Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Roguelike Updates - Pacifists, Secret Mages, & Orc Pride

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Tales of Middle-Earth

<p><a href="http://blog.te4.org/2010/07/tome/t-engine4-tome4-beta8-unleashed/" target="_blank">Tales of Middle Earth 4 hits Beta 8.</a></p>
<ul>
<li>&nbsp;Much balancing and fixes</li>
<li>&nbsp;Images for nearly all objects</li>
<li>&nbsp;Many new egos and artifacts</li>
<li>&nbsp;Two new &ldquo;secret&rdquo; mage subclasses (unlockable)</li>
<li>&nbsp;Projectile system</li>
<li>&nbsp;New talents for warriors</li>
<li>&nbsp;Two new Orc Prides</li>
</ul>
<p><a href="http://sourceforge.net/apps/wordpress/motm/2010/07/25/menace-of-the-mines-0-5-released/" target="_blank">Menace of the Mines is at 0.5.</a></p>
<ul>
<li>&nbsp;Experience</li>
<li>&nbsp;Skills</li>
<li>&nbsp;Wands</li>
<li>&nbsp;A new throwing system</li>
<li>&nbsp;Potions</li>
<li>&nbsp;Spells and spellbooks</li>
<li>&nbsp;More of everything</li>
</ul>
<p>And local Codexian <a href="http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=11179" target="_blank">soggie</a> is working on a <a href="http://splinteredcore.com/web/2010/08/02/vault-rogue-like/" target="_blank">7 day rogue-like</a>.</p>
<blockquote>InfestedRL is a survival horror rogue-like game where the player have to escape from his infested shipmates in a space ship. The goal is to reach the escape pod, and the player won&rsquo;t get to kill shit at all. Yes, this is perhaps the first pacifist rogue-like ever made. Instead of guns and crowbars, the player gets a wide variety of tools which he can then put to use to improve his survival chances, like prying open malfunctioned doors; barricading walkways; deploy decoy buzzers; etc.<br /><br />Interested? Well, I need help with character sprites. Anybody up to the task?</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

reaven

Educated
Thanks for the update.
Oh and doesn't that seems a little bit ambitious for a 7 day roguelike?

soggie

Educated
reaven said:
Thanks for the update.
Oh and doesn't that seems a little bit ambitious for a 7 day roguelike?

Don't know for sure until I try it out for real. The tilesets, engine and sprites will be done before the 7DRL begins, so I guess I cheated a little? Doesn't break any rules though.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Re: Roguelike Updates - Pacifists, Secret Mages, & Orc P

Jason said:
And local Codexian soggie is working on a 7 day rogue-like
:thumbsup:

Well, I need help with character sprites.
Why use sprites, when you have ASCII?

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Nice idea soggie. Tileset looks cool too. I hope you'll continue developing it after the contest ends.

What language/frameworks are you using for that?

soggie

Educated
@Fowyr

Don't think I need help with sprites anymore, since I managed to draw something that I actually like.

sample-shot-11.png

@barker_s

Pygame (python + SDL) and my own engine written a year ago for a tactics game. Most of the engine's components will be reused for a larger RPG (which I have just began contracted artwork for it), so this RL doubles as a testing/prototype ground for the commercial RPG in the works.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
soggie said:
@Fowyr

Don't think I need help with sprites anymore, since I managed to draw something that I actually like.
Not bad. I wish you luck with this project.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I don't know how you do it but when I run my two feet do not land on the floor at the same time.

soggie

Educated
Suspend your belief.

Jokes aside, I was following a sprite tutorial when I created the 4 frame animation. I just downloaded a full animation sprite tileset reference, which has an 8 frame walk animation for all directions, and will be using that as my reference point instead when I get enough time to work on it.

soggie

Educated
Updates:

Walk animations:

6rqQb5.gif

QJbTek.gif

MVd_Kp.gif

Death animation:

NjmPz0.gif

Sample screenshot:

sample-shot-13.png

The 7DRL challenge will commence on 20th August.

soggie

Educated
Yes they are randomized, but only so because I wanted to test the wall joining algorithm. Right now the algorithm that I've hatched can efficiently draw any kind of room I throw in.

The renderer works like a RL visualizer not unlike Stonesense. It takes in ASCII information and then matches symbols to tilesets, throwing in some randomizations (on variants, like the vents and cracks you see on the walls) to break up the tileset's monotony.

The dungeon generator is not written yet as of now - I'm looking forward to use a system similar to torchlight, where you have a set of pre-generated rooms and all you need to do is to randomly connect these rooms together via hallways.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom