don't pause then it gets lot more fun but then again it's a bloody video game

Dmitron

Arbiter
I loved Shogun Total War, the eastern setting was something fairly different. But Rome? Boring subject matter.

Slith

Scholar
Mathus said:
Whats happened to Rome Total Realism? Is it done? Why aren't their forums back up? Are they making a 7.0?

Whoever's in charge of the project certainly hasn't got his priorities straight. I doubt 7.0 is ever coming out. The development team just hasn't got a fucking clue.

The whole thing with the forums just showed me how grossly incompetent they are. "The forums will be temporarily unavailable for up to the next 24 hours." The forum was down for a month while they switched to a new host. With no explanation as to why it was taking so long. Then as if that wasn't enough, once they get the new forums up and running, they go out of available bandwidth within a few days.

Their given reason for switching hosts was that the new one would be faster and more reliable. Yeah, bullshit. More like "We're switching hosts because these guys are cheaper than our last provider."

Ladonna

Arcane
The latest build of RTR totally turned me off. Probably because of the fake phalanx units....More so because I played the EB beta.

EB has destroyed my enjoyment for other mods. Bugs and all it makes other mods unplayable and too easy. When this mods is finished, RTW will be as it was meant to be...

I agree with others here about the battles. Crap compared to the older games in terms of AI and tactical usage.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Couldn't find any recent thread about RTW, felt it is unnecessary to make a new one, this one has even a perfect title, and last but not least: Stop having an autistic aunerysm.

Beastro

Arcane
Couldn't find any recent thread about RTW, felt it is unnecessary to make a new one, this one has even a perfect title, and last but not least: Stop having an autistic aunerysm.
Tis more autistic to bump a thread like this, I do say.

Tis very Codexian to bump a thread like this as well.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Rome Total War is still one of the best strategy games ever made.

Not vanilla. Vanilla sucks. But the total conversion mods are 10/10.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom