Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Rogue/Ranger type of character

AliceAlcina

Learned
I wish to play rogue/ranger
It must be multiclass and not prestige-kind of way (Trials of Mana)

these are my option for that class combo:
Kingmaker
Wrath alpha
NWN
NWN2
IWD2
Deadfire

Any more? I would rather play Wrath alpha (or maybe postpone that to beta time) with this class combo the most, but I'm looking for more options
must be actual rogue ranger/thief archer game which supports multiclassing
Alternatively, I might consider bard/rogue, but not Baldur's game 2 which has sucky bards.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Also, look at the environment first. If it's a low magic module go for a Str based rogue/ranger, if it's high-magic go dex based. Just speaking building-wise.

Story and interaction-wise, opt for something like Swordflight or A Dance with Rogues. Those modules are built for characters such as yours. I hear the Aielund Saga is excellent too, but I haven't played it.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Stealth is broken in IWD2. I'm the only person that noticed this since its release. I managed to get Lilura to admit it several months ago, but there are some who still refuse to accept that they didn't notice. *Cough, cough* Cael. So it's a great shame that IWD2 was likely 'balanced' by Sawyer.

Apparently Ranger is really powerful in PF:K, as long as you don't multiclass - so according to some (Desiderius) you're better off staying with the main class, or its prestige classes. Admittedly, I'd say that PFK implemented the Ranger class better than most games did.

Ranger pretty much sucked hard in NWN as well, but was better implemented in NWN2 with all of the feats. I'd strongly recommend the Player Resource Consortium for NWN1. Probably the best class mod made for a game ever.

Deadfire? What's that?.

You might want to consider TOEE. Someone might be able to advise you better on TOEE for multiclassing and the latest mods which I thik raise the level cap. I haven't played that game in years.

Rat King

Educated
Deadfire? What's that?.
Allow me to introduce you to Deadfire:
kafpz.jpg

Erebus

Arcane
In Deadfire, there's a companion (Maia) that you'll probably want to make a Ranger/Rogue. The alternatives are making her a single-classed Ranger (bland) and making her a Ranger/Wizard (what ?).

Her special abilities make her a pretty good sharpshooter, and she's likely to outshine a PC who's also a Ranger/Rogue focused on ranged combat.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
You might want to consider TOEE. Someone might be able to advise you better on TOEE for multiclassing and the latest mods which I thik raise the level cap. I haven't played that game in years.

I never played a Ranger in ToEE, is the ranger class even available (even with Temple+) ? I don't remember, probably as there is some goodies like Scout (a bit weird to play but could work well for a multi-classed rogue), Favored Soul and much more.

Even without the level cap, you don't level that much in ToEE so it's a bit harder to multi-class efficiently.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Wasteland 2 is the best option.
Because all your characters are rangers and they all can go rogue on you.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Skyrim is THE stealtharchery simulator.

:troll:

I mean, that was my favorite thing about Oblivion until I made it to an Oblivion gate or whatever and realized they forgot to make that part of the game.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I never played a Ranger in ToEE, is the ranger class even available (even with Temple+) ? I don't remember, probably as there is some goodies like Scout (a bit weird to play but could work well for a multi-classed rogue), Favored Soul and much more.

Even without the level cap, you don't level that much in ToEE so it's a bit harder to multi-class efficiently.

Yup, pretty sure it was. I remember playing with the tracking ability they implemented. It was pretty good if I remember correctly - only played twice years ago. I think it gave you the type of enemy you were to encounter. Didn't IWD only give you arrows? Same as TOB?. So AFAIK that's only x3 games that did it.

Always thought that was a cool feature. Suppose it would be a bit of a spoiler and game altering experience balance-wise to know that your favoured enemy (dragon) was in that cave, but why not? Be worth it just to give balanced developers like Sawyer apoplexy.

J1M

Arcane
What about that game Seven, with the isometric stealth?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom