Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Riven ( Myst 2 )

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Internet archive has the original isos.
TBH, I can get how a lot of games are annoying with disc swapping, but Riven seems oddly comfy when you do it. Helps that the transitions are very obvious and the 5 discs fit in perfectly with the how often Riven uses that number.

Ash

Arcane
I thought I'd try the game out thanks to this thread. Especially after seeing wild claims of it being "the most intelligent game of all time". It's an adventure game so I already know that absolutely is not true, but I thought I'd try something different to play with my girl. It starts with a cool (but needlessly slow) FMV intro that builds mystery from the get go. Very nice graphics, absolutely stunning. Incredible setting that is just begging to be explored. Needless to say, I am impressed.

...unfortunately I have never liked adventure games for their very narrow if not nonexistent gameplay ambitions and this has done nothing to change my mind. The introduction was not a good start in that regard. It's extremely slow-paced, more so than the average adventure game. I've played 15 minutes and I'm already getting annoyed by numerous design flaws...in a game with minimalist gameplay which makes it all the more infuriating:

1. Why am I closing this door behind me every time I walk through? I didn't want to do that, and it is taking forever. I'll tell you why, graphics whoring demand means that they don't want/cant have another separate render of the screens with the door open and door closed. I grant exceptions to games like Resident Evil for this because there are an absolute fuckton of doors and more generally going on, and even then a door animation in RE doesn't take this long.
2. Sometimes, turning left or right will be a 90 degree turn, other times it will be 180 degrees. Obviously another inconsistency arising by demand of the amazing graphics. Fine, but there should be a separate hand icon to indicate which it will be. (hand point with one finger = 90 degree turn. with two fingers = 180 degrees).
3. Oh there is this gondola rollercoaster thing, cool. first I went up the steps just poking around, and on return I notice a blue button at the bottom of the steps. Cool that is obviously important. So I try pressing it. Nothing happens. You have to turn around and THEN press it, that's stupid but ok. Again, yet ANOTHER issue caused by graphics whoring demand (setting up the gondola animation from a certain POV), but this one could have simply been worked around by automatically turning you around after you press the button. They were just too dumb to program that in. Or they could have just allowed the animation and audio to process independent of where the player is looking by utilizing delta timing (requires more code. Basic stuff though).
4. After waiting forever for the gondola to arrive and open, you're treated to a short but pretty ride. I disembark and...it prompts me to CHANGE DISC. Within 15 minutes of playing. That's absolutely absurd. I hadn't even encountered my first real puzzle yet. I don't even have the "disc" prepped for play.

We decided to play something else instead. Beautiful graphics and setting wasted.

Obviously I am completely missing context, true understanding of what the game is. I've barely played the intro, but whatever. It's not for me. Even if these flaws weren't present it still wouldn't be, for it is a basic asf adventure game. Good visuals/setting/acting/writing doesn't override a game with such simplistic, unimpressive and flawed gameplay, for me. I might get some enjoyment out of it but it would leave zero lasting impact, same as every other adventure game I've played. My girl wasn't for it either.

I will say though, that I respect that it generally respects the player, as per classic adventure gaming standard. It demands you use your brain. It's not piss easy. No hand-holding. Everything has a purpose. Adventure games are generally the only storyfag games I respect, even if I don't like them.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Thanks for the recommendation. I think I will. It definitely looks more interesting and intelligent in regards to gameplay design.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Protip: You've always been able to skip the CD-swapping by copying over the files from the CDs to the gamedir.

Doctor Gong

Literate
I admit that I love games with a lot of Hidden lore, and I think I enjoy the lore and concepts of Myst and Riven then the actual gameplay. It also always amazed me (in a good way) that these games sold so many millions of copies. I mean, Myst was made by 2 brothers in a basement and sold six million or so copies. That is awesome.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom