Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Revisiting Might and Magic 7 or 8

SkeleTony

Augur
duerer said:
Luzur said:
play them all,from MM1 to MM9, like i would.

Heh, and keep the woman and the children in a cryostasis chamber while doing so? :)

Anyway, back to the point: as I mentioned before, I *do* like old-school RPGs, but the luxuries of current-gen stuffs spoiled me (automap, journal, etc).

So, here's my confusion: IMHO MM8 does have a cool interface (map with annotations, yeeeah), a somewhat better, more atmospheric start-off, yet it was hated by universally everyone.
On the other hand, MM7's interface is somewhat passable, starts as a ridiculous Monty Python-sytle parody, the very first quest is way off-balanced, but still seems to be the darling of the series...

Am I missing something? :)

Well, I cannot account for your taste in interfaces and such but NONE of these games are any better than the others in terms of how realistic or believable the quests and such are. These are GAMES. M&M 7 is simply more fun than the rest. It has more fun and interesting quests overall IMO but 6 is not so far off that I could put forth some detailed argument against playing that one.

But 8 is terrible regardless of what you think of it's interface.

Zacchaeus

Novice
SkeleTony said:
duerer said:
Now I get it.
Hack&slash fanatics wanna slaughter trolls!

*Chuckles*

That was pretty good...*salutes*

Bust seriously, M&M 7 is better than M&M 6 for several reasons. Not stuck playing all humans, more classes, better dungeons, that card game you can play at taverns and I am too stoned to remember the name of right now... etc.
And M&M 8 is just fucking TERRIBLE! Not only did they do that stupid thing of 'Races = classes'(re: you choose to play either several different types of humans such as warriors, rogues, mages etc but can also play minotaurs and dragons(yes...FUCKING DRAGONS!) and such(with NO variation in roles) as 'classes'.) but that old build engine rip-off looks absurd in the year 2000(which is when the game was released (IIRC) and the dungeons(which I admittedly did not get through many) seem to be stupid from what I have read in reviews and guides and such online.
M&M 9 is actually better than this game(after you apply the fan-made patches).

I enjoyed MM6 much more than MM7. MM6 has much better dungeons (Temple of Varn, Castle Alamos, Castle Darkmoor, Control Center, The Hive, Hall of the Fire Lord), MM7 had mini dungeons in comparison. The only half big dungeons were the tunnels which really sucked imo.

Story was better in MM6, layout of land and dungeons was much better thought out. The land and dungeon layout looks like it was slapped together in MM7 and just doesn't feel as polished as MM6. Don't blame them as they only had a year to make that game. Some things were better in 7 though, more classes and race, guards around town.

Just finished my yearly run of MM6, finished the game around lvl 24 ~ 7hours, ended up clearing out the entire population of dragonsand in 25 mins lol

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Did you use the teleport in the beginning of the game? 7 hrs is fast; I sometimes feel like playing the game again but when I think I'll be battling similar enemies for 70 hrs all positive aspects of the game pale in comparison.

Zacchaeus

Novice
I used the teleporter from new sorpigal to dragonsand to get the +20 stat bonus and enter New World Computing dungeon.

New World Computing dungeon made cleaning out the first couple of dungeons and maps a cakewalk, unlimited food, unlimited cash, high duration day of the gods spell, it served as a base of operation for most of the game. Again much better than the New World Computing dungeon in MM7 which served no purpose.

Once you get your hands on blasters you can kill anything regardless of lvl. If you know the layout of each dungeon you can rush through them fairly quickly without fighting and taking much damage, even with the memory crystal dungeons (unfortunately there isn't any cheating inivisibilty spell in MM6). Temple of Varn was definitely the hardest dungeon at low lvls, getting through the code pool room was quite tough and had to lloyd beacon every 10m. Once you get the blasters it's time to go back to all those dungeons and dragonsand to exact your revenge...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom